Bryston Changes July 2022

drummermitchell

Re: Bryston Changes July 2022
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jun 2022, 05:03 pm »
James,Curious when there will be Picts posted.
I see with axiom that you can ceiling mount their book shelf speakers with their screw in bracket.
Will This be possible with Tiny Ts
Thx.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2022, 02:12 am »
Hi Don

Yes they can be order that way and we have a wall bracket as well.

james

mv038856

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jul 2022, 03:10 am »
I will give you a clear example. If I were to buy let's say a BCD-3 CD player, it would cost me less to buy it in California for 2400 USD, have it shipped across the Atlantic, pay 25% VAT and 8% import duty than to buy it here for 4500 €. Even if I wanted to buy it at these terms, the dealer would first try to convince me to buy something else. I wouldn't spend any less - it would still cost me 4500 € - but they would make a whole lot more from the trade if I bought an equivalent product from a brand the dealer shouldn't even be carrying and selling "under the counter".

A friend of mine is a distributor and a dealer for a famous headphone brand. He has been given a specific set of rules what he is allowed to sell alongside that brand. If he wishes to remain their distributor, this is precisely what he must do. So, apart from a small selection of other headphone brands that do not represent competition for this brand, you will not find any other headphones in his store. Also, a pricelist he's been given is a good guideline for him to form his own prices upon but there are limits to what he is allowed to charge, at both ends of the spectrum. Then there are other rules concerning service etc. but we are not talking about that here.

This "squabbling" isn't doing any of us any good. The prices are too high and the service is substandard.

Please do not think I am speaking generally because I am not. I am being very specific, as usual, and this does not apply to all distributors or dealers. It is something to think about.

Cheers,
Antun

I do not think this is about greedy distributors and my experience with the service via AVITech in Vienna is excellent.

What is causing the price differences between North America and the rest of the world is Bryston‘s pricing model. I assume that it is „cost plus“, i.e. Bryston calculates what it costs to build a product that is worth it to carry the Bryston label, adds some for warranty, administration and profit and you get the dealer‘s price. Add another, say 50%, for the dealer and you end up at North American MSRP.

Disclaimer: The figures are guesses, as I don‘t know what the margins are, but they still are useful to make my point.

In my example a product with a MSRP of $US 6,000 would have dealer pricing of $US 4,000.
Now an international distributor might buy Bryston stuff more or less at North American dealer pricing, as Bryston still needs to cover their cost and make a reasonable profit. Maybe Bryston gives a distributor discount of 10% as North American marketing and distribution cost are not applicable to export merchandise.
So a distributor would pay $US 3,600. Now add shipping, and consider that we don’t talk about overseas containers filled with Bryston stuff shipped around the world, but single units, built to order and shipped via air freight. This easily eats up most of the distributor discount. Add import tariffs, the cost of the distributor and another dealer margin and a buffer for exchange rate fluctuations and you end up considerably above US MSRP. Add local sales tax, e.g. around 20% in most of Europe, and yes, the MSRP IS considerable higher outside of the US.

I do, however, not see how this could be changed without reorganizing North American distribution and adversely affecting Bryston’s market position in its most important market.

Another 2 Cents…

Markus
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2022, 02:39 am by mv038856 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jul 2022, 11:23 am »
Hi Folks - yes we price our products from year to year to allow us to stay in business and given the worlds shortages and prices of parts and increase costs of shipping etc. this is only going to continue to escalate.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jul 2022, 07:50 pm »

...sad but true :(

al.

spartana

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2022, 06:07 am »
@ james tanner: in the original post you write the PS3 would be available in full width. Does it look then like the MPS2? Could I stack the BP26 on top of it? Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2022, 11:47 am »
@ james tanner: in the original post you write the PS3 would be available in full width. Does it look then like the MPS2? Could I stack the BP26 on top of it? Thanks!

Hi - yes the full width matches the BP26.  The PS-3 is a much better power supply as well.
best
james

drummermitchell

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2022, 02:05 pm »
James,
Any idea when the new T’s will be out.

spartana

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2022, 05:22 pm »
Hi - yes the full width matches the BP26.  The PS-3 is a much better power supply as well.
best
james

Thanks, James!

masi61

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2022, 08:51 pm »
Hello - I called Bryston today and was told that the price increase starts from August 1st. I had procrastinated trading in my 4B2 for a 4B3. I'm asking my dealer (Hanson Audio in Dayton, Ohio) to order me a 4B3 (the consumer model, black 19" with handles) and honor the trade in (provided it passes inspection). Do you think this is possible? Thanks for any help, from Bill in Dayton, OH.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2022, 09:53 pm »
HI Bill - sorry are you asking is a trade in possible?  If so the dealer would make that decision but used Bryston gear is very much in demand so I do not see why they would not.

best
james

masi61

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2022, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for your reply James. I'm talking specifically about the 4B3 trade in program. I have a really nice, perfect condition black 19" 4B2 that I was hoping to get the advertised (full) trade in value os $2328 once it passes inspection. I would keep the 4B2 and keep using it with my Thiel CS3.6/upgraded Linn Sondek LP12/Bryston BP26 system but I believe that the "cubed" 4B would be more resolving than my "squared" 4B.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2022, 11:44 pm »
Thanks for your reply James. I'm talking specifically about the 4B3 trade in program. I have a really nice, perfect condition black 19" 4B2 that I was hoping to get the advertised (full) trade in value os $2328 once it passes inspection. I would keep the 4B2 and keep using it with my Thiel CS3.6/upgraded Linn Sondek LP12/Bryston BP26 system but I believe that the "cubed" 4B would be more resolving than my "squared" 4B.

Ah I see - no sorry the trade in program was just for a few months a while back and is no longer being offered.  But I am sure you would get a good trade in or sell privately for a 4B2 in great condition.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2022, 01:03 am »
so James,
when is the T line of speakers coming out.
Have asked before in this thread and nada.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jul 2022, 11:30 am »
so James,
when is the T line of speakers coming out.
Have asked before in this thread and nada.

Hi Don - we are building some now so should be available soon - which model are you interested in.

james

masi61

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jul 2022, 11:40 am »
Ah I see - no sorry the trade in program was just for a few months a while back and is no longer being offered.  But I am sure you would get a good trade in or sell privately for a 4B2 in great condition.

james

thanks for your answer about this, but I am disappointed since I likely will have to wait for another time to upgrade my amp. I called the Bryston 1-800 sales number yesterday and the lady I spoke with said that as far as she knew the 4B3 trade in promotion was still valid. She told me that pending an inspection of my amp, I would be eligible for the trade in dollars to apply to a 4B3. Wouldn't she be up to date on which promotions are active (or inactive)? Just curious.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2022, 12:03 pm »
Sorry but that is incorrect - it only ran for about 90 days about a year ago.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2022, 01:07 pm »
Hi James,
since I use the mini T's for surrounds,I need four book shelf type speakers for ceiling mounting.
No pictures yet of the NEW LINE of T's yet.
need to know sizes ect.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2022, 04:45 pm »
Ok the Tony T is the same size as the older Mini A.

I am getting the Compact T's shortly for my own system and I will let you know.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jul 2022, 05:10 pm »
Perfect