Strange AKSA problem solved.

Brownee

« on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:24 pm »
Hi everyone

Today I had a very unusual problem. Hugh helped me resolve the issue and suggested that others might be interested in reading the account.

Last night, after becoming utterly disgusted with the cricket, I decided to do a bit of listening before going to bed. I loaded up my favorite CD and eased back to listen but something was wrong. On inspection there was very little volume coming from the left channel and what there was, was very distorted. All the connections were ok and swapping the input channels produced the same result on the left side. “Great!!! #@#% amp problem” I thought, and went off to bed.

This morning I opened up my AKSA 55. Everything looked good, no loose connections or charred components. I powered it up and all the important voltages were on the money. “This should be working” I said, as my wife put breakfast in front of me.

Back into the lounge room and connecting the right speaker to the left output revealed that the problem was actually the left speaker (Aksonic) and not the amp. (I wish I would have tested this first). A careful listen reveled that the woofer was not working at all and the sound that was coming from the tweeter was distorted.

Having absolutely no idea of where to start I gave Hugh a call and as always he was happy to help. Having relayed the problem Hugh gave me a great explanation of what could have happened (which I wont even try to relay) and gave me some steps to go through to see where the problem lay. Fist was to measure the resistance of the woofer. It was supposed to be about 6.8 ohm but when I measured across the speaker terminals I got infinite resistance. Ok, problem found, the driver is stuffed !!.  After pulling the driver out I noticed that one of the little wires that goes from the speaker terminal to driver cone/coil was broken. On closer inspection the two broken ends looked frayed almost “chewed’. It then dawned on me what could have happened.

I live out in the country a bit and the occasional mouse in the house is just a fact of life. We have also done some renovating lately and a few wall plates are still off the wall giving the little rascals easy access it seems. The reason I came to my conclusion so quickly is that only a week ago one of the little rodents had got into a computer that is in the same room. It left enough droppings and pee on obviously sensitive parts of the motherboard that it stopped working.( replaced motherboard). I caught the culprit though,  but he obviously has friends.

Back on the phone to Hugh, I told him that the wire was broken. He told me that I must have had an extreme amount of current go through the driver to melt that wire and the coil would also be damaged. Almost feeling a bit foolish, I said that the wire looks like it might have been chewed, - by a mouse. After a short period of silence, Hugh suggested that if this was the case that I could solder the wire together and all should be well.  After a very fiddly solder job I measured the resistance across the terminals and it was normal. After also doing a cautionary check of the polyswitches that Hugh suggested , I put it all back together an am now listening to the sweet AKSA sound again.   :D

Why a mouse would take the effort to climb up through the speaker and chew on that particular bit off wire is beyond me. Rest assured I am going mouse hunting again tonight. I also told Hugh that I might put an order in for an Aksacat but he said his particular model might be a bit slow to catch the acrobatic rodents that seem frequent my place.

Thanks again Hugh for your help. I hope this has not been too long and that others may find it interesting.

Thanks
Brownee

Jens

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:35 pm »
This was a funny one  :mrgreen:

My argument would be that closed boxes are better  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:39 pm »
Seems that country mouse has good taste.... :lol:
    Might be time for a few of these....[/list:u]
    [/list:u]
      Or...a cat. Good luck !!! :) [/list:u]

soitstarts

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:46 pm »
    Sounds like you need to get Hugh to send you up an AKSAcat or 2.......

Felipe

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2005, 05:30 pm »
    I dont have an AKSACAT to catch the rodents, i have a chewing addict CAT that just cant stop eating the inside of my speakers !!!   :evil:

Last time i caught him inside the box with his litle head in the vented port looking at me with his big green eyes....i guess he likes the stuffing  :lol:

I think i need an AKSADOG.....?

Seano

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2005, 10:34 pm »
    I can relate to your problem with the mice....

It was probably a nice spot to sit.  Perhaps to next. The wire probably just got in the way so he/she snipped it to get it out of the way.

If you'd like to dissuade them from climbing into the woofer basket in the future I suggest stapling a length of speaker grille cloth over the back of the drivers.

Since it is used OK out front it shouldn't color any sound being out back. Worth a shot!

Brian T.

Re: Strange AKSA problem solved.
    « Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2005, 10:50 pm »
    Quote from: Brownee
    Hi everyone

Last night, after becoming utterly disgusted with the cricket....

Looked pretty darn good to me... :lol:   However, why was Australia fielding their reserve team?  :wink:

Brian

Grumpy_Git

Un-Sportsmanlike Behaviour!
    « Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2005, 11:05 pm »
    Lets be honest, we only won because of a naturalised south african. Ah, who am I kidding, we kicked your ass and I loved every minute of it!

The rugby isnt too bad either at the moment!

sorry everyone.

Nick.

jules

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2005, 11:30 pm »
    the wonders of country life!

AKSA rodents have been in my mind recently as I am designing speaker boxes myself. Unfortunately my AKSA cat recently came to a sad end so the grill cloth that was added for protection against claws is now less important. Still, I hereby lay claim to a possibly unique AKSA invader ...  AKSAbats! I will be carefully covering my box ports with grill cloth to prevent bats from roosting [if that's what bats do?] inside them during daytime. I'm actually quite attached to the bats [no correspondence from goths please] but there are some limits.

jules

edit: is there a risk that soldering a joint in the middle of that braided wire could lead to a break later on?

ginger

)ne for Hugh and the motor enthusiasts
    « Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:26 am »
    I once had a nice little Fiat whose engine quit on me.
    I diagnosed a broken timing belt BUT the loosely translated from Italian workshop manual assured me that the timing belt does not break unless a rodent has got inside the timing cover. Well I laughed - until I took off the timing cover - that is. Out fell 1 busted timing belt and 1 busted mouse.
    Cheers,
    Ginger

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2005, 05:00 am »
    Hi Ian,

And did the pistons hit all the valves, causing HUGE engine damage?  In the early Fiats this was always a risk........

Cheers,

Hugh