media streamer audio question

goodguys

media streamer audio question
« on: 30 May 2018, 06:41 am »

Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I am using a dune smart d1 streamer, by connecting the hdmi output to my screen to produce the picture.
Then there are two rca analogue audio outs which i hook up to my amp for the audio.
Problem is the video quality is good, but the sound quality from the rca analogue is poor.
Am wanting to change streamer hardware, something with quality analogue audio outs, but maintaining the good hdmi picture that the dune has.
My amp does not have hdmi or digital audio inputs.
Am willing to pay about £300-ish.
Any recommendations please, perhaps another streamer, or blu ray player which accepts external hard drives, or anything at all.

Many thanks.

Mag

Re: media streamer audio question
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2018, 07:29 am »
If I am not mistaken the Bryston BDA-3 DAC would solve your problem.  You would simply connect the HDMI to the DAC. With the DAC you can then have the signal go to TV and the music through the DAC.

Check with James in the Bryston Circle to be sure I'm correct.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2018, 01:58 pm »
If you're willing to snag an Oppo before they are gone or buy a used one, they can play music via a hard drive.  At the indicated price point perhaps a used (Oppo) 103 or 103D?

goodguys

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2018, 06:09 am »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Am leaning towards the streamer if possible, as if i buy a bluray player a lot of the money will go on the bluray mechanism, which i will
probably never use. A bluray player or an external dac is more of a last resort. An all in one streamer device with good quality dacs built in would be great.

There must be ' audiophile ' alternatives to the dune. Would love to hear any more suggestions.

Thanks

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2018, 12:28 pm »

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2018, 04:08 pm »
If your Dune has another digital out, or, if your TV has a digital out, you can go from that to an external DAC then to your amp from the DAC.  It's one more box but you can keep the Dune where you are happy with PQ.  I'm assuming when you say "audio" it's the sound from the movie.

Look to Schiit for a reasonable priced high performing DAC.  I haven't heard one but seems people are also happy with the small Audioquest DAC's, Dragonfly etc.  Prices go as high as you want to spend on DAC's.