Why is a "Headless" PC better?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Why is a "Headless" PC better?
« on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
Need to ask a basic question.  Just finished Caps 3 Carbon build and am experimenting with different ways to control it.  I control my old server by Bluetooth USB dongle for mouse and keyboard (even though I am using a USB DAC) and on wall TV for monitor.  Frankly, this satisfies me, but I am willing to try other configurations if better sound quality results.  So I set up the Caps 3 to be run remotely using Team Viewer - get it all set up and running well and decide to check task manager for cpu usage.  With Team Viewer controlling it remotely, the CAPS 3 , while using JRiver, runs at 30% processing.  Running the CAPS 3 directly, with wall TV as monitor out through HDMI and USB dongle providing Bluetooth for mouse and keyboard,  while running J River, uses 4% cpu.  If anything, it sounds better run directly.  So what am I missing? Any tests on which actually uses less resources?

mojave

Re: Why is a "Headless" PC better?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:08 pm »
I think most that go headless do so for convenience rather than sound quality.

You can control JRiver on the CAPS 3 remotely just by installing JRiver on another computer/laptop. The licence lets you use it on all the computers your own. No need for Team View unless you need to do other tasks on the CAPS. You can also control JRiver from any web browser using WebGizmo (which is part of JRiver). I can even check in on my home computer from work just to see what is being played.

I use a 25" monitor, JRiver in Theater View, and Logitech diNovo keyboard with the monitor connected to my HTPC for most playback. Sometimes I use the laptop for control.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:55 pm »
I have J River on 4 PCs including the one I was using with Team Viewer to control the Caps 3 and they are all on my LAN.  Can you direct me to the instructions for remotely controlling the CAPS 3 streamer through J River on one of my other PCs?  I cannot seem to find it.

chip

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:19 pm »
Thanks - I have more learning to do now.