test tones played on SongTowers, risk of damage?

gkinberg

test tones played on SongTowers, risk of damage?
« on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:54 pm »
Hi all, Happy new year. On new years eve I'm working on getting my songtowers placed in an optimum spot. In order to do this I'm considering using a test tone generator playing a 40 hz tone for example at around 85 db and moving my speakers around and finding the right place were any distortion is minimal. My question is, is this type of approach too agressive and could it risk damage to my song towers? Thanks for any input, Garth

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: test tones played on SongTowers, risk of damage?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:26 am »
Hi   Since Jim has to pay any warranty claims, I would be happy to encourage you to experiment.  40 Hz is well within the ST's design limits, assuming you're not blasting them to the point where the woofers bottom out.  I assume you would recognize that problem and turn down the volume immediately.  I'm not sure what you mean by "distortion."   The ST's will produce the exact same amount of harmonic distortion wherever they are placed.  All your experiment could tell you is where room modes are particularly problematic in terms of peaks or nulls.  That's useful, but it's not really "distortion." 

gkinberg

Re: test tones played on SongTowers, risk of damage?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2012, 03:27 am »
Hey Dennis,

You got it, I'm hunting for room modes, or I guess the lack of room modes is more accurate. I won't go into depth here but I'm trying to carry out a Master Set speaker placement as described in another thread and it is driving me nuts. So I then tried a varriation of my own with test tones and that was somewhat of a bust as well. I may give it another shot tomorrow with freash ears.

Thanks for the reply and have a happy new year! Garth