High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...

Danny Richie

Re: High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2013, 03:57 pm »
Hey guys, they just finished with the next sample that I asked for. They were able to increase the X-Max from .5mm each way to 2.5mm each way. Now we're looking good. The frequency response looked real good too. I am going to have them make some samples and send them to me for testing.

The Qts came up some as well. -3db down is now 68Hz.  :thumb:  Yeah, th eoptimal box volume increased, but big deal. It was already pretty small.

And sensitivity came up from 87 to 87.3db. Good news there is that it didn't loose any SPL with the added changes.

jcotner

« Reply #61 on: 13 Nov 2013, 07:29 pm »
Given you probably know the times involved in these steps,
what is your best guess for a date these might be available?

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 13 Nov 2013, 07:36 pm »
Given you probably know the times involved in these steps,
what is your best guess for a date these might be available?

Right now they are making me four new samples of the new version with more X-Max.

If I approve them and the price (the price just went up a little for the increased X-Max) then I will ask them about lead times.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day

lokie

« Reply #64 on: 23 Nov 2013, 04:16 am »
I was thinking something like this mono for the bathroom:

Beardy

« Reply #65 on: 24 Nov 2013, 05:24 pm »
My 13 year old made up the X-LS I bought from you.
It's a great sounding system for her laptop with a simple amp Dayton Audio DTA-100a class T amp.

Also interested in options for a simple OB...

watching this thread with interest.
thanks
mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 25 Nov 2013, 11:39 pm »
Four new samples just arrived. These are suppose to have five times the X-max of the first samples.

They look awesome.

If these check out then I may go ahead and bring some in. It is not going to be very profitable, but a lot of people are wanting them. Sometimes you just have to reward your customers...

jeffh

« Reply #67 on: 25 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #68 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:48 am »
.....still lurking.....

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:58 am »
Hey, it measures the same as the first sample. But when I sent a 50, 40, 30, and 20Hz test tones through them and compared them to the first version, the first version easily lost control as power went up. This new one maintained control and sounded much deeper. This was in free air and in a test cabinet.

Looking pretty good.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:03 am »
Sounds good. The N1X's are great speakers but just a tad much on either side of the computer monitor and only 3 feet from my ears. They sound a whole lot better on the other side of the room but I cannot keep them there indefinitely so the need for a high quality small speaker is there.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:31 am »
This also looks really good. I just modeled four of these in a vary narrow tower. Two on the front baffle and two on the back baffle. Only the upper driver on each side plays full range though. The lower driver on each side plays the lower ranges only using a single cap, series network, between the two drivers.

With a super narrow baffle and complete dipole radiation patterns it should image like crazy.

jeffh

« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2013, 02:46 am »
With a super narrow baffle and complete dipole radiation patterns it should image like crazy.
With speakers on the back like this, would you have to have them out in the room like an open baffle speaker?  I'm thinking it would be nice to have these narrow speakers on each side of my flat screen, but they would need to be pretty close to the wall.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #73 on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:03 am »
I have a few questions about these speakers-

What sort of power handling are we looking at? (and would that increase with a higher crossover point may be?)
What sort of dimensions would a ported box (and the port) be?
What sort of dimensions might a sealed box be?
what is the smallest size of sealed box could these fit it?
Could that box be smaller if you ran a higher HF crossover?
What sort of dimensions might the 130 driver and this combo be?
As a centre channel, would this driver be up to task (or would an MMTMM ported combo with 5 of them make an effective/ useful/ nice flat option?)?
If you were going to sell these as a "lifestyle" set up, what sub/ subs would you recommend (assuming someone didnt want to spend the $600 odd on the 12" servo)?
Would a pair of M165X's may be work as a pair of subs with these in a ported (or TL) box as a cheaper option (and may be a Dayton Sub amp?)?

Thanks, (and yes, I also find this driver curious  :)  )

ebag4

« Reply #74 on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:14 am »
Very interested!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #75 on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:15 am »

Dipole or bipole?

dave

ttan98

« Reply #76 on: 26 Nov 2013, 06:28 am »
This also looks really good. I just modeled four of these in a vary narrow tower. Two on the front baffle and two on the back baffle. Only the upper driver on each side plays full range though. The lower driver on each side plays the lower ranges only using a single cap, series network, between the two drivers.

I am considering this topology seriously, therefore I need 8 units for a stereo pair. What would be the approximate total price for 8 units?

Ron

« Reply #77 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:08 pm »
  They look great Danny!  Just what I have been looking for to use with my desk top computer.Any idea how long it will take to get them once you place an order with the manufacturer? You can count me in for a pair.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #78 on: 26 Nov 2013, 01:53 pm »
Four new samples just arrived. These are suppose to have five times the X-max of the first samples.

They look awesome.

Are these shielded? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 26 Nov 2013, 02:29 pm »
Dipole or bipole?

dave

Oh, bipole. Sorry about that. They will be wired in phase.