HSU VTF 2 MK5 Subwoofers

jtcf

HSU VTF 2 MK5 Subwoofers
« on: 17 Apr 2021, 04:21 am »
After a power outage a couple of weeks ago took out my four SVS subs :cry: I went on the hunt for a couple of new ones.My little Harbeths were pretty anemic sounding without a little help down below. On my budget it appeared the HSUs seemed to have a lot of flexibility to tailor the bass for my medium sized room,plus 30 days to audition.

Took delivery this morning, took all of 20 minutes to set up in the back corners and Dang!They sound just wonderful! I will not have to add two more later as I thought so yay! I left the ports sealed,set the crossover at 45 then later up to 50(sweet spot),volume at 9:00 - perfection. Tight,articulate,and textural bass on both acoustic and electric. Absolutely no fussing to get a perfect blend. I couldn't be happier. Of course I already knew what the best placement would be,plus I went through the manual online before they arrived to understand what the various settings were for.I fully expected to spend time experimenting with the ports,crossover, and volume but the settings are almost exactly the same as the SVSs.Except these two are faster,go deeper,and have a feel of effortless power.I have room treatments and don't feel the need for room correction with this two channel system. I'm not sorry at all today that I was forced into making a change.

tomrogers

Re: HSU VTF 2 MK5 Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2021, 05:40 pm »
After a power outage a couple of weeks ago took out my four SVS subs :cry: I went on the hunt for a couple of new ones.My little Harbeths were pretty anemic sounding without a little help down below. On my budget it appeared the HSUs seemed to have a lot of flexibility to tailor the bass for my medium sized room,plus 30 days to audition.

Took delivery this morning, took all of 20 minutes to set up in the back corners and Dang!They sound just wonderful! I will not have to add two more later as I thought so yay! I left the ports sealed,set the crossover at 45 then later up to 50(sweet spot),volume at 9:00 - perfection. Tight,articulate,and textural bass on both acoustic and electric. Absolutely no fussing to get a perfect blend. I couldn't be happier. Of course I already knew what the best placement would be,plus I went through the manual online before they arrived to understand what the various settings were for.I fully expected to spend time experimenting with the ports,crossover, and volume but the settings are almost exactly the same as the SVSs.Except these two are faster,go deeper,and have a feel of effortless power.I have room treatments and don't feel the need for room correction with this two channel system. I'm not sorry at all today that I was forced into making a change.
I still have my Hsu ( same sub ) in the box it came in until we move, when I'll get to pair it with the SVS PB-2000 I'm using at present. Love the SVS but I can't wait to hear the Hsu and I wish the SVS had the optional bungs supplied with the VTF-5. Glad to hear another happy owner's response!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:31 pm »
  Enjoy them. Curious ? Was it just the subs that went down ?

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:46 pm »
Hsu subs are better at music than the SVS IME.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2021, 09:21 pm »
Hsu subs are better at music than the SVS IME.

Yep. With Hsu, you get more for your money.

jtcf

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2021, 11:28 pm »
  Enjoy them. Curious ? Was it just the subs that went down ?

Yes,just the subs.They were all plugged into two surge protectors,one Tripplite for each side of the room.The system itself has a new Audioquest power conditioner. We've had other outages and never an issue. So what I think happened is the Tripplites became weak and evidently useless.For now I just unplug them when not listening.

jtcf

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2021, 11:38 pm »
@tomrogers you'll be pleasantly surprised I think. The sense of ease as the really low notes come in....so natural. They do their job without breaking a sweat and never calling attention to themselves.