Living on a small lake/big pond... ???

jriggy

Living on a small lake/big pond... ???
« on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:28 pm »
I hope this is a good Circle to ask this... Its either here or the "Personal Touch" Circle.

We are looking at this nice property with a midcentury modern house… Its on this pond/lake. The end by the road might be considered a lake, due to its depth but the end by the property in question is more shallow, so may be considered a pond (all depending on what definition you go by --size or depth)…

The body of water is around 200 yards long by roughly 40 yards wide (50 yrds at the wide end and 30 yrds wide at the property location).

I have found many satellite views of the area from different years and different times of year. As you can see there is algae collecting in a couple of the views… I believe it has been treated at this point in time but I am not sure. We drive by this little lake often and have not seen it covered in algae in a few years or more, hence my guess that it may of been treated at some time recently.

Anyway, I have no experience living on a body of water like this and was wondering about the cons…

Does algae like that attract more bugs? Does a small body of water like it is on the property end create more of a humid atmosphere in hot and humid times? Anything else?

I just know I am skeptical of this little body of water and what impacts it may have on any outdoor living. I just don't have any experience with this.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
 jason
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm by jriggy »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: Living on a small lake/big pond... ???
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:46 pm »
As a kid we had a camp on a canal that connected to a lake.  Some years there would be so much seasonal growth (of some kind - not algae) that the water was completely covered.  Other than making it more difficult to get the boat out to the lake it never changed how we used the property.  Of course 60 years ago in a backwoods location in NE Louisiana we had bugs and snakes all the time --ALL the time.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:51 pm »
Jason - not sure where the lot is located and that can have an influence on it.  There may be resources at places like - https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/harmful-algal-blooms or if there is a State organization (e.g. department of fish and wildlife) that can also give you info.

I back up to a lake (it is a total of about 15 acres and winds all around).  The HOA will do things where I am to maintain it.  There are restrictions (e.g. no boats with motors) and I've seen them doing treatments.  Insects could be independent of those things (e.g. seasonal).

Below is some of an older photo of the lake around my development:

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:06 pm »
glynnw,
Lol! I can deal with a 'regular' amount of snakes and bugs.

Phil A,
This is Indiana. Ill def check out the link and see what I can find via DNR...
There is no HOA in the area. Im hoping maybe the residents get together every once in a while and treat it.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:09 pm »
glynnw,
Lol! I can deal with a 'regular' amount of snakes and bugs.

Phil A,
This is Indiana. Ill def check out the link and see what I can find via DNR...
There is no HOA in the area. Im hoping maybe the residents get together every once in a while and treat it.

This is probably the agency - http://www.in.gov/dnr/

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:12 pm »
We have bald eagles in the wooded preserve behind me.  I have called the FL state agency and have left messages for biologists and had their law enforcement personnel come out to respond to noise from building that could be disturbing the nesting.  They are usually responsive.  The last time my neighbor called and I talked to the law enforcement office they sent and rode him around the walking path of the wooded preserve on my golf cart so he could try to locate the nest.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:26 pm »
Phil A,

Thats cool Phil! Good for you guys to call to have them checked out  :thumb: So many people these days wouldn't bother...

~J

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:38 pm »
We have all kinds of wildlife back there.  Below is a pic thru my pool screening of one of the eagles about a year and a half back and a picture of an Otter from last June.  I had a bobcat walk a few feet from the screening but when he noticed me it scared him (can't blame him - scare myself when I look in the mirror in the morning).

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:44 pm »
Jason
I have lived for 5 yrs on a large lake in SC (18,000 + acres) and love waterfront living. Great views and sunsets. One thing I noticed about your pics is that the lawns go right down to the waterfront. We are restricted in the proximity of lawns to the water as fertilizer and chemical runoff really impacts the lake. You may want to get with the neighbors and adopt a no chemical approach to lawn care. It will really make a difference in algae formation. Agree with Phil that the local/state DNR is a great resource and they have been very helpful here.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:52 pm »
Hey J,

Good opportunity for a fellow Hoosier to say hello!  :thumb:

I'm not sure where this lake is located, but certainly upkeep will be up to the owner's association. DNR has the authority to force owners to make upgrades or repairs, so you should check with them to see if they have sent any communication to the HOA about the damn or spillway. You will be responsible for costs associated with that work.  Sadly, I know this to be true because we had to replace a spillway on our lake down by Nineveh that DNR had said was too small --100 owners had to cough up a big check.

We pay to have water treatments done--about three a year I think. We don't have too many issues with mosquitos  (spring fed lake, water moves, and is clean), but muskrats, and raccoons can be a problem. All lakes have cycles of algae, clear, and murky--its a bio process known as "turnover"--but certain types of algae are worse that others. You should also ask around about flooding. How high does the water get when it rains a lot. You should ask about use issues: Swimming, boats, docks, etc., to make sure their are enough rules to keep things from getting out of control, but not so many you can't have control of your own lakeside. And lastly, ask what your responsibilities are--yearly upkeep, insurance, etc.  We are a conservancy district, but you may find there isn't really anyone in charge.

Hope this helps.
G

(sorry I keep adding: Indiana DNR is friendly and helpful, but they no longer offer services to private lakes.  Living on a DNR property is way different than a lake like ours. In fact, we adopted the conservancy in order to be able raise money for maintenance through the taxing authority--it's too hard to get some people to pay their fair share otherwise. And no, our lake is not very big...44 acres.)

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:59 pm »
Hey J,

Good opportunity for a fellow Hoosier to say hello!  :thumb:

I'm not sure where this lake is located, but certainly upkeep will be up to the owner's association. DNR has the authority to force owners to make upgrades or repairs, so you should check with them to see if they have sent any communication to the HOA about the damn or spillway. You will be responsible for costs associated with that work.  Sadly, I know this to be true because we had to replace a spillway on our lake down by Nineveh that DNR had said was too small --100 owners had to cough up a big check.

We pay to have water treatments done--about three a year I think. We don't have too many issues with mosquitos  (spring fed lake, water moves, and is clean), but muskrats, and raccoons can be a problem. All lakes have cycles of algae, clear, and murky--its a bio process known as "turnover"--but certain types of algae are worse that others. You should also ask around about flooding. How high does the water get when it rains a lot. You should ask about use issues: Swimming, boats, docks, etc., to make sure their are enough rules to keep things from getting out of control, but not so many you can't have control of your own lakeside. And lastly, ask what your responsibilities are--yearly upkeep, insurance, etc.  We are a conservancy district, so you may find there isn't really anyone in charge.

Hope this helps.
G

(sorry I keep adding: Indiana DNR is friendly and helpful, but they no longer offer services to private lakes.  Living on a DNR property is way different than a lake like ours. In fact, we adopted the conservancy in order to be able raise money for maintenance through the taxing authority. And no, our lake is not very big...44 acres.)

The OP already noted "There is no HOA in the area. Im hoping maybe the residents get together every once in a while and treat it.
"

gbeard

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:09 pm »
Oops. Sorry. Just a stream of un-consciousness.  :wink:

It's a subject near and dear, as I purchased a cottage on our beautiful little lake without knowing what to check. IN DNR has designated many small lakes as needing repairs to their dams or spillways. It's incredibly expensive. They told us to fix or drain. No other options. $1.5 mil and three years later...

rpf

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:10 pm »
I live on a pond in FL that is very close in size and shape to yours. It requires treatment a few times a year to prevent an invasive plant from turning it into a marsh: not a problem you're likely to have where you are however. But algae is a problem that you clearly will have and you will have to find out what mechanism all of the owners have set up to deal with it as there is no HOA. Unfortunately, informal arrangements are highly subject to disagreement and breakdown.

Insects will definitely be a problem if the water is stagnant. Aerators or fountains will help tremendously with both insects and algae/other bacterial growth (we have two of each on our pond). Of course they will require electricity and other maintenance, beyond the installation costs.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:15 pm »
My HOA also stocks it with certain types of fish that clean the lake.  I've watched them treat it from time to time.  There's also a wooded preserve that tends to have marshy areas during the rainy season.  Here's a picture of the side of my property where the lake ends and the wooded preserve starts.

bearman2

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:18 pm »
In my neck of the woods ( SC) small bodies of water such as the OP posted are called retention ponds unless you are selling, then they become scenic lakes. The pond behind my home is 2x larger than the one the OP posted and requires 4 treatments per year. The cost is covered by our HOA fees.

gbeard

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2017, 08:27 pm »
I finally figured out where you are with this place. My daughter lives in SoBro.

jriggy

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2017, 09:26 pm »
I finally figured out where you are with this place. My daughter lives in SoBro.

And my Uncle lives in Nineveh / Princes Lakes (and Grand parents did). So I know all about the issues you mentioned. Small world!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:00 am »
I can't figure the location, but I've been through Niniveh a few times.  Hello fellow Hoosiers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:10 am »
What do you guys think?
This water seems to be sewage from the surrounding houses, where there is water always there are many insects, especially in summer, in summer this water may have an unusual smell, unfortunately you will not be able to fish in this lake.

jriggy

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:03 am »
FRM... The water is NOT sewage. :nono: I don't know what it's like in your country but this area has municipal sewage and water. There are NO open sewage ponds in this counry that I know of. Definite not any in developed city neighborhoods. We have solid regulation here.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2017, 02:38 am by jriggy »