Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Solid state 20W amps
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2013, 01:39 am »

D.D.

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2013, 02:04 am »
The point of the Low Wattage circle is to share experience of the benefits of using a low wattage setup.  It's safe to assume that the speakers for low wattage setups are VERY efficient, so the idea is to not need a lot of power to begin with.  The points about clipping are valid.  Suggest a review of the Pass First Watt website for better explanations of the benefits of low wattage amps WITH the correct speakers.
After all, Paul Klipsch was fond of saying: "what this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier"  For his K-Horns, that remains true.

Carry On.   :thumb:

acresm22

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2013, 03:17 am »
Just read several reviews of the Clones Audio 25i, including the recent 6 moons write up. Wow...if you're looking for a 20 watt ss amp, I doubt you'd do much better.
I run a pair of Klipsch LaScalas with a 2.5 watt Music Reference em7 amp. Love, love the sound, but wonder from time to time how a really good low powered ss amp would sound with the Klippies. I've tried a passel of tripath amps and they leave me wanting. I must say, the Clones has me thinking...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2013, 10:10 am »
I haven't heart it, but base on it design (chipamp) and reviews, it should sound more musical than solid state without the hassle of tube http://www.clonesaudio.com/

Note downside of chip amps (especially DIY's):  I home auditioned one about 10 years ago and it had a huge 60 Hz (power supply induced) hum (even with a tethered power supply (in a separate cabinet) and it picked up a local FM station (about 30 dB lower than the "real" signal).

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2013, 02:31 pm »
Hey, Anyone heard of or remember these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200923230489&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123

Heard them with Salk Songtowers, Archos, HT-2, Audio Nirvana 8, Ellis 1801, Song Surrounds, etc.
Surprised everyone that heard it.
25wpc with speaker protect relays too.
Really good when I bypassed the preamp section.
2 for 30.00
Cheaper than pizza.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2013, 02:34 pm »
Sorry, Not Affiliated.

kinku

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 02:59 pm »
So for the older post suggesting to use higher power amp for low power rated speakers,sorry I have to say it is a myth. :oops:
Read the paper from Peavey here
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/poweramps/HOW_MUCH_POWER.pdf
"If you are looking for a recommendation so that you would be relatively free of
blowing up the speaker under almost any real world condition, you should pick
an amplifier that can deliver the continuous rating of the speaker or a little less."
Conclusion if my speaker is rated at 15W continuous power(50W peak power)  use an amp rated less than or equal to 15W. :thumb:
But I checked with madisound and they confirmed the rated power for FF125WK is 50 W RMS!!!!!!!!!