Basic tube system: setup,synergy and opinion

1000a

Basic tube system: setup,synergy and opinion
« on: 14 May 2007, 02:59 pm »
I am answering a new members questions to me in this form so he gets more than my perspective, (hopefully from others also):

I think some Chinese products are fine especially Jolida and a few others.  Mike Allen does final assembly and testing of his Jolida gear right here state side.  Could a few things be a little better in his amps construction wise sure but you can find the same in a 3,500-5,000 US amp also.  Love mine sounds incredible with good spkr. placement (the most important of all & free).

You can spend 2-3 times what your Jolida cost you for another push-pull 100watter and gain Minor sound improvements - not massive, maybe better construction.

Bad speaker place will ruin 100k system and most people do not put in the proper amount of effort in this regard!

Mine does not have a remote, if yours has the easy bias system- you will need to get the tubes biased the old fashioned way or do them yourself- do your homework on this -electricity in tube amps can be and is DEADLY.

Tubes I use are Swetlanna not the very best but very very good, (all tubes about 140.) allows me to spend my $$ wisely on my entire system, not go over board on tubes.

AS for dampers my only experience is with Halos.

Experience has taught me to look at the sum of my system's parts not get to carried away in anyone area or part.

My greatest recent improvements have been incredible and cost me little $$.  Check my posts.  First and foremost is using DIY magnet wire for spkr cables and ICs, also see others Anti Cable posts. This has opened up my amp and soundstage incredibly best improvement since I bought my amp in 2002.

Prior to using this as cable I had not begun to even tap the 1000a's true potential.  Second that for using the Halos and finally a DIY Room Lens to treat the room.  Total $$ spent on these 220-240. bested all improvements I have done period, only a speaker change came even remotely close to these 3 changes together.