Early Jaguar Questions

Norwegian wood

Early Jaguar Questions
« on: 6 May 2007, 04:24 pm »
Hi

A year ago I bought a second hand pair of Dzurko Jaguars - Serial nr 117L/R - with original stands. I am pleased with the performance, but I feel like I can get a few percent better performance. The bass is excellent, the treble is good, dynamics and resolution are also very good but somewhere in the midrange it feels like the sound is thin and having a phase problem. I can't get the soundstage to "lock".

I have a few Questions I'm hoping You guys can help me with:

- I believe I have early production of the original Jaguar. The very first stereophile I ever bought had a test of the jaguar. My magazine is long gone and I cant find the test anywhere. I think there was a minor thing that was improved after the test. Are mine ( nr 117 ) pre-review? and can they be modified?

- The treble is of-center. Online I have found what I believe is a manual of the jaguar/LFE. It indicates that the treble's are supposed to face outwards. Is this correct? Any placement hints are welcome.

- I have only used my speakers with tube gear ( I'm a tube guy ). Any equipment that works espesially well with Jaguars? - tube or transistor?

My system is:

Meridian 508.24
Counterpoint SA5000e
MFA m120c 's
Cables from Transparent/Cardas and Taralabs.

English is not my first language, I live in Norway so pardon my English. I might have one of very few pairs of Dzurko's in my country so PLEASE SHARE.

Have a nice day

Atle

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Early Jaguar Questions
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2007, 11:45 pm »
Hi

A year ago I bought a second hand pair of Dzurko Jaguars - Serial nr 117L/R - with original stands. I am pleased with the performance, but I feel like I can get a few percent better performance. The bass is excellent, the treble is good, dynamics and resolution are also very good but somewhere in the midrange it feels like the sound is thin and having a phase problem. I can't get the soundstage to "lock".

I have a few Questions I'm hoping You guys can help me with:

- I believe I have early production of the original Jaguar. The very first stereophile I ever bought had a test of the jaguar. My magazine is long gone and I cant find the test anywhere. I think there was a minor thing that was improved after the test. Are mine ( nr 117 ) pre-review? and can they be modified?

- The treble is of-center. Online I have found what I believe is a manual of the jaguar/LFE. It indicates that the treble's are supposed to face outwards. Is this correct? Any placement hints are welcome.

- I have only used my speakers with tube gear ( I'm a tube guy ). Any equipment that works espesially well with Jaguars? - tube or transistor?

My system is:

Meridian 508.24
Counterpoint SA5000e
MFA m120c 's
Cables from Transparent/Cardas and Taralabs.

English is not my first language, I live in Norway so pardon my English. I might have one of very few pairs of Dzurko's in my country so PLEASE SHARE.

Have a nice day

Atle

Atie:

Brings back many great memories! and, your English is terrific, so don't worry about that.

I am guessing the Jaguars you have to be 12-14 years old. Something does not sound quite right in terms of the imaging . . .  I'm thinking that may be placement and or room related.  The change we made to the crossover after the Stereophile Martin Collums review was a matter of treble balance, and it was very slight, perhaps 1 - 1.5db and would not really effect the image as you describe. The speakers you have a very, very similar to later generations. Same drivers, same or nearly identical crossovers . . .  the differences would be the cabinet look. If any of the owners of the newer generations are around, I think they'd all say the imaging is first rate . . .  they may not realize how similar the speakers are.  Is you placement symetrical? Is there anything between the speakers that is causing diffraction? Have you tried any room treatments to absorb early reflections?  The Jags, like most speakers with high resolving power are somewhat sensitive to the correct amount of toe-in. The correct amount of toe-in should really "lock" your center image. Too much and you start to lose soundstage width.  You mention that you have the tweeters facing outward, they should still be toed-in toward the sweat spot. . . .  Hope this gets you started :)