New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

cujobob

Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #240 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:48 pm »
A random post I found about some differences between Kapton and Kaladex, is this the reason for different distortion measurements (they mention Kapton being noisy when vibrated, but also ideal for this application)?

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/22/226055.html

Danny, (if you care to share this) why did your Neo 3 version use Kapton instead of Kaladex as has been previously used?

I've always appreciated the Neo 3 from BG, in my mind, you can't really do any better without dropping serious coin.

Danny Richie

« Reply #241 on: 30 Jan 2020, 02:04 pm »
A random post I found about some differences between Kapton and Kaladex, is this the reason for different distortion measurements (they mention Kapton being noisy when vibrated, but also ideal for this application)?

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/22/226055.html

Danny, (if you care to share this) why did your Neo 3 version use Kapton instead of Kaladex as has been previously used?

I've always appreciated the Neo 3 from BG, in my mind, you can't really do any better without dropping serious coin.

You can't measure distortion with any accuracy outside of an anechoic chamber. And those numbers won't tell you how it sounds.

Kapton handles heat better.

DaveFred

« Reply #242 on: 24 Mar 2020, 06:35 pm »
Are there any commercial waveguides that work with the GR Neo 3?

Or suggestions on a homemade one?

Danny Richie

« Reply #243 on: 25 Mar 2020, 01:26 am »
Are there any commercial waveguides that work with the GR Neo 3?

Or suggestions on a homemade one?

I will be testing one shortly.

ani_101

« Reply #244 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:34 pm »
Okay, I measured a group of them and the measurements looked real good. I think the consistency is a little better than the ones I used to get from BG. And the responses sure look good in the NX-Otica baffle with wave guide that I was measuring them in.

BG made these in two versions. There was a standard version that had five rows of magnets and then a pdr version that only had three rows of magnets and a row of felt filling the two outside rows on both sides. The pdr version had reduced sensitivity due to less motor strength. Also, the added felt on the sides falls under a patent that BG owned. And it is now owned by new owners, Christy Digital.

What I had BG do for me was build a base unit with all five rows of magnets but add the felt to the front side only. This gave the improved off axis response of the pdr version while keeping the higher sensitivity of the base model.

Now if I sell them with felt on the outside rows like the pdr version from BG then I am opening myself up for a patent suit. So they will be sold as seen here and open in all rows, front and back.

However, my testing reveals that a thick black yard feed through the outer rows produces the same effect and response as the felt used in the BG models.

So I can supply the tweeters and the yarn, but you guys will need to install the yarn yourselves. It is quite easy though.

Just wrap a little tape around the end of the yarn so that you can feed it through the outer rows.

Sliding it through with a toothpick is very easy. And then just pull it up and out in the end.

Then just trim off the tape on the end and push the end down into the outer hole using the end of a zip tie.

Then trim the other end off and do the same.

It's pretty easy and just takes a few minutes. Just don't use anything magnetically conductive or the magnets will try and grab it.

Hi Danny

these don't seem to have the back cup so looks like the dipole ones. Is the yard required on the backside too to match the front dispersion? Looking at the image, it looks like the yard will be tightly pressed agaist the white felt and the flim. I am planning to buy a pair and install the yarn, but not sure if this can be used in dipole or mono pole or both and what sort of chamber should i use for mono pole?

Is there some simple waveguide that can be created / routed on the baffle for the front / back for dipole use?

I came here directly from the product page - Apologies if these questions are already covered, some pointers would be helpful.

Thanks and Regards
Ani

DaveFred

« Reply #245 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:42 pm »
Hello Danny,

Do you think this one might fit?

https://radianaudio.com/products/lt2-wave-guide

Thank you,

David.

Danny Richie

« Reply #246 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:37 pm »
Hi Danny

these don't seem to have the back cup so looks like the dipole ones. Is the yard required on the backside too to match the front dispersion?

We only use the yarn on the front side.

Looking at the image, it looks like the yard will be tightly pressed agaist the white felt and the flim. I am planning to buy a pair and install the yarn, but not sure if this can be used in dipole or mono pole or both and what sort of chamber should i use for mono pole?

Right now we are just using them in open baffle applications. And the yarn is very little filling that area. It touches but is not pressed against the diaphragm material.

Is there some simple waveguide that can be created / routed on the baffle for the front / back for dipole use?

Peter has sent me a wave guide to test that he CNC cut. I should have tested it already, but have just not had time to touch it. It's coming.

Danny Richie

« Reply #247 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:38 pm »
Hello Danny,

Do you think this one might fit?

https://radianaudio.com/products/lt2-wave-guide

Thank you,

David.

Those only fit the new Radian drivers.

ani_101

« Reply #248 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:28 pm »
We only use the yarn on the front side.

Right now we are just using them in open baffle applications. And the yarn is very little filling that area. It touches but is not pressed against the diaphragm material.

Peter has sent me a wave guide to test that he CNC cut. I should have tested it already, but have just not had time to touch it. It's coming.

Thanks you, this is helpful. You have the tweeters in stock i assume for the near future.

Awaiting the waveguide details.

Thanks!

quailpark

« Reply #249 on: 28 Sep 2020, 12:57 am »
This is an excellent thread. I’ve just joined the mix and am wondering why nobody has mentioned that Danny’s wonderful Line Array replicated the wonderful Infinity IRS systems of the 80’s. They IRS is one of the top systems ever built and I’m sure Danny’s system produces even better sound. With the Neo10s in such short supply and so expensive, why not use the Neo8 with large wings like the IRS did? The EMIM had very similar response to the Neo8 but when used in large numbers and with wings, it was able to produce prodigious amounts of low base down to ~150hz if memory serves me right.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #250 on: 28 Sep 2020, 01:07 am »
The NEO8's will not go down low enough in frequency by themselves to go to 150Hz.  That is why they are NEO3's and NEO10's in Danny's planar line array.

The other thread is where we are talking about both the GRS NEO3 and NEO10 style drivers.  I have both drivers in a Super Mini baffle for testing.

Once I get get a rain free day, will be taking the baffle outside for a set of CLIO Pocket measurements.  The results will be in the other thread.  Hopefully that might be tomorrow as the forecast is good.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Overall sound quality of the GR Neo-3s
« Reply #251 on: 21 Oct 2020, 11:58 pm »
Without getting involved with the myriad of details and understanding that if ever I was a golden-eared audiophile I'm sure not now, does the GR Neo-3 have a similar very-hi-quality treble that the B-G Neo-3 PDR has/had?

In 2011 I became dissatisfied with the quality of the treble of my Avantii IIIs' ring radiator (RR) and after a fair amount of advice (some advising me NOT to do it), I simply replaced the RR with a G-B Neo-3 PDR.

The treble sounded GREAT, and, to my surprise, it worked excellently with the original 3-pole x-over, so all I did was add a wool-felt pad.

I think it's time to do a similar thing with the silk-dome tweeters in my Vienna Acoustics Mahlers.

Of course, the FIRST thing I'll need to determine is how to remove the originals.   :oops:

JakeJ

« Reply #252 on: 22 Oct 2020, 12:44 am »
A daunting task to be sure.  I think, just looking at the VA tweeter and not seeing the rest of the cabinet, you are going to have to get inside the cabinet through one of the other driver holes.  I'm betting there are studs in the back side of that faceplate that need to have nuts removed to pull the entire assembly.  Those four screws around the tweeter dome just holds the driver to the faceplate.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Danny Richie

Re: Overall sound quality of the GR Neo-3s
« Reply #253 on: 22 Oct 2020, 01:17 am »
Without getting involved with the myriad of details and understanding that if ever I was a golden-eared audiophile I'm sure not now, does the GR Neo-3 have a similar very-hi-quality treble that the B-G Neo-3 PDR has/had?

In 2011 I became dissatisfied with the quality of the treble of my Avantii IIIs' ring radiator (RR) and after a fair amount of advice (some advising me NOT to do it), I simply replaced the RR with a G-B Neo-3 PDR.

Ours is a little cleaner and clearer than the BG version but very similar.

DaveFred

« Reply #254 on: 20 Feb 2021, 02:21 pm »
I will be testing one shortly.

re:waveguide for Neo 3.

Hello Danny,

Any update on the waveguide for the Neo 3?

Thank you,

David.

Danny Richie

« Reply #255 on: 28 Feb 2021, 01:52 am »
re:waveguide for Neo 3.

Hello Danny,

Any update on the waveguide for the Neo 3?

Thank you,

David.

We found it much easier to CNC mill them into the front baffles.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #256 on: 28 Feb 2021, 02:46 am »
I'm still messing around with waveguide, rods & deep cup ideas, but the issue I've noticed so far is throat cancellations, esp with the rods.
But I still need to get back to tweaking the deep cup idea for a proper fitment with the GR Neo3 as well as the GRS-3 & BG Neo3.
Hopefully I can work on it over the next couple days.