Rejuvenation lighting and bulb longevity

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Rejuvenation lighting and bulb longevity
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2017, 03:18 pm »
That has nothing to do with the NEC.

The NEC has exceptions to the code all over the place. As an example, it allows for the use of conduit in residential homes (perhaps part of a city building code). but it describes the conduit types, wire size, wire type, temperature and even allowable conduit fill. It doesn't allow someone to use 18gauge lamp cord on a 15 amp circuit (as an example).

NFPA has adopted the NEC, as has UL, and all of the insurance companies.

So while local or state "authorities" may write in their own choices for wiring code(s), it is still under the descriptions covered by the NEC. No one can undermine or "lessen" the code (back to the 18 gauge example).

Elizabeth is spot on (again).  To repeat, the National Electrical Code (NEC) is a model code.  Local or state government Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ's) are empowered by law to establish building codes.  In the U.S. they all use the NEC as one of the basis for their codes.  But in the real world it all comes down to individual enforcement.  I've had the same discussion with followers of the NFPA body of model codes.  As a sort of inspector of inspectors for 25 years I know the power of the individual inspector (our state agency had the right to overrule all other building code officials, but rarely really needed to).  The highlight of my career was in helping to develop code and licensing regulations for healthcare facilities in our state. 

Yet when we built our house 12 years ago the local electrical inspector insisted that we use residential smoke detectors, even though we'd installed monitored commercial smoke detectors.  So we ended up with 19 detectors in the house and the first time a residential one went off from brunt toast I pulled all of them out.  He was too ignorant and stiff necked to understand that commercial are superior to residential (are "smart enough" to be located in furnace room (one place where you really should have them), don't use individual batteries that make you search the house for, don't use radioactive elements that wear out in ten years, and of course were remotely monitored 24/7). 

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:28 pm »
Elizabeth was talking about not getting a permit for a project, which again, has nothing to do with what is printed within the NEC book (at least the one I have).

If local and state authorities have all the power, give me even one example of how "their" code contradicted the NEC?

Also, your second paragraph has nothing to do with the NEC........

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2017, 08:53 pm »
Elizabeth was talking about not getting a permit for a project, which again, has nothing to do with what is printed within the NEC book (at least the one I have).

If local and state authorities have all the power, give me even one example of how "their" code contradicted the NEC?

Also, your second paragraph has nothing to do with the NEC........

Yeah, I mentioned two topics in one post, so shoot me.

Example of local code contradicting NEC:  In healthcare the NEC dropped the requirement for isolated grounds in anesthetizing locations (mostly operating/delivery rooms).  The isolated grounds (not just GFI) were required back in the day of flammable anesthetics.  Michigan kept the requirement to prevent a short from electrical equipment leaking to the patient's heart and causing cardiac arrest.  Now, the trend around the country is to go back to requiring isolated grounding due to robotic surgery and all the documentation (computers) found in modern operating rooms.