Poll

Are you interested in a USB DAC with wireless input?

Yes, I am interested in a wireless USB DAC.
16 (72.7%)
No, I am not interested in a wireless USB DAC.
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

USB DAC with wireless input

AirDAC

Re: USB DAC with wireless input
« Reply #20 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:57 pm »
I've been trying to set up a PC audio system but can't take the first step because I don't want to go down all the false, expensive paths only to realize how to do it better. But you're description of a laptop with wireless connections to a DAC at my system is what I'm looking for, w/o the complications (for me) of a network (one step at a time  :thumb: ).

So count me interested.

And what is the next step as far as announcing/producing your product?

Thanks,

Gene

Hi Gene, nice to hear that the solution is attractive for you. One of the advantages of our system is indeed that it is plug & play, no network settings needed.

The next step is that we will review all opinions on this forum and adjust our prototype there where needed. After that (summarized) we will take the product to production level, to proceed with a first production batch.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm »

The next step is that we will review all opinions on this forum and adjust our prototype there where needed. After that (summarized) we will take the product to production level, to proceed with a first production batch.

I hope I can be part of the beta program.   :green:  I think I've got a pretty good USB Dac I can compare it to...and test the wireless part.   :thumb:

AirDAC

« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:37 pm »
@jtwrace

I will notify you when we are in that stage, thank you.

AirDAC

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2010, 09:15 pm »
I think this would be a HUGE item...

Hi jtwrace and other interested AC members,

We have been calculating and a 'wireless link only' version would retail for about 500 USD (freight, taxes and duties not included).

Summarized you get this for 500 USD:

A wireless USB connection for use between Laptop/USB audio source and DAC, compromising:

- 1 x wireless USB transmitter, battery powered (run time 50+ hours, 1.500+ times rechargable LifePO4).
- 1 x wireless receiver with toslink, coax and aes/ebu digital outputs and perhaps i2s.
- 24/96 support
- guaranteed free from RF interference
- reach about 35ft, indoor single room
- < 0.2ms latency
- 0dB crosstalk, discrete L + R channels
- small 'tabletop' footprint (16 cm x 12 cm x 6 cm)
- quality finished enclosure but no overkill
- Plug & Play

My question for you, would you still be interested considering the price?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:14 pm »
AirDac

:scratch:

In my opinion, $500 without shipping is a bit steep.  Not that the development and product isn't worth it I just think it's a bit much. 

Of course, it has to sound the same as being plugged in for one of us crazy audiophiles. 

Also, I don't see a USB receiver option.  USB transmitter but then the USB dac plugs into???

AirDAC

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:27 pm »
@ jtwrace

I understand it's quite pricey, this is because it is a 2 box solution, casework is expensive and battery on Tx side also adds to the build price considerably. What do you mean by USB receiver? The 'wireless link only' system will have a USB input on the transmitter side, the receiver side has only digital outputs so that the user can use his own DAC.

Thank you for your response.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:32 pm »
What do you mean by USB receiver? The 'wireless link only' system will have a USB input on the transmitter side, the receiver side has only digital outputs so that the user can use his own DAC.

Lets say my Mac Mini is in a different room than my USB DAC.  I would plug the trasmitter into the Mac Mini USB port.  Then the receiver can plug into the USB dac.  No?

AirDAC

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm »
Lets say my Mac Mini is in a different room than my USB DAC.  I would plug the trasmitter into the Mac Mini USB port.  Then the receiver can plug into the USB dac.  No?

No, unfortunately this will not work as the wireless link only works in a single room. The receiver can only be plugged into your USB DAC if it also has a toslink, coax or aes/ebu input, there is no USB output on the receiver side.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2010, 08:38 pm »
No, unfortunately this will not work as the wireless link only works in a single room. The receiver can only be plugged into your USB DAC if it also has a toslink, coax or aes/ebu input, there is no USB output on the receiver side.

After thinking about this, I would pay the $500 for the piece if I could do what I want.  This would allow my Mac Mini and HD's to be located in the office where my router (Airport Extreme) is in and also have a nice NAS system. 

Another benefit to me would be when I want to go through and organize my music library I wouldn't have to camp out on the floor in front of the stereo. 

If it was wireless with no sonic degradation, I'd do it.