Considering new Omega's, too many choices!

TheSloth

Considering new Omega's, too many choices!
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 04:37 pm »
I had a chat with Louis today about all the options I could go with, and wanted a little feedback from you guys.

I've narrowed my choices down and I'm thinking of the following: Bipoles, XRS Bipoles or Max Hemp. The most important thing to me is a smooth midrange with no peaky, shouty upper mids (so I didn't really get on with the Fostex XRS for example, though it was improved with some varnish on the cone). They must reproduce acoustic instruments with as accurate a tonality as possible. Other concerns are secondary.

With the Bipoles, I have just realised that I had confused them with dipoles. I used to own QUAD's (63's), and assumed they would be loading the room that way. I now understand that they can be wired that way, but their usual mode of operation is bipole, i.e. that both drivers are in phase with one another. I understand the benefit to room loading of a dipole with regard to reducing standing waves particularly wrt bass, but I'm not sure of the advantages of a bipole. For example, what is the advantage of a bipole, i.e. drivers firing in opposite directions rather than for example two drivers both firing in the same direction?

I am also considering the Max Hemp as this is supposed to have the smoothest overall response, though I don't know how that would compare to the Bipoles. Louis is clearly very fond of the bipole design, and apart from the space requirements of a bipole I'd appreciate any comparisons anyone could make.

There is also the regular XRS with the new hemp cone, however I suspect that even with the improvements in the cone, I may still find the balance a bit midrange-centric.

Thanks!