new to this world

Bigmac

new to this world
« on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:02 pm »
I have a 13.5x 22 room with a closet in one corner approx 6'8" ceiling. I'm going to start a system but feel a good first step is acoustics. I am looking at adding some of these for starters. I am a "musician" guitar/vocals just for family and friends  :?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: new to this world
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2021, 11:06 am »
Foam does very little to tame room reflections and what it does do is only over limited frequencies.  Good absorbers and diffusers can be had from companies like GIK here on AC or like I did, built your own.  Roxul Safe n Sound in a cheap wooden frame with some fabric stapled over works really well for a small outlay.  Diffusers are a whole other thing for diy, much more of a project, but just as cheap to do yourself.  You're in the right place for advice, lots of experts posting here.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2021, 11:12 am »
Floyd Toole will tell you that loudspeakers are the most important component in your system and the room is #2.  You will forever hear that low ceiling.  Foam is useless as acoustic treatment, shop by measurements not appearance or intuition.  Toole places little importance on treatments.  I have an 8ft x 13ft x 21ft well insulated room with 10 GIK 244 panels and 3 dispersed subwoofers.  In lesser rooms the panels make an instant and significant improvement, but very little in my room.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2021, 11:23 am »
Yippee! JLM is back!  :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2021, 11:30 am »
Don’t guess at the solution, contact experts for proper solutions. Try Acoustic Fields. www.acousticfields.com