Speaker binding bolt question

Lost81

« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:19 am »
I noticed that mouser.com carries pure copper spades (female and male), as well as other connectors. However, I went with the tin-plated copper versions as copper rapidly oxidizes (and oxidized copper is a semi-conductor).

Cheers,
-Lost81

EchiDna

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:29 am »
Malcolm - agreed - for me brass isn't ideal either... but there aint many choices that are better unless you go to Cardas prices ;-)

Lost81 - a decently clamped pure copper spade can't corrode as the air can't get to the surface anyway. wrap a few rounds of plumbers tape (PTFE teflon) and you don't need to worry about the oxidation process at all. Of course this assumes you aren't a constant cable swapper! but if you do swap a few times a month or less, then to me this is a simple, cheap and very effective oxidation preventer that anyone can utilise.

SamL

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:13 am »
A slight off topic questions. Is oxidised tin a better conductor than oxidised copper? How critical it is to fully tinned the exposed copper wire?
Well, it is not easy to fully tin the copper wire speacially if they are not in teflon jecket. I am wondering if I should solder my cat5 speaker wire or leave them as it is.

Sam

AKSA

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:54 am »
Hi Sam,

Just leave the wire as it is, and do the terminal block up tight, forming a cold weld at the electrical point of contact.

That's good enough for any music you care to put through it!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Malcolm Fear

Neutrik Speakon connectors are brass
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2004, 07:18 am »
I have had a look at the Neutrix Speakon connectors. I even went out and bought some. They are beautifully made.
But the contacts are brass (CuZn). I want to get away from brass.
If you do a search on Audio Asylum for "Speakon" there are comments that they sound awful.
Back to the drawing board.

AKSA

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2004, 07:37 am »
Hmmm.  I'll think on this, Malcolm........

Hugh

Jens

To believe or not believe
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2004, 08:13 am »
Quote from: Malcolm Fear
I have had a look at the Neutrix Speakon connectors. I even went out and bought some. They are beautifully made.
But the contacts are brass (CuZn). I want to get away from brass.
If you do a search on Audio Asylum for "Speakon" there are comments that they sound awful.
Back to the drawing board.

Hi Mal,

Strange - because where I buy my Speakons (locally), specs say that connectors are copper and silver-plated copper. There seems to be some discrepancy between that and the specs on the Neutrik homepage - hmm. However, looking at the STX series the contacts are stated as copper, even on the Neutrik homepage.

Could be that some people on the asylum think that the Speakons sound awful. My experience is different, and I've tried the Speakons against various connectors.

A number of people on one of the Danish forums that I'm a member of are very happy about the sound of the Speakons.

Could also be that the word "brass" makes people think that they sound awful.  :nono:

I think that the main point going for the Speakons (in this respect) is that there is no superfluous metal - as with nearly any other type of connection - not whether it's brass or copper (or even silver, whch might be desirable).  :wink:

Cheers,

Jens