A Book To Make You Feel Normal: "101 Essential Rock Records" by Jeff Gold

orthobiz

I have a little interest in this thread since I initiated it. It's a book, like a record, a pure analog experience.

I used the "normal" concept as a nod to the "abnormal" passion I have for this hobby. Since I am constantly looking at the dead wax, looking for first pressings and special covers, I sometimes feel as if I have taken the collecting thing a bit too far. I know others on the forum have also come "under fire" for buying too many records or too many copies of records, etc.

Jeff Gold has done a cool thing with his inclusion of a bunch of records that he owns in his collection that he has chosen to showcase in this book. In that way it is much more than a list. It's him choosing a bunch of records from an extensive collection for us to look at. I do not in any way think this is his "Top 100" of all time.

I would eventually be interested in hearing from someone who has seen the actual book.

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
I did a quick count and I have 77 of the albums listed.
Laura you gotta get that 1st Black Sabbath album   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Paul for this post..........P-man

vinyl_lady

Bill, you topped me by 13. How did you know that was one of the albums I didn't own and wouldn't even if a mint copy was given to me? :scratch: :lol: :lol:

SoCalWJS

It's an interesting list and hard to argue against very many of them belonging there. You can quibble over a couple here and there, but they are mostly significant and very good.

There are a couple missing IMHO, and I know which ones I would get rid of to make space for them, but it's just another opinion.  :green:

Soundminded

I finally looked at the list and guess what...I actually have two or three of them. How did those get in there? That is how did they get into my house?  :D  The most likely explanation is that they were mixed in with a large bulk purchase. Sometimes when you buy stuff at very low per each prices, you get a lot of stuff you have little use for. However, all is not lost. They make excellent platters to deliver cakes on. The baker in my house already has her eyes set on them. Frankly, I might just keep them around for anyone who drops in and "insists" on hearing them. Well it takes all kinds to make a world I guess. At least they don't take up much space.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
I finally looked at the list and guess what...I actually have two or three of them. How did those get in there? That is how did they get into my house?  :D  The most likely explanation is that they were mixed in with a large bulk purchase. Sometimes when you buy stuff at very low per each prices, you get a lot of stuff you have little use for. However, all is not lost. They make excellent platters to deliver cakes on. The baker in my house already has her eyes set on them. Frankly, I might just keep them around for anyone who drops in and "insists" on hearing them. Well it takes all kinds to make a world I guess. At least they don't take up much space.

Now don't hold back tell us how you really feel

WC

I have 11 of the albums, but only one on vinyl. I do have the first Black Sabbath album on CD. Looks like I need to buy a few more.  :)

Soundminded

Now don't hold back tell us how you really feel

If this is all there was to music, a boombox would be overkill for me. The only thing I'd need is a radio to hear the news. I wonder if someone we know needs a cake home baked for them just about now.

vinyl_lady

My copy came from Amazon yesterday. It is an absolute gorgeous book and the photography is exceptional. If I were to make a list of what I considered to be 101 essential rock records, it would be different than Jeff Gold's. I imagine most if not all of you would say the same thing. Many of the records in this book would be on my list and many would not, but it does a great job of capturing what he calls the golden age of vinyl.

Laura

orthobiz

My copy came from Amazon yesterday. It is an absolute gorgeous book and the photography is exceptional. If I were to make a list of what I considered to be 101 essential rock records, it would be different than Jeff Gold's. I imagine most if not all of you would say the same thing. Many of the records in this book would be on my list and many would not, but it does a great job of capturing what he calls the golden age of vinyl.

Laura

Thanks for the update Laura. Like a coffee table book on, say, the 50 Essential Classic cars, no one would really say, "What bad choices. I own 40 of those cars and I disagree with the other 10." It's not just a list!

Somehow I was hoping P-man was gonna share a cake with me or something, based on previous posts. Maybe a PUMPKIN BAR?? 8)

Paul

Stu Pitt

I find his list interesting.  I own a good amount of the stuff listed (didn't bother to print the list and walk over to my albums and start counting).  There's better stuff out there than some of the stuff listed, and there's better albums by some of the artists that weren't included.  Why people get worked up about these lists is beyond me.  I guess people get insulted when their favorite albums aren't everyone else's favorites.

I'd be interested to see what he considers the next 101 essential albums, picking up from where he left off to maybe a point such as when CDs starts outselling cassettes.  Call it the 101 Essential Rock Cassettes book, then do a CD era.

Sorry to sidetrack.  I know this isn't genuinely the intent of the thread.  I wonder if my local library has the book?  Looks very interesting.

neatokino

I just want to throw in my  $.02 that this is a terrific book and far more than just a 'favorites' list.  If you're into rock and roll vinyl, you'll enjoy this!