D-200 Class D Monoblocks Now Shipping!

CIAudio

« on: 12 Jun 2005, 02:27 am »
The first D-200's are now shipping!
200w into 8 ohms/325w into 4 ohms
$2299 per pair.
Product details and photos will be on our website by the end of the week. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions here, or email us at info@ciaudio.com

-Dusty-

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2005, 08:56 pm »
D-200 info and photo's are now on the website.

http://www.ciaudio.com

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
D-200 Performance!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2005, 09:29 pm »
These REALLY are KILLER guys!  I have been running mine for about a week now and I have to say that they are easily the best amps that I have ever owned.  I haven't had EVERYTHING obviously, but below is a list of amps that I have owned or heard in my system:

Atma-Sphere M60 MKII OTL's.
Sim Audio W-3
Bryston (friends amp, not sure of model)
Threshold Class A (Ditto above)
Jolida 302b
Channel Islands Audio D-100 (Close second to D-200)

The Atma-Sphere OTL's were magical in many ways, but without autoformers or a speaker that is ideally matched to them, they lack bass and detail to my ears.

The Sim Audio was exceptional in all regards, but simply can't hold a candle to the D-200 in terms of power, speaker handling, musicality, etc.  The rest of the SS amps that I owned or auditioned simply sounded too sterile, cold or hard to me.  The D-100 monoblocks are also exceptiona, but the extra 100W of the D-200's and some differences in design I believe, simply make them a slightly better overall performer.  As would be expected, given their higher price point, etc.

I just highly recommend these and have found them to be the perfect match for our preamp.

I don't represent Dusty's products as a dealer and we are not offering mods for these amps.  They are simply exceptional just the way they are!

Dan Wright

Freejazz

Channel Island Audio D-100s
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2005, 01:37 am »
I have to second Dan's comments on the new Channel Islands Audio amps.  I do not even have the D-200s, but have the D-100 monos.   These amps are the finest amps I have ever owned ... and I have owned about twenty over the years, from DIY to Joule Electra Marquis and Wolcott Presence mono blocs.

They are really special and just seem to be right on with the music.  All the audiophile "goodies" are there - bass response is exceptional, the highs are extended and the midrange is just right.  They handle my Gallo Ref IIIs better than any amp I have tried and just seem to bring out the best in them.

Soundstaging, dynamics, etc. are all excellent.   Yet the best thing I can say about them is that they just seem to bring me closer toward replicating he recorded event - live or studio recordings are just so right.

I am only a customer ... and a huge fan of these amps.

WK446

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2005, 01:07 am »
Dan:

What type of speakers and preamp are you running with the monoblocks if I might ask?

Has any one tried running these amps with 4 Ohm resistive speakers?

enzo

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2005, 06:29 pm »
Dan, Freejazz:

Are you two running the stock power cords directly from the socket, or some other esoteric combination?? Just curious how sensitive these class Ds are to AC quality...

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2005, 06:50 pm »
Quote from: WK446
Dan:

What type of speakers and preamp are you running with the monoblocks if I might ask?

Has any one tried running these amps with 4 Ohm resistive speakers?

Quote from: modwright
I just highly recommend these and have found them to be the perfect match for our preamp.

I'm not speaking for Dan, but I am sure he is running his own 9.0 SWL preamp.  

Details can be found here:  http://www.modwright.com/products/index.php?product_id=21

As far as speakers go he was using some modified Greybeard loudspeakers which appear to be 6 Ohm or 4 Ohm depending on model.

Details can be found here:  http://www.gbaudio.com/main.htm  

Maybe Dan or Dusty can chime in on the 4 Ohm load.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2005, 07:44 pm »
Dan is using the Greybeards (not sure which model) and the ModWright SWL 9.0 Preamp.

D-200's have no problem with low impedance loads, recommended minimum impedance is 2 ohms.

-Dusty-

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2005, 07:54 pm »
Are you two running the stock power cords directly from the socket, or some other esoteric combination?? Just curious how sensitive these class Ds are to AC quality...

I know Dan was using the stock cords when I spoke to him last week. I'm currently using some 14g shielded Volex cords (direct to the wall socket), which made a slight improvement. The amps are very efficient are don't require real heavy gauge cords, but the shielding seems to be beneficial.

-Dusty-

jcoat007

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:29 pm »
Dusty:

What has your experience been with break-in on these?  How long until they are at their peak?

enzo

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:04 pm »
Dusty:
How much voltage can the D-200s handle at their inputs?? Many tube pre-amps output 20V or more which can seriously overload the input pair of transistors of most solid-state amps, whether the power amp is turned on or off.

Is your class D design capable of withstanding 20V or more without introducing noise, and/or diminishing the lifespan of the UCD modules?

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:34 pm »
Break-in is not much of an issue, they'll sound very good after getting up to normal operating temperature (about an hour). They will continue to improve for the first 200-300 hours.

-Dusty-

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:49 pm »
How much voltage can the D-200s handle at their inputs?? Many tube pre-amps output 20V or more which can seriously overload the input pair of transistors of most solid-state amps, whether the power amp is turned on or off.

D-200 has an input sensitivity of 2v for the rated output of 200w into 8 ohms, which would be very low on the volume pot of the preamp. Overdriving it while playing music would simply cause the amp to clip.
Extreme overdriving could cause the input stage to fail.

Some tube pre's will have a very high voltage at turn-on, but usually at low current. If this is the case, we can add a simple modification to protect against it.

Freejazz

Sytem I am using with the D-100s
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2005, 02:44 am »
CD Player - Consonance Droplet
IC to pre: Michael Wolff Silver Gold Carbon w/ Acrolink Carbon RCAs
PREAMP: Sonic Euphoria PLC
IC to amps: Michael Wolff Silver Gold Carbon w/ Acrolink Carbon RCA
AMPS- CIA D-100s
Speaker cables: RidgeStreetAudio Poiema!! Signature
Speakers - Gallo Ref IIIs

AC Cords:
Consonance Droplet - Michael Wolff Silver Carbon Source w/ Acrolink carbon connectors - palladium over gold over bronze
Channel Islands Audio D-100s - Silent Source Signature

AC conditioner: Walker Audio Velocitor "s"
AC cord - Z-cable Black Lightning

Acrolink Wall outlet and frame - palladium over gold over bronze

I had previously tried both the Boulder Cable Modded Panasonic XA-45 and Bel Canto digital amps ... and the D-100s seem dramatically less influenced by AC cord and conditioning than the Panasonic/Bel Canto (and all other digital and many traditional amps I have tried.)  The key here is that this is not really a "digital" amp.

I hope this helps!

Again, the amps are amazing and simply wonderful.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:18 am »
Hi Freejazz,

Which bel canto amplifier did you use in your system?  It is difficult for me living in such a remote locality to get a reference point on the quality of products that i hear so much about.  I have extensively heard the bel canto evo amps and they are very transparent, excellent refined top end and a really good defined bass.  However, they simply sound boring and seem to lack emotion.

I am wondering how the bc amps compare in comparison to the channel island amplifier you have?

Sorry to put you on the spot.

Regards

Rod

Freejazz

Bel Canto comparison to CIA
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:31 am »
eVo 2 Gen II was what I used.  It was a nice amp, but I believe that the CIA (with my standard caveat - "in my system, in my room and with my ears") is a much nicer amp as it gets me closer to the recorded event.

The sound that I am getting is just so "right" ... I have a difficult time saying more than that, because it really captures it for me.

I know what you mean about the Bel Canto ... it is a very nice amp, but just lacks the ability to recreate the real event - studio or live ... it seemed to be an audiophile product.  I have not in any way had that feeling with the D-100s, as they seem to be a communicator of music.

Perhaps a bit too Zen in my description, but you can tell I really like them.  Heck, Dan's description has me wanting to hear the D-200s, as I cannot imagine them being better than what I currently have with the d-100s

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2005, 02:49 pm »
Dan Wright (Modwright) said in a post he did on 5/22/05 that the CIA D-200 amps were "Really a Killer"
  I have to totally agree with him. I've only got about 25 hours playing time on my new amps and I'm not only very happy with them I am in a state of pure joy!

They are everything that people are saying about them and probably then some. These are the fourth set of amps I've tried out in the past few months and they are the only ones that have caught my ear with their outstanding performance. Very good and tight bass. Decent midrange. By that I mean vocalists and whatever is in that audio range. Last but not the least outstanding very high range. The bells and tinkles and whistles are now there for me to hear clearly and definitively.

A great audio value in this crazy world of very high priced audio gear. I highly rcommend them to anyone who is looking for new amps.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2005, 02:55 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Dan Wright (Modwright) said in a post he did on 5/22/05 that the CIA D-200 amps were "Really a Killer"
  I have to totally agree with him. I've only got about 25 hours playing time on my new amps and I'm not only very happy with them I am in a state of pure joy!

They are everything that people are saying about them and probably then some. These are the fourth set of amps I've tried out in the past few months and they are the only ones that have caught my ear with their outstanding performance. Very goo ...

Charlie,

Glad to hear that they are working out so well for you.

It's too bad Dusty has a return fee of 10% (although I understand why).  That will stop me from trying them out and comparing them to the DNA-500 in the future.

What were the other amps you tried out?  If you can list them it will give everybody more context to your post.

George

NealH

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:53 pm »
From the CIA  website:
We invite you to audition our products in your home on our 30 day/no risk trial.

Also from the CIA website:
If you're dissatisfied in any way, just return it and we'll refund the full purchase price minus a 10% restocking fee.

It looks to me as if CIA need to update their website because those two statements are contradictory.  When I read the "no risk" clause, I interpret it as meaning there is no risk to the money that I put down based on my satisfaction with the product.

Synergy is important and, in home audition is about the only way to ensure this synergy and product satisfaction when purchasing from  these "factory direct" type outfits.   For this reason I would recommend looking elsewhere for a good amp.  There are quite a few good companies that will appropriately refund the full amount if you are not satisfied.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:11 pm »
I would be happy to pay all shipping costs, but I am not going to pay a restocking fee.

Maybe we can convince Dusty to change his mind?   :o

George