VDA•2 First Impressions

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« on: 20 Jan 2006, 12:00 am »
Hi Dusty,

I have had the VDA2 in my system for about 2 weeks and just wanted to post a note to give some feedback:
The first couple of days in my system, it sounded rather subued, set-back, almost too laid back - lacking "space/air". It was like this for the first week and then on the 8th day, the treble seemed to "pop" into place.

It's a very nice sounding DAC; full bodied with good dynamics. If memory serves me right, it has a more "grown-up" sound than the Musical Fidelity TriVista tube DAC that I had. The MF had a slight edgy treble whereas the VDA2 is very smooth.

There is a real sensation of the layering of different textures of instruments/performers. The depth seems easier to distinguish than the AckdAck that I currently own. This is not by much.

There are areas where I hope VDA2 will come to full bloom in due course. I'm still not getting the "air" that I hoped for which I have on the Ack. It may be an issue of presentation style....

(Got to go home - to be continued  :o )

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2006, 12:59 am »
Right, just got home...

As with any component, it can only sound good if the other elements of the system works with and not against it. I suspect that the VDA will work superbly with a brighter sounding system. I used the VDA2 with my Hornshoppe Horns and found it to be an excellent match. It gave the Horns a lot more body and midrange warmth. The mid/upper bass was very well shaped and solid. The VDA2 has an almost "tube like" quality - warm and smooth which worked well with the Horns.

With my Radial RL3's are already quite warm and smooth with a softish presentation of the bass notes. The VDA2 has similar qualities and seem to exacerbate those characteristics when combined with the RL3s. Not 100% sure, but this is my initial thought. I need to have another A/B with the Ack dAck.

On thing I found which may please some potential CI Audio customers:
The VDA2 doesn't appear to be very fussy with transports. I have the Audionote CDT2 and the Pioneer 757 universal player and they sounded very similar with the VDA2. Another thing is that the VDA 2 seem much more forgiving of poor recordings and also  the sound quality does not seem to vary different times of the day (I have the VAC).

Overall, I very pleased with the VDA2 and want to congratulate Dusty for providing a very good sounding DAC for such a reasonable price. I have to do some more listening and will give further thoughts in due course.

Regards

George

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2006, 04:53 am »
Hi George,

Thanks for your feedback. I think you've described it's character pretty well. We use Rifa/Evox film coupling caps in the output section, which take a long time to break in and for the sound to "open-up"...but it's worth the wait  :)

-Dusty-

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2006, 02:06 am »
Hi Dusty

Thanks for your reply. Just had another listen to the VDA2 tonight and it is continuing to improve. Are you able to say how long such a run-in period should take before everything evens out?

There is a distinct metallic "click" when a CD gets inserted into the CD transport. Whats is happening there? It sounds like there's a mechanical switch or something. Is there a wear and tear issue?

Regards

George

PS - Keith at AngelSound Audio is a real gent - excellent service and friendly advice.

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2006, 04:18 am »
Complete break in can take over 300 hrs. They don't change drastically, but tend to sound more open and three-dimensional over time.

The "click" is the mute relay disengaging when lock is achieved. The relay is not in the signal path (simply shorts the + and - outputs together). We used the same part in VDA-1 and have never seen one fail in over 3 1/2 years. If it did fail, it would still play music but not mute when no signal is present.

Thanks for your comments regarding AngelSound...Keith has been a pleasure to deal with on our end too..we're glad to have him representing us in the UK.

Grover

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2006, 05:21 pm »
There is a real sensation of the layering of different textures of instruments/performers.

I've had the VDA2 in my system for about a week, and would have to agree with the above statement.  I've been using the Heart CD6000 tube CD player for a couple of years.  In adding the DAC to that player, the VDA2 adds a textural complexity to the music lacking in the standalone CD player.  There is a greater sense of soundstage depth with instruments occupying their own space.  There is a clarity when using the VDA2 that was lacking before.  Perhaps it's a lowering of the noise floor, but I'm noticing is greater detail in the musical presentation.  A group of background singers don't sound homogenized any longer.  They sound like individual voices harmonizing in the background.  The sound is very engaging.  It's a total cliche', but I feel as though I'm really hearing CDs that I've had in my collection for years, as if they were different disks.  There's just a bunch of stuff I've been missing that  the VDA2 brings out very clearly and musically.

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2006, 08:29 pm »
I bought a 2nd-hand Heart 6000 tube player about 2-3 years ago.There was something in the bass area that I couldn't live with. The Scott Nixon DAC basic gave a much more solid bass and did a better job all round. The VDA2 seems to work fine with most transports whereas my Scott Nixon sounded terrible with the Heart as transport!  :(  Anyway, it stayed in my system for about 2 weeks before I sold it on.

The VDA2 reminds me of the SN DAC in the areas of midrange and an overall warm(ish) presentation. It has, overall, a much more refined and grown-up sound than the SN or the ackdAck V1x.

rmihai0

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:12 pm »
Thank you George.

Images

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2006, 04:11 am »
The above posts make mention of the two other DACs I would consider, the SN DAC and the Ack dAck.  The design approch of the VDA2 appeals to me, not that I am any expert, but the concept seems to sensibly walk a middle ground between the two schools, NOS and Over Sampling.  Of course, I can find reviews of these two other DACs, but as yet I am unaware of any press that critiques the VDA2.  Is this in the works, Dusty, and how long should I wait?  My system now is in need of rebuilding and I think my Monarchy monos will be replaced (ah, maybe I'll keep 'em though -- I really like them) by CI D100s or D200s.  If for nothing more than system synergy, the VDA2 would seem the logical choice to marry with CI amplification... but if someone wants to argue that point, I will gladly listen.  I am taking too many words to say that I want to buy the VDA2.  I guess I just need some more feedback to push me in that direction.  FWIW, the current system consists of a Pioneer DV-578A, Van Alstine PAS 3iSL, & DIY two-ways (MTM configured) w/ Scanspeak 8545 drivers in series for a 4 ohm load.  I primarily listen to classical music, both orchestral and chamber.  BTW, I put my old Parasound DAC in the system (I forget the model) and took it out immediately.  Digtial devices have obviously progressed greatly in the past 4-5 years.

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2006, 04:30 am »
Reviews on VDA-2 are going to be awhile...we have requests from several but are still filling orders at this time. The first ones going out for review will be in mid February, and then it usually takes several months before something actually gets printed.

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2006, 11:59 pm »
Images,

IMO it really depends on your personal preferences and how you prioritise them to work within your system. If you're a sucker for timing, then the SN or ackdAck are strong in this area. If you're into treble delicacy, "air" and tighter bass, then the ack. The VDA2 is particularly strong in the midrange and powerful dynamics with good layering of performers. The SN is also very nice with midrange warmth.

I will probably buy the 2V RMS high resolution ackdAck V2 when funds permit just to find out the improvements. My hope is that the slight lack of dynamics (possibly due to battery power) has been resolved.

The VDA2 has the advantage of 2 inputs and can be left on 24/7.  :)

giorgino1

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2006, 02:04 am »
Hi Dusty,

I wonder if you can shed some light on my query:
1) I have the VAC powering the VDA2. Does the VAC provide any mains filtering/conditioning of is it purely a converter from 240V to 12(?)V?
2) The second RCA outputs of the VDA2 is -180 degree phase. Can it be used to power a second amplifier? If so, do just switch to -180 on the front switch to change to 0 dgrees?

Thanks for your help

George

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2006, 04:07 am »
1) I have the VAC powering the VDA2. Does the VAC provide any mains filtering/conditioning of is it purely a converter from 240V to 12(?)V?

VAC-1 uses a very good high current/low output impedance transformer and some minor filtering on both the input and output side. The voltage selector/dual primaries were included for use in 220~240v countries.

2) The second RCA outputs of the VDA2 is -180 degree phase. Can it be used to power a second amplifier? If so, do just switch to -180 on the front switch to change to 0 dgrees?

Yep!  :)

stryker

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2006, 04:42 am »
Quote from: Grover
I've had the VDA2 in my system for about a week, and would have to agree with the above statement.  I've been using the Heart CD6000 tube CD player for a couple of years.  In adding the DAC to that player, the VDA2 adds a textural complexity to the music lacking in the standalone CD player.  There is a greater sense of soundstage depth with instruments occupying their own space.  There is a clarity when using the VDA2 that was lacking before.  Perhaps it's a lowering of the noise floor, but I'm noticing is greater detail in the musical presentation. A group of background singers don't sound homogenized any longer. They sound like individual voices harmonizing in the background. The sound is very engaging. It's a total cliche', but I feel as though I'm really hearing CDs that I've had in my collection for years, as if they were different disks. There's just a bunch of stuff I've been missing that the VDA2 brings out very clearly and musically.

Just playing mine after arriving today. I agree with this and you nailed it so I won't repeat. The sound just impresses the heck out of me right out of the box. My transport is a DVP-S7000 with some power rectification mods but no clock mods or digital section mods (I believe). Just loving it right now. Will try and post initial impressions at end of weekend.

Grover

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2006, 10:11 pm »
I've had the VDA-2 for just over two months now and I've been contemplating doing a more detailed review of it.  

Truth is, I'm having so much fun "listening for enjoyment" that I'm not very excited about putting my analytical/critical hat on and doing a review.  
It must be a Right Brain vs. left Brain sorta thing, and my Right Brain is having waaaaaaaaay to much fun with the VDA-2 to give the Left Brain any listening time.

Way to go Dusty!  This thing ROCKS!  
and it also classicals, and folks, and jazzes, and instrumentals too by the way.

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2006, 03:45 am »
Thanks Grover,

I've always felt that a good system allows you to get into the music and not think about the components  :D

stryker

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2006, 02:29 am »
After having the opportunity to listen to a highly-modified Muscial Hall CD25 with clock upgrade, Zap Filter 2, and other power supply and capacitor mods, I can surely say the VDA-2 is an incredible dac. The VDA2 was fed by a "mildly" modified Sony DVP-S7000. It has a lively yet very smooth sound that is extremely engaging to listen to. With its balanced option it's an incredible bargain. It could easily sell for twice as much and still be a deal.

denjo

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2006, 10:16 am »
Dusty
Congrats for another feather in your cap (VHP1 Review)! Well done!
I am enjoying the D200s immensely. In fact, the D200s show that perhaps my weakest link is my CDP, a universal Philips 963SA (modded), that plays redbook CD, SACD and DVDs. I am contemplating the VDA2 (with high current supply) and wonder if this should be the route to take (using my existing CDP as transport) or should I be looking for a new standalone CDP? One view I heard is that the VDA2 will only begin to shine if the CD transport is high quality (like a TEAC DV-50 or better). What is your view? What kind of price range DAC is the VDA2 competing with? This will give me some sense of the League that the VDA2 finds itself in. Many thanks, Dennis.

CIAudio

VDA•2 First Impressions
« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2006, 04:03 pm »
I am contemplating the VDA2 (with high current supply) and wonder if this should be the route to take (using my existing CDP as transport) or should I be looking for a new standalone CDP? One view I heard is that the VDA2 will only begin to shine if the CD transport is high quality (like a TEAC DV-50 or better). What is your view? What kind of price range DAC is the VDA2 competing with? This will give me some sense of the League that the VDA2 finds itself in.

We get great performance using even inexpensive DVD players with VDA-2, but a good transport makes it even better. I really think VDA-2 rivals anything regardless of cost. It won't be embarrassed compared to the best.

Images

A Good Transport
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2006, 06:39 pm »
What, then, actually makes for a good transport?   It seems to me that most postings refer to jitter reduction and clocking issues when describing a "good transport."  Aren't these the very items that are intended to be addressed by the addition of an outboard DAC?  If this is the case, is a good transport then defined primarily by mechanics, meaning it dependably rotates is a consistent fashion and speed without vibration when engaged, or what?  Dusty, I particularly welcome your input regarding this.