N3 Flat Pack

electriceye

N3 Flat Pack
« on: 13 Jun 2018, 10:54 am »
Anyone offering this up lately? Tried a search that didnt bring up anything too current.

Wind Chaser

Re: N3 Flat Pack
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:34 pm »
You might want to talk to Danny about the Carnegie CST-1. They are pretty much the same thing except they are fully assembled and nicely finished. If he still has any left, they are the deal of the century.

gab

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:37 pm »
You might want to talk to Danny about the Carnegie CST-1. They are pretty much the same thing except they are fully assembled and nicely finished. If he still has any left, they are the deal of the century.

http://gr-research.com/cst-1.aspx

available

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:56 pm »
I would also add it’s worth asking Danny about crossover upgrades and no-res. Depending on what it costs and your budget, you might want to consider having them prepped as such before you take delivery??

Even if you take them as they are, as Danny says, “This is a steal of a deal. You can't even have the cabinets made for this price. Get them now."

These are being blown out for half of retail. And they were already a great value at full retail.

fdjslkgh

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2018, 07:49 pm »
The N3 kit is $519. The fully assembled CST-1 is $899. That's $380 for a fully assembled AND FINISHED cabinet. That is an absolutely crazy deal.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2018, 08:04 pm »
The CST-1 looks nice since it doesnt have the silly pedestal things on top and bottom. It looks like a serious bargain.

electriceye

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2018, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for all the quick replies. I already have n3s and im not super happy with my cabinet work, it was my first go at it. I was looking to convert it to a plain n3 floorstander with a flat pack and do a little cleaner finish work.

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2018, 05:19 pm »
Well, I can tell you that the N3tl flat packs would likly be close to $500 using  quality MDF and cnc machined.   You'd still need to spend   significant time  assembling and   finishing  or  paying  to have them  finished.  For  less than a  $400  difference, you   could pick up  the CST's in   a high gloss black finish,  that finish alone would   cost more than double the difference !
You'd also  have the  N3 kit yo u already  own  you  could then   sell..... something to think about

Regarding the CSt1's  ,   they  do need to have the drivers removed and the poly fill needs to be  placed properly as it was  installed  incorrectly at the factory. this  is not  a big deal  to do.
the CSt's do  not use  Danny's authentic M130 drivers, they  are a   knock off that  was  used to keep  costs  down  and apparently they   are very good.
Of course, the usual upgrades  of  cross over parts  tube connectors, and no rez   would  be benificial but not  required.

I  had a pair of the N3TL's  ,  fantastic  speakers and  amazing bass out of that  TL :)

jay

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm »
the CSt's do  not use  Danny's authentic M130 drivers, they  are a   knock off that  was  used to keep  costs  down  and apparently they   are very good.

But since thye OP already has four M130 drivers, he could swap them with the Vaporcore drivers in the CST-1. Then he'd still have a back up pair of tweeters should he have an accident.

dlynch34

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:31 am »
I have a pair of x-statix that I built.  How does this speaker compare?  Thanks

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:38 am »
I haven’t heard the X-Statics but the tweeter in the CST-1 is planar magnetic, so my guess is the CST-1 would be the over all better sounding speaker.

dlynch34

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:43 am »
Thanks for the response what about the Pedistale?  I am not finding any reviews on this one at all either..

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2018, 01:18 am »
I doubt they are in the same class as the CST-1, but you could always call Danny to get clarification.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2018, 01:45 am »
I haven’t heard the X-Statics but the tweeter in the CST-1 is planar magnetic, so my guess is the CST-1 would be the over all better sounding speaker.

Whether it is better sounding or not is debatable. Different, yes. Better, not so sure about that. I built both the N1X, which uses the Neo3 PDR planner driver and the X-LS Encore, which uses the Peerless driver that's used in the X-Statik.

To keep the comparison as close as possible to apples to apples I built the X-LS Encores crossovers like the N1X (i.e. point to point wiring Sonicap capacitors, Erse XQ inductors, and Mills resistors), used tube connectors on both, used the same flared port in the Encores that the N1X uses,  and put No-Rez and AcoustaStuff in both pairs. The only thing I couldn't keep the same was the woofers. The N1X uses the M130X woofer while the X-LS Encore uses the M165 woofer.

There were differences between them for sure. The N1X with the planner magnetic tweeter was more detailed while the X-LS Encore with the Peerless dome tweeter was a little smother.

There was no way I could pick a clear cut favorite. It depended on the type of music. For example, with detailed music like classical I preferred the planner tweeter while with jazz I preferred the dome tweeter. So which tweeter I liked best really boiled down to what mood I was in.

Don't take this to mean I'm saying the planner tweeter was not good with jazz or the Peerless not good with classical. Both are exceptional with any type of music I listened to.

Danny has a floor standing models for both of these tweeters, the N3s for the planner magnetic and the X-MTM Encore for the Peerless. These two models have more differences than just the drivers. The N3s are a smaller transmission line while the X-MTM Encores are larger ported cabinets.

I have built and listened to both of these floor standers side by side. The X-MTM Encores are very good sounding speakers. However, I would choose the N3s any day.

As for what others have said, if you like black cabinets but want the N3s you can get the CST-1s and replace all the components with the N3 kit for less than you can get cabinets built with this level of finish.

Mike

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2018, 02:07 am »
Mike,

It’s always great to get subjective impressions from a real world audition. Thanks.

Best,
Anand.

dlynch34

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2018, 02:25 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys... If we go by the components alone though and not real listening of course it is difficult.  The X-statix are a hybrid vs the more traditional box speaker... so taking THAT out of the equation is tough.  The challenge for me is that I have to put them further into the room than I care to to get the full benefits of them... I still want that open airy sound however

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2018, 03:17 pm »
Then you're probably better off sticking with the X-Staticks, because the CST-1 sounds much better and airy if pulled out into the room. BTW, this generally holds true for most, if not all speakers.

I guessing the X-Staticks are lighter and therefore easier to move in and out of position than the CST-1, which have a high gloss piano black mirror finish which you wouldn't want to handle too often, or at least without soft gloves.

dlynch34

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2018, 04:39 pm »
how much of improvement is there putting the N3 components in this speaker?

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2018, 06:12 pm »
Then you're probably better off sticking with the X-Staticks, because the CST-1 sounds much better and airy if pulled out into the room. BTW, this generally holds true for most, if not all speakers.

I guessing the X-Staticks are lighter and therefore easier to move in and out of position than the CST-1, which have a high gloss piano black mirror finish which you wouldn't want to handle too often, or at least without soft gloves.

I wouldn't think a  lot, I've heard  the  M130  knock off that were used are very good.

With regards to the  N3 vs x Statik's, I really doubt the  Statik's  weigh any less.  they have a slightly wider cabint,  the lower section  has  more bracing and they have  2 extra  woofers (al l 4  are the  M165's (6.5"  vs 5.25's in the  N3's") and if it  were me building the  X - Statiks. I'd personally  use a  1.5" baffle as I  did  with my OB7's.

With either design,  they  should be   pulled out into the room,  I'd say even mnore so with the  X-Statiks.  If you  are going to be moving them back and forth continuously,  maybe look at some  sliders of some sort to make it  easier.

I agree with  Mike, both tweeters are exellent but different.  I  have a few pairs of the  Encores  in the house   ranging from  almost stock  to  fully upgraded and can easily  throw  any of them in a room and happily lsten  for hours....  the same  can be said  about the N3TL's and OB7's  using the   deep back Neo3 PDR.   

The Neo is a bit more precise and to me detailed but  it's open and   natural sounding. The Peerless tweeter   I'd say is a bit smoother at times,  slightly more forgiving.
Now, if you   go with a fully open design,  I'd go withthe  Neo3 without  hesitation.  After listening to  OB  for  quite some time now  I'd find it hard to go back to  "boxed speakers" for my main sy

jay
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2018, 07:53 pm by Captainhemo »

dlynch34

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2018, 01:25 pm »
how do you like the OB7?  I have thought about building that and replacing mine with it.  It has a ribbon I believe as well and wondering if it would be a better full range speaker..