Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

floresjc

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jun 2009, 01:26 pm »
vintagebob -

I also have a custom Salk sub coming using the Rythmik servo drivers in the queue.

While I'm waiting I'm trying to compile a list of must get cd's from Telarc. I also need to order an Oppo blu-ray player, and an Insight 240 and Insight 240/3 with double die upgrades from Van Alstine audio. And I need to search the massive SACD thread for must gets as well. And await word from my wife on the HT3's arriving. Oh yeah, and kill bad guys for another 77 days ;)

I'm kinda lucky that I'm physically removed from the country, so the wait is kinda oblivious to me. For you stateside guys, I have no idea how you don't go help Jim out to keep it moving at warp speed.

stc4life

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jun 2009, 02:40 pm »
Hi Vintagebob,

I plan on getting a Rythmik sub as well, but I think I am going to get the piano gloss finish direct from Rythmik.  I have an Emotiva XPA-3 I plan to pair with the STRTs (and eventually a SCRT later this year).  I have been waiting on the Emotiva UMC-1 for about a year now (which is supposed to start shipping before July), so I guess only having to wait 6-8 weeks or so for my new STs doesn't seem so bad.  Mine are going to be "full custom" so it could be longer I guess, but I am trying to think happy thoughts. I am trying to pull together a list of all the music I want to listen to when I get the new speakers, which at this rate is going to last until next year.

vintagebob

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:14 pm »
vintagebob -

I also have a custom Salk sub coming using the Rythmik servo drivers in the queue.

While I'm waiting I'm trying to compile a list of must get cd's from Telarc. I also need to order an Oppo blu-ray player, and an Insight 240 and Insight 240/3 with double die upgrades from Van Alstine audio. And I need to search the massive SACD thread for must gets as well. And await word from my wife on the HT3's arriving. Oh yeah, and kill bad guys for another 77 days ;)

I'm kinda lucky that I'm physically removed from the country, so the wait is kinda oblivious to me. For you stateside guys, I have no idea how you don't go help Jim out to keep it moving at warp speed.

Wow, a full set of Insight Double Die 240s.  That will be SWEET!  What are you using for the preamp/processor?

Picking up the other items during the wait has made things easier but more expensive.  The hardest part has been sticking to my plan and not trying to upgrade to the HT2-TLs.

vintagebob

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:16 pm »
Hi Vintagebob,

I plan on getting a Rythmik sub as well, but I think I am going to get the piano gloss finish direct from Rythmik.  I have an Emotiva XPA-3 I plan to pair with the STRTs (and eventually a SCRT later this year).  I have been waiting on the Emotiva UMC-1 for about a year now (which is supposed to start shipping before July), so I guess only having to wait 6-8 weeks or so for my new STs doesn't seem so bad.  Mine are going to be "full custom" so it could be longer I guess, but I am trying to think happy thoughts. I am trying to pull together a list of all the music I want to listen to when I get the new speakers, which at this rate is going to last until next year.

The XPA-3 looks good.  What are you going to use to power your surrounds?

Happy thoughts are the best!

floresjc

« Reply #44 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:35 pm »

Wow, a full set of Insight Double Die 240s.  That will be SWEET!  What are you using for the preamp/processor?

Picking up the other items during the wait has made things easier but more expensive.  The hardest part has been sticking to my plan and not trying to upgrade to the HT2-TLs.

For the 2 channel system, the HT3's will be hooked up to an Insight Integrated, which Frank upgraded to double die and the remote. I'll put a squeezebox on that for source. For the ST/Rythmik, I have a parasound 2100 preamp because of the sub outputs and the home theater pass through. Source will be the oppo blu ray, which will pass the decoded material to my outlaw 1070, which i'll use as my multichannel preamp, then hooked up to the 240's. I might get the Emotiva processor later on and switch out my outlaw 1070, but I don't really need to with the oppo in there, it decodes everything itself.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2009, 06:08 pm »
What is the cost of Rythmik sub to match ST's in a standard veneer? Thanks

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
What is the cost of Rythmik sub to match ST's in a standard veneer? Thanks

If we build to Rythmik's specs, a standard veneer would run $1295 (we build the cabinets here in the US).  Upgrade from 3/4" to 1" MDF and it would be $1495.  We are working on a dual passive version of the Rythmik 15"  with 1 1/2" walls and those will be $1895 in a standard veneer.

- Jim

vintagebob

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:57 pm »
Having a matching sub with the same veneer as the speakers would sure be a nice touch.  Maybe if I ever need a second subwoofer...

floresjc

« Reply #48 on: 5 Jul 2009, 03:26 am »
vintagebob-

I had to break up the 240 party. Instead I chose to take advantage of Frank's trade-in program, so I will hand over the Insight Integrated towards something with more power.

He had an Insight EC preamp with phono and remote sitting around, so I got that and a Double 440 for the HT3's. So to stick with my budget constraints, I had to dump the Insight 240 for the rear channels and I will get the 240/3 for the front channels. I'm pretty sure the Outlaw 1070 can handle the rear Songtowers just fine, its mainly ambiance.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #49 on: 5 Jul 2009, 03:29 am »
vintagebob-

I had to break up the 240 party. Instead I chose to take advantage of Frank's trade-in program, so I will hand over the Insight Integrated towards something with more power.

He had an Insight EC preamp with phono and remote sitting around, so I got that and a Double 440 for the HT3's. So to stick with my budget constraints, I had to dump the Insight 240 for the rear channels and I will get the 240/3 for the front channels. I'm pretty sure the Outlaw 1070 can handle the rear Songtowers just fine, its mainly ambiance.

Rear channel ST's will be a walk in the park for any amplifier. 

vintagebob

« Reply #50 on: 5 Jul 2009, 04:39 am »
vintagebob-

Sounds like some great choices!  So you only have to wait for the 440 and 240/3?  You're going to have a killer system!

floresjc

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jul 2009, 09:00 am »
Dennis -

Thats good to hear. Maybe someday I'll pony up for the plain 240 for the back, but I figured upping the HT3's from 90wpc to something like 220wpc was a way better investment than having the rear's driven by a brand new amp.

vintagebob -

I'm sure hoping so. I'm really excited to get back home, its quite a bit nicer than this place, and I cannot wait to unwrap all my new toys and hook it all up, listen to everything I own again. But yeah, the Insight preamp was "in stock" so I take it he had a client cancel an order or something. The 440 and the 240 he's going to start on, but it'll be about 4 weeks before they are done. In any case, I'm sure the Salk/AVA setup will be amazing when I finally get it all together.

vintagebob

« Reply #52 on: 6 Jul 2009, 02:45 pm »
Well, it looks like this thread will be my home for a while longer...

I just upgraded my order from the SongTowers to the HT2-TLs which means I just reset the clock.  I'm keeping the Surround Is with the idea of getting a set of HT1s later.  The draw of that ribbon tweeter and the 7" drivers to fill in my mid-bass was just too much.  I also didn't want to worry about upgrading anytime soon.  When I looked at how much I spent on other HT pieces I decided that it didn't make sense to skimp on speakers.  So please just keep telling me how great the HT2-TLs are!

Now what do I do fill in the time?!  Wire management...

earthbound

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:14 pm »

I just upgraded my order from the SongTowers to the HT2-TLs which means I just reset the clock.  I'm keeping the Surround Is with the idea of getting a set of HT1s later.  The draw of that ribbon tweeter and the 7" drivers to fill in my mid-bass was just too much.  I also didn't want to worry about upgrading anytime soon.  When I looked at how much I spent on other HT pieces I decided that it didn't make sense to skimp on speakers.  So please just keep telling me how great the HT2-TLs are!

I went through much the same thought process before I ordered the HT2-TLs, which may be ready in a week or two. Meanwhile you're welcome to come and help me finish up my completely rebuilt living/listening room!  :D

vintagebob

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:30 pm »

I went through much the same thought process before I ordered the HT2-TLs, which may be ready in a week or two. Meanwhile you're welcome to come and help me finish up my completely rebuilt living/listening room!  :D

LOL.  I have to finish mine first!  I'm half way done with room treatments and I was going to hang some soundproof curtains in my den entry since I have a wine cooling system in there that can be a little noisy.  I was laughing about the wire management but I really need to do some of that as well.  I might also need to play with my sub placement...

The hardest part of the deciding to upgrade was restarting the clock.  :?  Jim should just start an HT2-TL at the same time he starts a SongTower and save us from ourselves.  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:31 pm »
Congrats on the upgrade, vintagebob - that's great!  You'll certainly love the HT2 TL's, as their is nothing in that price range that can compete IMO.  They are a superb speaker! 
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2009, 02:22 am by Nuance »

earthbound

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:35 pm »

LOL.  I have to finish mine first!  I'm half way done with room treatments and I was going to hang some soundproof curtains in my den entry since I have a wine cooling system in there that can be a little noisy.  I was laughing about the wire management but I really need to do some of that as well.  I might also need to play with my sub placement...

The hardest part of the deciding to upgrade was restarting the clock.  :?  Jim should just start an HT2-TL at the same time he starts a SongTower and save us from ourselves.  :wink:

:lol: I talked to Jim about upgrading to HT3s so I guess there's no end to upgrade fever. I decided to stick with the HT2-TLs mostly for the WAF between the two models.

vintagebob

« Reply #57 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:40 pm »

:lol: I talked to Jim about upgrading to HT3s so I guess there's no end to upgrade fever. I decided to stick with the HT2-TLs mostly for the WAF between the two models.

Come on!  You NEED those HT3s...which could free up some HT2-TLs for me.  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jul 2009, 02:22 am »
^ LOL!  You drive a good bargain.  :)

vintagebob

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jul 2009, 03:11 am »
^ LOL!  You drive a good bargain.  :)
I just want earthbound to be happy.  ; )