Promitheus dac vs Monarchy 24

earbud

Promitheus dac vs Monarchy 24
« on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:53 pm »
Hi all
I am considering upgrading my Rotel 980 rdp dac with either a Promitheus nos dac or a Monarchy 24 tube dac or maybe another tube offering such as a Lite or Xindak dac 5 or Bada.I happen to already own pieces of equipment from Promitheus and Monarchy [ Promitheus ref 4 TVC and Monarchy Classic DIP] both of which I think are very good.The Promitheus dac is of course a lot cheaper than the Monarchy which is an attractive prospect.I presume that the Promi will sound more laid back but I believe it does resolve good detail for a nos dac. Does anybody have experience with any of these dacs and any suggestions would be welcome.Thanks.

ajzepp

Re: Promitheus dac vs Monarchy 24
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 09:17 pm »
Sorry I can't be of much help with your question, I was just curious if you'd considered the DAC from Tube Audio Design? I had a TA-DAC in my system up until recently and was very happy with it.

flintstone

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 10:34 pm »
The Monarch is worth it's price as a tube preamp only?...and the DAC is even better. I'm using Amperex tubes in both sections of mine.

Dave

earbud

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm »
Hi AJZepp
An interesting piece of equipment the TADAC.Are't you the one who gave a review and said that you compared it to the Monarchy 24 and preferred the sound,especially in the base area[tighter and more articulate]? Why did you end up selling it?What else did you compare it to? I am not unhappy with the old Rotels sound and I believe that its partnering transport is actually quite good and I do feel that the DAC portion of ones total setup is less dramatic and influential than amps and speakers for example but I think that,at this stage,my dac is probably a weaker link in the chain.I am also curious about NOS and tubed dacs.I also want to make use of my Promitheus' balanced I/P so I need a dac with balance O/P's
I suppose that I am striving for a sound that is detailed,revealing,tight and articulate bass,airy,superior tone and timbre,with sharp imaging and placement as well as an open ,wide and deep soundstage.But at the same time,smooth,silky and non fatiguing.I have already achieved quite a bit of these qualities but I think a really good NOS or tubed dac will take it to the next level.
I don't half want it all hey! :D

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2010, 03:42 am »
Hi Earbud: I did write a review on the TA-DAC, but you're thinking of someone else who compared the two pieces. I have never heard the Monarchy piece, although it's kept my interest for quite some time! I loved my time with the TA-DC, but unfortunately being out of work and some medical bills caused me to have to sell it a while back :( 

What are you running as a preamp? Adding a tube preamp was a more dramatic improvement to my system than the DAC was....the DAC was like icing on the cake and the synergy I had was tremendous!

earbud

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:24 am »
I was using a vintage Luxman CL34 tube preamp which still sounds very good[I did upgrade the tubes recently] until I got hold of a Promitheus ref 4 TVC passive pre recently which I am using now.It is a very nice sounding piece of equipment,if you can call it that;being a passive,it is very transparent and revealing I believe.I also enjoy the unusual wooden construction,quite appealling to my mind.The bottom end especially has become amazingly tight and articulate with very good seperation and imaging as well.I am running that into a pair of biamped Rega Maia's which,in turn,are driving a pair of B&W 685's [an amazingly good speaker for the price I think]
Sorry to hear about the financial constraints;I know what it feels like;I wish I had a lot more money to spend on this hobby!

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:19 am »
Sounds like a beautiful system you have going there!

I'm actually happy to say that I'm just about back to square one with finances, and I even put a down payment on a new preamp. I decided to go with the one that finished 2nd to the Mapletree when I made my decision the first time....the 10A from SAS audio.

Good luck with the DAC decision....will be interested to hear which way you go! I may follow suit with this decision and go with my 2nd choice back when I decided on the TA-DAC....the Monarchy NM-24....maybe we'll both end up in one :)