How much to trust Basta for baffle modeling?

zx82net

How much to trust Basta for baffle modeling?
« on: 21 Aug 2022, 06:07 pm »
I'm starting work on the second revision of my first OB project. It's a fairly low SPL design, DSP driven, with a 3 inch midrange (Tang Band W3-2141) in a small baffle covering 400Hz~8kHz, enclosed LF section and sealed mini AMT tweeter. I was very pleased with the first attempt, I'm making some changes to the LF section, so it is an opportunity to rework the baffle as well.

In V1, for simplicity sake, I made a scaled down version of the LX521 baffle. This time, I decided to model the baffle in Basta. With a bit of playing about, I have come up with something which models significantly flatter and looks more easily DSP correctable, see attached. My question is, how much faith should I put in these models, I'm making centimeter scale changes in the baffle shape and seeing significant shifts in HF smoothness at 0.5dB level. I'm not against just making these and trying, but I am wondering how well these models will hold up in the real world. (The W3-2141 is far from flat and needs EQ anyway.)

Any thoughts? Any comments on the project in general?

For those interested in this kind of thing, except for the stands, the entire project is 3D printed. This is what V1 looks like: