DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?
« on: 18 Feb 2021, 07:53 am »
Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing a DAC-9 and noticed the DAC-9SE. I couldn’t find a clear answer on the differences and whether the SE is worth the extra coin. Is it just an upgraded DAC chip and better volume control? Any sonic differences? I notice the inputs and outputs are slightly different.

Thanks!

- Woody

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2021, 09:44 am »
Even though it is called 9SE, it is a redesign DAC. We just run out of model number :).

Ictwoody

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2021, 07:25 am »
So it’s just a dac update on the DAC-9 to the newer version?

- Woody

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:49 pm »
No, I said it is a redesigned.  Perhaps it wasn't clear from the description :).
It is not just a replacement of the DAC chip, it is a redesigned DAC product. ie, power circuit, power supply, everything else around the DAC chip.

Ictwoody

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:51 pm »
Interesting. I'd love to read an A/B comparison of the DAC-9 and DAC-9SE... any reviewers out there doing such a thing? How would you compare the 9SE to the current DAC-10(H)?

- Woody

grubyhalo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2021, 12:57 pm »
No, I said it is a redesigned.  Perhaps it wasn't clear from the description :).
It is not just a replacement of the DAC chip, it is a redesigned DAC product. ie, power circuit, power supply, everything else around the DAC chip.

What about the preamp section? Any changes/improvements there? I currently have a DAC 9 and am considering the next step up and would like a DAC+Pre combo. The analog preamp section is as important to me as the DAC section.

grubyhalo

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2021, 03:37 pm »
Has anyone here compared the preamp section of DAC 9/DAC 10 to Alita? Are they essentially the same?

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:26 pm »
The analog input goes through a FPGA with switched resistor network, the digital volume control is done through the DAC chip. Therefore the digital preamp is depending on the DAC chip, the analog preamp is about the same.

grubyhalo

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2021, 09:22 pm »
Thanks, Rusty. My understanding was that the pre-amp stage for the DAC-9/SE, DAC-10 and Alita are all analog, am I correct?

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2021, 01:47 am »
We can't state it like that "preamp stage is analog".  If the source is digital, then the volume control should be done by the DAC in digital. If the source is analog, then it is best to go through an analogy preamp stage.

This FAQ explained in detail:  https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/

grubyhalo

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2021, 07:43 am »
Thank you, that’s helpful.