New guy on AC

BoxerRS

New guy on AC
« on: 29 Jun 2022, 12:20 pm »
Hi Guys.

I'm a owner of few Dynaco blocks and I'm strating to do so.ething to improve it. Hope so I can find more interesting posts here.
Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New guy on AC
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2022, 01:29 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2022, 02:21 pm »
Welcome!

Frank at Audio by Van Alstine does work on Dynaco stuff.  He has his own circle here.  I had Hafler pre/power amp kits in 1980, the power amp was the better of the two. 

BoxerRS

Dynaco FM3 updrades
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2022, 03:09 pm »
Sorry guys but my next project is a Dynaco FM3 tuner. I have FM5 but I would like to keep something based on tubes.
I'm new so I can't search any topics yet so will be nice to get some information about some mods for this block.
Thanks a lot for any advice.

Phil A

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2022, 03:40 pm »
Welcome!

BoxerRS

Re: Dynaco FM3 updrades
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2022, 08:43 pm »
Nice one for the links.

By the way on the last one website they have some special fuses to the audio solutions. I'm always laughing when I hear about something like this. What you reckon?
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2022, 11:12 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC BoxerRS   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2022, 02:08 am »
Sorry guys but my next project is a Dynaco FM3 tuner. I have FM5 but I would like to keep something based on tubes.
I'm new so I can't search any topics yet so will be nice to get some information about some mods for this block.
Thanks a lot for any advice.
Welcome again, yesterday you already introduced yourself.
I will merge these 2 topics.
GUIDELINES

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2022, 01:35 pm »
In the last 20+ years at this (50 years in total) I've been teased into trying various tweaks including fuses, footers, special electrical grounding devices, various cables, and even battery power (a step beyond power conditioners/inverters).  None provided any noticeable sonic improvement, except ridiculously thin versus thicker speaker cables.  Note that none of these were expensive, except for the battery power.  Most tweaks (or various wires for that matter) don't have a true scientific basis behind them, that should tell you something.  I don't have golden ears, but still have a brain. 

Audiophiles always strive for better sound.  They're prone to try home brewed stuff, thinking they know better than the companies that have long histories, deep R&D resources, and don't have to rely on big marketing budgets.  The little firms are typically just one step above DIYer's, especially in this age of the internet.  Audiophiles are also suckers for big, fancy, bold, and glamorous gear.  C&C machines and exotic veneers are popular among loudspeaker aficionados but don't make them sound one bit better.   Just examples of what marketing does for audio.