New omega RS5 monitors

Nocturne79

New omega RS5 monitors
« on: 15 Jan 2017, 08:59 pm »
Hey everyone just wanted to post some images of my Omega RS5 monitors i have had for the last month or so.  Outstanding speakers these are in the eko Walnut finish.
I have a minit torii that i use to run them with no problem at all.  Clear sounding with a overall great tone that I have been wanting.
appy listening everyone

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: New omega RS5 monitors
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm »
Very nice!  Congrats.

As minor a part of his work overall, I am repeatedly impressed with the new badge.  Very professional and imposing.

Here they are rotated............

jorgen

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2017, 10:40 pm »
Nice speakers and since i have the same amp, I  should think that is a cool combination. With speakers as sensitive as the HO you should have no problem with satisfying spl. Mine are less sensitive, 94dB or so, than yours, but I seldom go past 9 on the MT when I enjoy listening the most. On those rare occasions I don't have the necessary power with the 4watts available, I doubt 15-20 watt would be enough either. It's a musical approach rather than brute force as key. In a more philosophical perspective I doubt listening is the appropriate term for setup with 130 dB SPL available, and using all the power available, it is more an exercise of protection.

Nocturne79

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2017, 11:04 pm »
Thank you sir for rotating not sure why they came out sideways.  Yeah i rarely go very high on my mini and got plenty of power.  so much that i plan to sell my Torii MKIV eventually as i have no need for the 25 watts. but will see..its a nice amp lol

syzygy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2017, 12:27 am »
Very nice. I'd love to hear them.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:26 am »
Just curious, what stands are you using?

Nocturne79

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:05 am »
hey yeah the speakers are on skyland stands have had them for a few years.  love the stands and for awhile they were just collecting dust in the closet till now :)

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2017, 09:39 pm »
Thank you sir for rotating not sure why they came out sideways.  Yeah i rarely go very high on my mini and got plenty of power.  so much that i plan to sell my Torii MKIV eventually as i have no need for the 25 watts. but will see..its a nice amp lol

I am sure. I currently have the single RS5 driver and Decware SuperZen and I barely turn it past 1oclock on most stuff. A lot more efficient with the dual drivers. Can you give some more impressions? What you like about the dual driver set up? Are you using a sub? Or do you like the bass that the two drivers are producing all on their own?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:55 am »
Can you give some more impressions? What you like about the dual driver set up? Are you using a sub? Or do you like the bass that the two drivers are producing all on their own?

Ditto for me. Impressions please!

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:08 am »
Are both drivers full range or is the main driver high-passed like some of his larger dual-driver speaks?

Nocturne79

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:43 am »
Hey all I will try my best but I just want to say that I stick at describing things. Also these speakers play in a carpeted untreated room.

My prior speaker was a Omega RS5 outlaw with 8" downfiring sub.  These speakers mixed for me, at first did not like them at all felt it was thin sounding and figured it was just getting used a single driver type speaker.  Over the time i had them it was always a love hate relation for me.  On good recordings and tidal it sounded great but on spotify and bad recordings it sound bad.  I only stream spotify now due to cost and iwas looking for a speaker that would make spotify not sound too crappy lol.

These speakers do just that,  I think it was a little more midbass, that I was looking for, in my last setup that just makes things sound right.  Great prat and getting lost in the music.  Now on tidal these speakers sound even better for imaging, soundstage, timing and just balance across the sound.  I could only imagine what these sound like on turntables..lol.  For more complex music it handles it like a breeze, before on my last setup i felt sometimes the single driver just need something more, sorry for bad explanation.  I listen at quiet levels in evenings, i have a 14 month old baby, and these speakers are crystal clear, they even beat my decware trap speakers for clarity and that to me is no easy feat since the traps are the one speaker that i have had the longest. 

These speakers also do really well when using my marantz sr6008 to play music or watch movies, never feeling cold or clinical...just endless details within the sound.  My wife even commment that she could hear things in the movie Little Women that she never heard before and that was just run thru the reciever.

These speakers have good bass but for me I always planned to get a subwoofer because these will end up in the tv/movie room.  The thing i miss about my outlaws was the dual subs and these monitors just can't touch two subs giving bass and to be honest i dont know many speakers that could.   If these speakers weren't going to tv/movie room then i probably would not feel a great need for a sub but would probably get one just a little farther down the road.  Currently looking in rythmik subs.

Yeah have to say so far having them for over a month I have had no love hate relation with them..I just love em... even during break in period, think I am still in it lol.  Currently run them using a decare zdsd---mini torii--omega sometimes i put in the Torii MKIV with csp3 but that is just over kill on all accounts lol.

I hope this helps sorry again for bad description but feel free to ask questions and if I can i will do my best to answer.  Also Louis is just awesome to deal with, he has amazing customer service and feel so lucky that he makes these amazing speakers.

Nocturne79

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:44 am »
My understanding is the top driver is run full range and the bottom is crossed at 500 but i could be wrong on the exact number, Louis has a thread where he showed this monitor and its the same stuff he posted

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:37 pm »
My understanding is the top driver is run full range and the bottom is crossed at 500 but i could be wrong on the exact number, Louis has a thread where he showed this monitor and its the same stuff he posted

I believe you are correct.  Roll off at 500.

pstrisik

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:51 am »

I think you did a nice job of describing.  I followed you all the way.

I'll endorse Rythmik.  I have both a pair of F12's and a pair of Brian's 8" midwoofers with plate amps that Louis built a cabinet for that matches the Super Alnico Monitors that sit on top of them. 

I love a good excuse to post a photo of them.  It's like showing off your kid  :inlove:

Nocturne79

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:10 am »
Yeah I love your setup your speakers look awesome bet they sound fantastic!

pstrisik

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:04 pm »
Yeah I love your setup your speakers look awesome bet they sound fantastic!

Thanks and they do.  Though the dual driver approach has advantages I don't have in the sensitivity/low level response aspects.  The SAMs have it more than most speakers, but I bet the design you have bests it in that regard.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2017, 06:35 pm »
I think you did a nice job of describing.  I followed you all the way.

I'll endorse Rythmik.  I have both a pair of F12's and a pair of Brian's 8" midwoofers with plate amps that Louis built a cabinet for that matches the Super Alnico Monitors that sit on top of them. 

I love a good excuse to post a photo of them.  It's like showing off your kid  :inlove:

So you are using the Rythmik's in conjunction with the SAM's and 8's?

WC

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2017, 06:46 pm »
With the double drivers is it bigger than the Super 3i Monitor? What is the upgrade in cost over the Super 3i monitor?

pstrisik

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2017, 06:55 pm »
So you are using the Rythmik's in conjunction with the SAM's and 8's?

Yes.  Brian (Rythmik) designed the plate amp on the 8's to extend down to a limit.  There is a switch to choose between 30Hz and 50Hz.  So I set the F12's to low pass at that chosen frequency.  Both plate amps are set to do 24db/octave roll off, so it's a smooth blend.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2017, 08:37 pm »
Yes.  Brian (Rythmik) designed the plate amp on the 8's to extend down to a limit.  There is a switch to choose between 30Hz and 50Hz.  So I set the F12's to low pass at that chosen frequency.  Both plate amps are set to do 24db/octave roll off, so it's a smooth blend.

I want to do something similar. Maybe you can help me. We might have even discussed this in the past but here is my situation. I currently own a pair of Supercharged Omega3XRS's. So with the built in active 8inch sub that is located on the back. Louis is building me some High Output Omega 3XRS's that have the dual RS5 Drivers. So what I am going to do, is use my current speakers just for the subs alone once I have the new dual driver speakers. I am just going to put them right behind the new speakers. Then I want to add two more subs later for the real low stuff, including movie soundtracks. How, and what is the best way to accomplish all of this?