Super V ground up build - sharing the experience

MichaelHiFi

Re: Super V ground up build - sharing the experience
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2012, 03:40 pm »
After a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth it to DIY spray auto paint. Us Californians, being the clean freaks that we are,  :| and being controlled by the EPA, means that all automotive paint product is water based. According to people in the know, you have to know how to paint with water based automotive paints - and it's tricky. I tried ordering over the net but companys won't ship to California.

I'll need to decide which parts to assemble beforehand, before handing off to my body shop pro. Probably save me mucho time and headache.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2012, 04:39 pm »
Sounds like leaving it to a pro is a good idea.  I really excited about hearing the V1s

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:02 pm »
We're hopeful Morgan gives us a chance to audition our future system  :wink:

pslate

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:37 pm »
We occasionally specify an auto paint finish on our corporate and hospitality interior design jobs. Usually it get cut by the VE axe and we go  with a product from master coating technologies, whose brands include Scuffmaster, Zolatone, and MDC. We have had good luck with spray applications, and they are water-based products. Creslite and Chromatone may work for a super metallic look, but they may not be low VOC. The master painter institute has good list of eco friendly products. I am very jealous of your kit!!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2012, 04:23 pm »
I'll look into that option, especially for the pieces I wish to paint black.

We received the Super V kit yesterday.  :dance:

Incredibly, non of the boxes were destroyed. The only issue centered on one of the subs (haven't unpacked them all yet). The binding posts had come off and the associated parts were floating around the box. It looks like I'm short one little plastic thingy (grommet). You can see one of the remaining 3 on the table next to the sub. I'll perform one more search this morning.

I'm guessing the crossovers are built on one of the wooden parts  :scratch: If you look closely, you'll see the jupiter caps. It's funny how little I know about these speakers. I wondered from all the pics I've seen, where the tweeters are located. On the reverse side of the sub, there's a driver. Looks like a mid, maybe a tweet, maybe a wide range driver. Guessing both as I don't see any tweeters in the kit.

I've always wanted to build my own speakers. I'm a big believer in quality signal transfer and the effects wire have over sound. I cannot afford the high dollar interconnects so I've built many a cable using some recipes from the web. I've got a pretty decent pack of Magic Link II's to compare my home brews with.

I know Danny uses some pretty good wire in his kit. At some point I wouldn't mind trying some gold over silver solid core with only a cotton sleeve. I found the wire in  :duh: can't remember, need more coffee, small Asian country (tough getting old).

Dad is really excited to get rolling on this build. He bugged me all last evening to get started but with Jr, company and needing to cook dinner, and, a lot of music playing on my second system (Montrose, Shiny Toy Guns, Porcupine Tree, Pat Matheny, Al Dimeola, Annie Lennox, Sia, B-Tribe) I couldn't get going.

Off to pick up some screws and a countersink.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2012, 05:24 pm »

Try getting him out of the sweet spot

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2012, 05:47 pm »
Try getting him out of the sweet spot

He see's the camera, he's there.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2012, 02:44 am »
Looking at the pics of the Super V posted in this site, it looks as though the color (Vitamin C) or, Metallic copper, is best painted on the sides and the small central piece in the front between the baffles.

What say you?

morganc

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2012, 03:12 am »

Absolutely Michael.    Let's make it happen soon. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2012, 04:03 am »
Got the Sub boxes built today

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jan 2012, 05:55 am »
When I started and I was doing the statement monitors, which are decent sized, I was quoted $500 for a "new Mercedez" finish. Ymmv.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jan 2012, 03:19 pm »
When I started and I was doing the statement monitors, which are decent sized, I was quoted $500 for a "new Mercedez" finish. Ymmv.

That would be my guess for the cost of painting the 3 pieces in Copper. The rest of the parts I'll paint in satin black myself.

rockdrummer

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jan 2012, 04:10 pm »
The p-audio driver (blue basket) is a coax driver.  There is a two inch tweeter in the back of it.  The part you see is the back of the tweeter. 

Also, the crossover should be attached to a separate piece of wood. 

There is a sticky thread on this GR Research circle where Danny goes over a crossover build.  It is for a V2, but it is a great step by step walkthrough.  I am using it as a guide, and I know many others have too!  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.0

Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm »

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jan 2012, 05:05 am »
Here are some Super-V crossover pics: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98348.msg990393#msg990393

I was  :scratch: what was meant by the crossover box. Now I know. So - so, that means I need a small piece of wood to mount the crossover assembly on then slide into the crossover box. Right?

The sub boxes came out perfect, until I brushed the primer on them. I used the Zinnser as was recommended by many. I can't get the "smoothness" back even after sanding with 100 grit using a palm sander. Now I need a second coat of primer (this time I'll roll it on). I'll be spraying most of the cabinetry with black satin using my Iwata LP400 HVLP gun. The sides and central cross-member, as I mentioned, will visit a automotive body shop for the copper color.

The kit is really fun to work with. Quality throughout. Oh ya, question for Danny if you're following this thread. In the package and in the instructions, there are 2 pieces of laminate for the upper sub enclosure. Since I'm painting the sub enclosures satin black, I'm assuming there's no need to glue those pieces on top of the upper boxes correct? It's a nice touch and thought for those that might want to go stain on their cabinets. Yes?

Thanks for the links guys, mucho helpful!  :thumb:

morganc

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:55 am »
Wow Michael you are buzzing right along man!   You' ll have them done in no time and you're gonna need an amp!   Email or call me to come over for a listen.   

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:25 pm »
Wow Michael you are buzzing right along man!   You' ll have them done in no time and you're gonna need an amp!   Email or call me to come over for a listen.

I know, I've got one on order with a twelve week leadtime. I wish to buy the same amp used from a gentleman who pinged me but I can't get a hold of the owner of Decware to see if he's cool with that.

I've also been told that few preamps play well with the amp so I'm anxious to see if my Allnic will have synergy with the Decware.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:35 pm »
In the package and in the instructions, there are 2 pieces of laminate for the upper sub enclosure. Since I'm painting the sub enclosures satin black, I'm assuming there's no need to glue those pieces on top of the upper boxes correct?

When you assemble the whole thing, the only place any seams are visible is right on top. So the piece of veneer hides the seams. Even if you are painting it, you'll want to use the veneer.

And I'd completely a assemble the sub section before paining it. Nothing wrong with using a slightly textured paint either. It looks good and saves hours of sanding time.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:01 pm »
When you assemble the whole thing, the only place any seams are visible is right on top. So the piece of veneer hides the seams. Even if you are painting it, you'll want to use the veneer.

And I'd completely a assemble the sub section before paining it. Nothing wrong with using a slightly textured paint either. It looks good and saves hours of sanding time.

No doubt I'm performing more work than needed. I wanted to seal all bare wood area's before assembling. Just thought that would be good practice. I'm also hopeful for a perfectly smooth satin finish. I want the back side finish to look as nice at the front. But this priming is going to kill me.  :duh:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jan 2012, 05:01 pm »
So I need to cut a piece of wood (2)that slides into the xover enclosure to build the xover on?