Living on a small lake/big pond... ???

jriggy

Re: Living on a small lake/big pond... ???
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:07 am »
I can't figure the location, but I've been through Niniveh a few times.  Hello fellow Hoosiers.

Hi timind. It's not in Nineveh. I was commenting to gbeard. He live down there.

jriggy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:17 am »
The house on this lot is a killer historical mid-century modern place. The algae bloom Phil A posted will help. We are seeing the house later this week and will be asking if the residence treat it periodically. As mentioned I have not seen any there in a few years but good to be educated and prepared to ask..

Thanks alll!

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2017, 11:43 am »
And my Uncle lives in Nineveh / Princes Lakes (and Grand parents did). So I know all about the issues you mentioned. Small world!

Jason,

We have a weekender on North Lake (the second largest). It's a great place to kick back! That flood in 2008 kinda kicked everybody's butt, however, DNR had already condemned our spillway prior to the flood. We are back from all the construction issues now, and life is good.

Cheers,
gary

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:44 pm »
A small lake near where I grew up was surrounded by older cottages/homes.  Eventually enough of their septic systems failed that they had to buy and connect/pump to a very expensive treatment plant and 1.5 mile long pressurized pipe to discharge to a small river.  Note that drain fields are conservatively designed for 25 years use, based on soil conditions and number of users (2 per stated bedroom).  The solids that make it past the tank fill the open spaces between soil particles and when those space fill the field start to leech beyond, meaning that partially treated sewage makes to the surface, nearby water, and/or groundwater. 

Waterfronts come in many forms - choose carefully.  We have an old open pit clay mine that has been "converted" to a residential development.  It has no discharge, so eventually will be a mess.  Each house has a septic tank and a pump.  The discharge goes to a lagoon and then pumped again to a small river.  Not a reliable long term solution.  My vote is for a small stream (sized for canoe traffic only).

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm »
I've found the definition of lake or pond makes no sense.  In Massachusetts, for instance, everything seems to be a "pond", no matter what size or whether they are fed or not fed by a river.  When you can water ski on it, I say it's a lake.

jriggy

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:41 pm »
A small lake near where I grew up was surrounded by older cottages/homes.  Eventually enough of their septic systems failed that they had to buy and connect/pump to a very expensive treatment plant and 1.5 mile long pressurized pipe to discharge to a small river.  Note that drain fields are conservatively designed for 25 years use, based on soil conditions and number of users (2 per stated bedroom).  The solids that make it past the tank fill the open spaces between soil particles and when those space fill the field start to leech beyond, meaning that partially treated sewage makes to the surface, nearby water, and/or groundwater. 

Waterfronts come in many forms - choose carefully.  We have an old open pit clay mine that has been "converted" to a residential development.  It has no discharge, so eventually will be a mess.  Each house has a septic tank and a pump.  The discharge goes to a lagoon and then pumped again to a small river.  Not a reliable long term solution.  My vote is for a small stream (sized for canoe traffic only).

Luckily, homes in this area are all connected to the municipal sewer system, so no worries there...

jriggy

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:45 pm »
I've found the definition of lake or pond makes no sense.  In Massachusetts, for instance, everything seems to be a "pond", no matter what size or whether they are fed or not fed by a river.  When you can water ski on it, I say it's a lake.

Its funny isn't it? It varies state to state.
https://www.lakemat.com/education/lake-weed-blog/2011/06/what-s-difference-between-lake-and-pond

My wife is somewhat in the biz and deals with DNR. here in Indiana it goes by size.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:04 pm »
Its nice to hear it, so remain only the mosquitos. As a pool cleaner I can tell you that the algae only go out filtering all the water from the lake periodically without chemicals or with ozone filter to not kill the fish.

jk@home

« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2017, 12:33 am »
We live on a property for close to 30 years now that backs up against the "finger" of a lake (Lake Smith in Virginia Beach), but the city street storm drain system feed into it, so usually is not too stagnant. We love it. Considering we are in the middle of the city, still some wildlife (coons, muskrats.) water fowl, birds of prey, etc. And the bugs usually aren't too bad.

One issue, we have an inground  pool, and at time have had snakes and snappin turtles get in it. Sometimes we can't keep the ducks out, and there have been instances where the frogs get so thick they clog up the skimmer.

And don't even think about having one of those little plastic ponds in the yard, stocked with fish, as the water birds will clean you out. Of course, why would you, when you have the real thing right there. :D

Here's a pic that was taken in the backyard.