Cheap and Well Made Chinese SE EL34 Amp

ttan98

Cheap and Well Made Chinese SE EL34 Amp
« on: 14 Aug 2011, 01:17 am »
Hi,

I like share with all of you the Single Ended amp I bought recently and it arrived 2 days ago. Take a look at the images here.

I paid US$200 plus $100 postage by airmail. I think it is a bargain. All the parts alone will exceed $200.

As you can see the chassis is very well made, chromium plated both top and bottom plate covers. The components are mounted on PCB and finish is very good as well. The rear view, you can see a black button it selects between the 2 inputs.

It does not come with a manual but the seller will provide you with a circuit diagram. The circuit is pretty standard, no feedback the driver is 6N2 connected in parallel to drive the EL34 which is connected in UL mode. It claims to give 12 watts I guess more like 10watts/channel.

My intention is listen to it for a while and then modify it to accommodate KT88 tubes which I have few lying around. Also experiment with various type of circuits, including feedback, etc. The is an amp play around with.

I just powered it up it seems to work fine, very quiet and no hum. Initial impression is very good.

You can see better quality images here,
Flickr: ttan98's Photostream

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
Re: Cheap and Well Made Chinese SE EL34 Amp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:27 am »
Looks good. Chassis seems to be Stainless steel so no rusting problem would occur I guess. How does it sound?

mca

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:43 am »
What is the brand and where did you buy it?

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:14 am »
What is the brand and where did you buy it?

Try this site:

http://www.goodcomponent.com/tube%20amplifier.html
The seller is very easy to deal with and delivery was prompt via DHL.

Please note that I am not associated with the seller. Also don't expect too much from the output transformer compared to the  better made transformer such as Hashimoto, Tango etc each costing more than the amp itself. For the price I paid for, I am very happy with the amp but it will be modified in due time.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:42 am »
Would love a full review or more impressions as you spend more time with it.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm »
OMG, it's almost worth it just for that chassis. I may just have to get it just because. I am sure the price will increase in a short while once they sell a few.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm »
Try this site:

http://www.goodcomponent.com/tube%20amplifier.html
The seller is very easy to deal with and delivery was prompt via DHL.

Please note that I am not associated with the seller. Also don't expect too much from the output transformer compared to the  better made transformer such as Hashimoto, Tango etc each costing more than the amp itself. For the price I paid for, I am very happy with the amp but it will be modified in due time.

Please share more detailed impressions when you get a chance... preferably sooner than later  :wink:

ttan98

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm »
Hi,

Rather than repeating here please go to this site:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=9

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:25 pm »
Cleaned.  AudioCircle is a nice place to post your thoughts about your gear also.   :D

veevee

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2011, 10:23 pm »
Would also be interested to hear more feedback about this amp and how it sounds.  Thanks!

MX48

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm »
What do you guys think of the GDAP-04 preamp? This is definitiely not my area of expertise so I am asking the experts.

I am looking for something to go with my ClassDaudio CDA amps to power 3-way active speakers. I looked at the Dodd but wasn't for me for various reasons.

Is this a good match?

Thanks
Moto

worker

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:51 am »
was anybody able to contact the seller for these amps.
I sent a couple of emails -- early Feb (after the Chinese new year ) -- but no replies

thx