Dodson 218 vs EA P-3/A DAC comparison

Mad DOg

« on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:32 am »
Hey guys,

just wondering if there might be any interest in this dac comparison for the next listening session. those in favor say aye; those not interested say nay...

Marbles

Re: Dodson 218 vs EA P-3/A DAC comparison
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:34 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Hey guys,

just wondering if there might be any interest in this dac comparison for the next listening session. those in favor say aye; those not interested say nay...

Is your EA P3a, the latest and greatest?  I just had some "minor" work done to my P3a and it made a nice improvement.

I would love to hear about the shoot out.

Mad DOg

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:36 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Is your EAP3a, the latest and greatest?  I just had some "minor" work done to my P3a and it made a nice improvement.

i talked to Steve about sending out his demo EA P3a for the comparison so it should be the latest and greatest. maybe Steve can confirm...

Mad DOg

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:38 am »
I would love to hear about the shoot out.

wow! i didn't think i'd get a response in this thread this quickly! :o

shokunin

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:38 am »
I'd like to compare the two, we could even throw in my VSE modded SCD-777es into the mix too, since I'm curious to see how well redbook may have been improved by the mod versus two really good DACs.

shokunin

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:39 am »
MD,

do you still have the benchmark?

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:25 am »
Is your EAP3a, the latest and greatest?  I just had some "minor" work done to my P3a and it made a nice improvement.

i talked to Steve about sending out his demo EA P3a for the comparison so it should be the latest and greatest. maybe Steve can confirm...

It's the latest and greatest.  Only mod missing is the Turboclock mod.  It does make it a tad better.  Maybe I will install this before I ship to you.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:12 am »
Count me in (If I'm not working on the day).  

Does anyone have a computer/hard-drive based DAC?  My wandering eyes and ears have been looking that way recently.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:39 am »
Make sure you have a good transport. :)
    The NY Audio Rave performed a similar comparison with my EA Turbo modded ECD-1....so I'll read with interest the results with the EA P-3A. 8) [/list:u]

shokunin

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:58 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Count me in (If I'm not working on the day).  

Does anyone have a computer/hard-drive based DAC?  My wandering eyes and ears have been looking that way recently.

Maybe Steve can provide a USB-equipped something DAC or converter or something else if he has one on hand.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2004, 10:57 pm »
I could provide a USB converter, but someone would have to follow the instructions to install the drivers, use EAC for ripping and download and configure Foobar2000 for 24/96 playback. I would rather wait and get my converters, the USBSport and USBPhile reviewed later when I have the productized.  I am putting the final touches on the USBPhile today.  It has a Superclock2 and external power supply.

Mad DOg

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
I could provide a USB converter, but someone would have to follow the instructions to install the drivers, use EAC for ripping and download and configure Foobar2000 for 24/96 playback. I would rather wait and get my converters, the USBSport and USBPhile reviewed later when I have the productized.  I am putting the final touches on the USBPhile today.  It has a Superclock2 and external power supply.

steve,

we do sessions on a regular basis so sending it after you have it completed is fine with me. it just gives us a reason to get together again! 8)

after all, there's only so much gear we can compare in a matter of 5 or 6 hours!  :mrgreen:

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:19 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Make sure you have a good transport. :)
    The NY Audio Rave performed a similar comparison with my EA Turbo modded ECD-1....so I'll read with interest the results with the EA P-3A. 8) [/list:u]

And a good power cord.  I was initially pretty surprised at how much a difference different power cords made with the DA-218...but then considering how much wattage it draws, it made sense.  At the NY Rave, we found the Audience powerCord to be far better with it than an Acoustic Zen Tsunami II...(and obviously, you should use the same power cord on the EA P3)...

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:26 pm »
I think Mad Dog still has some Echmann power cords, which should work out fine.

If not, I can bring my Omega Mikro active power cord.  I haven't found anything else to work better with digital gear so far..

Come to think of it, I have an Audience PowerChord lying around as well :)

Mad DOg

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:28 pm »
hi phil,

did you mention something about power cords? and making to use the same ones for both DACs? NO PROBLEMO! i've got 5 audience powerchords in my possession right now!  :D

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:32 pm »
hi phil,

did you mention something about power cords? and making to use the same ones for both DACs? NO PROBLEMO! i've got 5 audience powerchords in my possession right now!  :D

Damn Mad Dog.  By the way, do you like the PowerChords so far (say compared to Eichmann)?  

I personally find them too euphonic, but maybe one or two in a system won't be too much..

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:33 pm »
PhilNYC
And a good power cord. I was initially pretty surprised at how much a difference different power cords made with the DA-218...but then considering how much wattage it draws, it made sense. At the NY Rave, we found the Audience powerCord to be far better with it than an Acoustic Zen Tsunami II...(and obviously, you should use the same power cord on the EA P3)...
Yep, almost forgot about that Phil...made a big difference in the sound...(yes, you really heard it !!!). :)

PhilNYC

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:33 pm »
heh...5 of them, huh?  Are they all burned in?  I've had a lot of discussions recently as to whether cables actually burn in or not...maybe you can do a side A/B test... :o

rlcordeiro

Listening Session
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2004, 03:26 pm »
MD when is the next listening session?You havent mentioned a date. I am really interested in a DAC instead of having to buy a whole new player so I would appreciate the chance to compare DAC's.

Jon L

Dates
« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2004, 07:14 pm »
All right, guys.  Let's throw out some dates.  

I happen to be not working on 11/26 Fri (day after Thanksgiving)  and
11/28 Sun.  

I've now decided I'm going to update my digital front-end and will be needing a smokin' DAC to go with possibly PC-based source..