Speaker Upgrade Urge...Planar...?

Stimpy

Speaker Upgrade Urge...Planar...?
« on: 28 Apr 2021, 01:12 pm »
I've been stress buying over the last year. It keeps me calm, in these trying times. Plus, my system has improved as a result.

Now, I have the urge to upgrade speakers. I now use Acoustic Research AR58S 12" 3-ways. They sound great, but I want to try more planar speakers (besides my Monsoon's). Currently looking at 3 different speakers. All roughly the same $1K price. The contenders:

01) Acoustat 2MH -w- Sub

02) Apogee Acoustics Slant 8 Centaurus Speakers

03) Bohlender Graebener Radia 520

All 3 pairs look to be in good shape, though I won't be able to audition any of the 3 before purchase. I've heard Acoustat 1s and 1+1s, and own a Martin Logan Fresco center speaker, with BG Neo drivers.  I liked both, but the Acoustats more so that the Martin Logan. 

I love fast transient response and detail. Tight bass with good timbre. I like open airy highs, without excessive brightness. No horn peakiness (IMO).

I listen to all genres of music, mainly Prog, Jazz, Classical, and New Age Electronica. My room will be a spare bedroom, 16' x 14'. The listening chair is a tall bed! So, I like the height of these speakers. My gear is a modded Schiit Saga tube preamp, an Acurus A-150 amp, or an Adcom GFA5400 amp, with a Schiit Bifrost MB DAC, feed from a Sony UBP-X1100es disc player.

So, are any of these worth the asking price?  Would any work?  All 3 or none? Is my gear up to snuff for these?

Help..!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Speaker Upgrade Urge...Planar...?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2021, 04:05 pm »
  #3 for me. Apogee has amp load issues in my experience. Just prefer the B&g drivers. However it is the synergy og system speaker to consider.

charles

lancruiser_

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2021, 01:17 am »
I would consider the Bohlender Graebner 520 first for a few reasons, it's relative ease of amplifier requirements (impedance curve), superior phase response, efficiency, the woofers in that design have a superior magnetic design. Apogee's have more stored energy, resonances, etc and if one of the drivers breaks you will spend big money getting it fixed if you can find replacement. Acoustats are cool esl's but dated, better esl's are available. Long story short if the BG is in good condition, that would be my first choice.

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2021, 02:12 am »
Thanks guys for reinforcing my own thoughts.  Good to hear the BG Radia 520s are worthy.

Stimpy

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2021, 06:01 pm »
Well, I tried contacting the owner of the Radia 520's, and never heard back.  Text and email messages went unanswered.  So, no 520s.  As such, I picked up a pair of ML ElectroMtion ESL's instead.  Very good speakers.  Better bass than I expected.  Very open and clear.  I'm enjoying what I'm hearing, even with my little Adcom GFA-5400 amp.  To make sure I'm feeding the ESL's properly, I have an Aragon 2004 MK ii amp, on it's way.  I don't crack, and it should have plenty of power for me.  Plus, it's stable into 1 Ohm loads, which should help too.