Line Force?

Jaytor

Re: Line Force?
« Reply #80 on: 7 Nov 2022, 04:35 pm »
Gorgeous looking speakers, Jay! Congrats! You really went full out as far as crossover components are concerned :thumb:

Mine are the same color but with matching bases and crossover boards. They are shipping today so Danny should normally get them relatively soon.

Cheers,

David

Good luck with yours David. The paint came out really nice. Hopefully, Danny can do his crossover magic with the GRS-10 drivers. It would be great if these speakers could become readily available. There is certainly something special about them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #81 on: 7 Nov 2022, 06:19 pm »
Gorgeous looking speakers, Jay! Congrats! You really went full out as far as crossover components are concerned :thumb:

Mine are the same color but with matching bases and crossover boards. They are shipping today so Danny should normally get them relatively soon.

Cheers,

David

David,  yours  look  just as good with the  Ceramic Metallic  bases/b/o boards.  And yes, they are scheduled for pick up today and   delivery to GR  Reserch   Thursday... we'll see  if that holds   up.

Jay,  they  ae    gorgeous ,  looks great  all finished  up.  Hope that  wire and tweeters arrive soon
Now we  need to set you  up with some  6  stacks   :)

Enjoy  man

jay

Jaytor

« Reply #82 on: 26 Nov 2022, 10:43 pm »
The speakers are "breaking-in" very nicely.  I probably have about 150 hours on them at this point. It's hard for me to imagine how good they will sound if they continue to improve since they sound great right now.

I decided to dress up the wiring a bit. I found some red spiral wrap on ebay.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #83 on: 26 Nov 2022, 10:47 pm »
Those are probably the best speakers in the world.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #84 on: 27 Nov 2022, 12:02 am »

Those are seriously drool worthy. And that double dose of copper all nonchalant on the crossover is just out of control. #lifegoals

kenreau

« Reply #85 on: 29 Nov 2022, 06:41 pm »

Fantastic project, incredible execution.  Curious if you are soldering the speaker wire to the driver terminals, or using push on connectors?

Kenreau

Jaytor

« Reply #86 on: 29 Nov 2022, 07:19 pm »
Fantastic project, incredible execution.  Curious if you are soldering the speaker wire to the driver terminals, or using push on connectors?

Kenreau

Thanks. I soldered the wires to the drivers using WBT Silver solder. I tried to be very careful to crimp the wires to the terminals, and then heat up the bare wire as quickly as possible. I have a pretty good quality soldering pencil which holds its heat well.

That said, two of the NEO3s did not work when I finished, and it's possible that I damaged them from overheating. But I think a soldered connection provides a much better connection than the push-on connectors.

planarbrian

« Reply #87 on: 16 Dec 2022, 02:17 pm »
The Crossover is going to be a very tight fit to get it on the crossover board. I think I have room to add some zip-ties for the big caps. The rest I'll probably have to use some other way to hold them in place.

The resistors and bypass caps are tucked under/behind the big caps so you can't see them, but I'm using 0.01uF Dueland tinned copper foil bypass caps for the big caps. I will probably also add a 0.1uF Miflex cap to bypass the Erse cap I'm using in the notch filter.

Hi I am looking at building a pair of these with non BG components. I've done a simulation of the crossover and come up with very different parts to yourself. How did you come up with your Xover design?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #88 on: 16 Dec 2022, 06:21 pm »
Hi I am looking at building a pair of these with non BG components. I've done a simulation of the crossover and come up with very different parts to yourself. How did you come up with your Xover design?

Danny originally designed the crossovers for them using BG Neo 10s and out GR Neo3 in this cabinet using a microphone in front of the speaker.

We will be working on a version for a customer soon using the GRS branded Neo10 clones, but they will require a very different crossover to the original design, due to the differences in their overall response. The GRS units also have some limitations that need to be dealt with that the older BG units didn't suffer from.

We're also looking using the new Radian LM10 in the future, but it will require a re-design of the cabinet and a new network, and we're not ready for that just yet.

Jaytor

« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2022, 01:23 am »
Mine are breaking in very nicely. They sounded quite good on day one on well recorded songs, but this past week I've noticed that almost everything is sounding really nice. I think I have about 300 hours on them at this point.

I'm a happy camper :D. Well worth the wait and the expense.

These speakers really deliver the goods. I hope Danny is successful replicating this sound quality with the GRS drivers.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #90 on: 17 Dec 2022, 07:14 pm »
Danny originally designed the crossovers for them using BG Neo 10s and out GR Neo3 in this cabinet using a microphone in front of the speaker.

We will be working on a version for a customer soon using the GRS branded Neo10 clones, but they will require a very different crossover to the original design, due to the differences in their overall response. The GRS units also have some limitations that need to be dealt with that the older BG units didn't suffer from.

We're also looking using the new Radian LM10 in the future, but it will require a re-design of the cabinet and a new network, and we're not ready for that just yet.
Does this mean you have a new/clone Neo 10 model that is Promising?  :green:

NoahH

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 17 Dec 2022, 08:05 pm »
Does this mean you have a new/clone Neo 10 model that is Promising?  :green:

Not our own, but the Radian LM10 looks to be a promising option for a future revision
https://radianaudio.com/products/lm10n-wide-band-planar-ribbon-transducer

The GRS/Sounderlink model, while externally identical, has internal limitations that make it prone to being over driven. It doesn't have corrugated edges like the BG units did, so it doesn't handle lower frequencies as well, and also contributes to the wildly different  response from the BG units.

The GRS drivers will most likely require a high-pass filter to prevent them from being damaged over time.

Jaytor

« Reply #93 on: 29 Dec 2022, 01:21 am »
Overall, I'm thrilled with these speakers. I have 300-350 hours on them at this point, and they are sounding excellent. Detailed, smooth, effortless dynamics, wide and deep soundstage, etc.

I haven't done a lot of placement tweaking yet, but one thing I am not completely satisfied with at this point is the sweet spot width. Compared to the NX-Oticas, the sweet spot seems to be considerably narrower. If I move more than a foot or so from center position, it sounds like I'm only hearing the closer speaker.

Is this inherent to this speaker design, line arrays in general, or is it just a matter of getting the speaker placement optimized? If the latter, any recommendations on where to start.

I moved the speakers a few inches closer together today and this improved the sharpness of the imaging a fair amount but didn't really change the sweet spot much.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 29 Dec 2022, 04:14 am »
How are they facing into the room, straight on, a little toe in, a lot of toe in? The straighter they are, the wider the sweet spot will be up to the point that the center image stops locking in. This is assuming the track you are using for setup has a solid center image like the old standby, Ballad of a Runaway Horse.

Jaytor

« Reply #95 on: 29 Dec 2022, 07:02 pm »
Thanks Mike. My toe-in isn't extreme, but I'll play around with that a bit.

Are you referring to the Jenifer Warne's version of Ballad of a Runaway Horse?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #96 on: 29 Dec 2022, 07:30 pm »
Yes, that's the one. You want the least amount of toe in you can get and still have her voice tight and dead center. Her voice should also sound like it is coming from her mouth if she were standing between the speakers. Most designs may need to adjust tilt to get the height right. I don't know if that is an issue with a line source or not.

emailtim

« Reply #97 on: 29 Dec 2022, 07:53 pm »
Thanks Mike. My toe-in isn't extreme, but I'll play around with that a bit.

Are you referring to the Jenifer Warne's version of Ballad of a Runaway Horse?

If you want a good front sound stage demo track, try the "Djembe Walk" track from the Stockfisch AYA Audio Check disk.   Also good to test for the timbre of the djembe.

The image should walk from right to the left without appearing to come forwards or backwards.

The tracks from the "Percussion-Ensemble" are also good test tracks for front to back and left to right as well as the chimes testing your high frequency position, clarity and decay.

https://audiophilemusic.io/portfolio/aya-authentic-audio-check-2011-sacd/

« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2022, 10:59 pm by emailtim »

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #98 on: 30 Dec 2022, 12:25 am »
Let me the first here to beg for a audition.  I can dust and clean, wash windows and vacuum as long as I can hear the music.

I would love Line Force  Experiance.  I can offer some back yard Oregon Pino since  you were out a few bottles picking 5hese up.

I'm just few miles south and was asked to leave work 8 years ago.  Still waiting their call to my old number.

Alan

Jaytor

« Reply #99 on: 31 Dec 2022, 07:40 pm »
Let me the first here to beg for a audition.  I can dust and clean, wash windows and vacuum as long as I can hear the music.

I would love Line Force  Experiance.  I can offer some back yard Oregon Pino since  you were out a few bottles picking 5hese up.

I'm just few miles south and was asked to leave work 8 years ago.  Still waiting their call to my old number.

Alan
Hi Alan - I'm happy to demo my system. Send me a PM and we can set something up.