CI VDA 2 vs Scott Nixon

Mike82

CI VDA 2 vs Scott Nixon
« on: 17 Apr 2009, 07:13 pm »
The VDA2 and Scott Nixon DACS are on my final list. Any comments from the CI folks that can help me with my descision.

I am using a tube amp (Leben 300xs)

Thanks,
Mike

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: CI VDA 2 vs Scott Nixon
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:51 pm »
IMO most tubes are used to flavor the sound (in some euphoric way).  Adding extra tubes adds another layer of flavoring and gets you farther from the original.  Initially its fun, but eventually gets old.

USAudio

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:37 am »
I can't really comment on the Scott Nixon DACs as I've never heard one but I've been very happy with my VDA-2 (and VAC-1), especially for the price.
Both the build quality and sound are excellent.
I rarely see a negative comment about the VDA-2 and plenty of accolades ... in particular about what a great value it is.
Tone Magazine recently gave the VDA-2 their "Exceptional Value Award":  http://www.ciaudio.com/vda2.html

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2009, 05:51 am »
I've heard both. 

I auditioned the VDA-2 a couple of years ago, and while I found it wasn't for me, it was a very good DAC indeed.  It would be interesting to audition again and see what I think now (both my system and my preferences have changed substantially). 

My guess is that it would be a good match for your Leben. 

As for the comment that tube gear is euphonic, my recollection is that Leben is slightly warm of neutral while being quite transparent and revealing.  Leben remains a highly sought after, and desireable brand.  If I could afford to own another system, a Leben would be high on my list, the build quality is first rate and the switches and dials are dreamy.

Scott Nixon makes a good product but it's underwhelming.  While being utterly non-fatiguing, it's also utterly boring and tepid.  My impression is that the products as of today are a bit dated and the rest of the audio world has moved on.  As I understand, he's working on some new designs, but they're not yet ready for production last I checked.

For my money, the CIAudio VDA-2 gets the nod.  A good power supply makes a real difference, so I'd certainly consider the upgraded power supply too.

Mike82

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for the comments.

CSI

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:28 pm »

I'd go with the VDA.2. I've heard and used lots of DACS over the last 6 years and the only one that is clearly better is the RWA Isabellina which is considerably more expensive. Opt for the power supply. It makes a small but audible and worthwhile difference.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2009, 11:22 am »
Buy the VDA2 and then a tube buffer after it if you may.  If you also incorporate one of the CI passive preamps, you can place the buffer in a "tape loop" type configuration by using the second output of the VDA, along with the second input of the passive. That way it is easily switched in or out of the system.

I did this using a Yaqin, although haven't done any tube rolling (yet). Listen mostly with it out of the chain, but fun to play with.

Adriel

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 06:06 pm »
I have both. I am able to directly compare them on equal footing, using an s/pdif distribution amplifier. I am in the process of writing the comparison.

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:36 pm »
Another happy vda-2 customer. I really love this dac. Not really a helpful comment, I suppose, but true nonetheless. :)

BeerCan

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009, 10:46 pm »
I also have a vda2 and I like it very much.  Well worth the money :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:00 pm »
IMO most tubes are used to flavor the sound (in some euphoric way).  Adding extra tubes adds another layer of flavoring and gets you farther from the original.  Initially its fun, but eventually gets old.
imo, tubes are used to get you closest to the real sound of real music.  the more you use, the closer you get to the original event, if not the original recording.   it never gets old listening to recordings that actually sound close to the real thing!  8)

that said, i would stick w/the vda because i do not prefer the non-oversampling sound, from digital hardware.  but, some do, so you may wanna check it out, even if not the scott nixon dacs...

ymmv,

doug s.

MttBsh

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:37 pm »
I've owned a Scott Nixon oversampling Tubedac Plus with 12VAC 4A toroidal power supply since 2003 - it sounds wonderful and has never failed me. At the time it easily displaced the Monarchy 22B dac I had in my system. Because of it's reliability and great sound quality, I've not auditioned any other dacs in the past 6 years. I noticed someone's remark in this thread stating that the SN dac is "underwhelming, boring and tepid". I never thought of it that way, but I'm wondering if any others feel the CI VDA2 with Vac 1 power supply would make a worthwhile upgrade. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

knut_the_viking

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:27 pm »
I have both. I am able to directly compare them on equal footing, using an s/pdif distribution amplifier. I am in the process of writing the comparison.

Wonder how this comparison write-up is going...