Oppo: To Upgrade or Not?

johzel

Oppo: To Upgrade or Not?
« on: 3 May 2017, 12:04 pm »
I currently have an Oppo BDP-93. About 90% of the time I simply use it as a transport with my Exogal Comet DAC.  I've been considering selling it and upgrading to the new UDP-203.  Would the UDP-203 offer me anything more than the 93 given how I typically use the player?  Thanks!!

witchdoctor

Re: Oppo: To Upgrade or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2017, 12:14 pm »
I currently have an Oppo BDP-93. About 90% of the time I simply use it as a transport with my Exogal Comet DAC.  I've been considering selling it and upgrading to the new UDP-203.  Would the UDP-203 offer me anything more than the 93 given how I typically use the player?  Thanks!!

If you are upgrading to 4K video go for it. If you only need a transport 90% of the time keep what you have.

Phil A

Re: Oppo: To Upgrade or Not?
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2017, 01:18 pm »
I have a 93, a couple of 103Ds and a 203.  I have one system with a 4K TV where the 203 sits for UHD discs (just have a few).  If you're using it as a transport for CDs there is no reason to run out and get it.  As a file player (with attached hard drive or via your network), the 203 can also do DSD and sounds a bit smoother than the 93.  I don't use my 203 that way as I have a DAC in the system with a music server.