A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit

skeeter99

Re: A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit
« Reply #100 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:52 pm »
I'd just have to move two woofers from one end to the bottom. It would be just like an OB-7 but without the open baffle part. And it would be a 2.5 way design instead of a 3 way.

So is this center going to be a 2.5 way? Did you already say that and I just missed it  :scratch: 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #101 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:58 pm »
So is this center going to be a 2.5 way? Did you already say that and I just missed it  :scratch:
Time to cut back on the caffeine. :duh: :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:01 pm »

Yes, but not in the traditional sense. There is no paralleling of low frequency drivers.

What I am doing keeps all of them in phase and all drivers play the bottom ranges together, but only the center drivers play all the way up to the tweeter. 

skeeter99

« Reply #103 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:18 pm »
Yes, but not in the traditional sense. There is no paralleling of low frequency drivers.

What I am doing keeps all of them in phase and all drivers play the bottom ranges together, but only the center drivers play all the way up to the tweeter.

Nice, that's what I thought would happen. That's similar to how the X-Voce works correct or is that an actual 3-way? I'm dusting off the cobwebs right now and with the AV123 site totally down, getting that info isn't as easy as it used to be :)

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #104 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:23 pm »
I'd just have to move two woofers from one end to the bottom. It would be just like an OB-7 but without the open baffle part. And it would be a 2.5 way design instead of a 3 way.

OR...Keep the current layout, stack it vertically on a servo sub and call it the LS-C Plus.  :P

jparkhur

« Reply #105 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:30 pm »
LS C Plus  no, we should incorporate two servo 12's in to the LS series... that would be cool and heavy..... literal..like 250 lbs...

edoggrc51

« Reply #106 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:10 pm »
So how long before I can have one these sitting on top of my studiotech stand?? :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm »
That's similar to how the X-Voce works correct or is that an actual 3-way?

The X-Voce is a true three way.

skeeter99

« Reply #108 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm »
The X-Voce is a true three way.

Ok couldn't remember. Thanks for clearing it up.

devste

« Reply #109 on: 23 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
Amazing how quickly you guys were able to make this happen!  Thanks again Danny and Ruben.

Ruben, have you weighed the center yet, as I'm wondering if it will be a lot heavier than the X-voce?

Can't wait to read Danny's thoughts on the sound of the LS center.

skeeter99

« Reply #110 on: 23 Feb 2011, 09:46 pm »
Amazing how quickly you guys were able to make this happen!  Thanks again Danny and Ruben.

Ruben, have you weighed the center yet, as I'm wondering if it will be a lot heavier than the X-voce?

Can't wait to read Danny's thoughts on the sound of the LS center.

It should be substantially heavier than the X-Voce. You have that large portion in the center of the Voce that is open, there is more mass in both width and depth and more drivers. I bet it weighs at least a good 20lbs more than the Voce  :scratch:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #111 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm »

You're welcome. :D

As it sits, the LS-C weighs approx. 10lbs. more than the X-Voce.

Ruben

devste

« Reply #112 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the information Ruben.

I'm sure the LS center will look great in all of your finishes but I can't wait to see how it will look with the rosewood finish.

edoggrc51

« Reply #113 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for the information Ruben.

I'm sure the LS center will look great in all of your finishes but I can't wait to see how it will look with the rosewood finish.

+1  :thumb:

aaron smithski

« Reply #114 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:40 pm »
Looks great Ruben!

Any luck getting ahold of Santiago regarding tracking down the moho veneer?

skeeter99

« Reply #115 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm »
You're welcome. :D

As it sits, the LS-C weighs approx. 10lbs. more than the X-Voce.

Ruben

I would have thought it would have weighed more. Not a problem, just did my guesstimating wrong :)

Skiman

« Reply #116 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:36 am »
Danny, could you comment on how this new design would compare to a LS9 mounted horizontally as a center? Specifically regarding the horizontal dispersion.

Groundzero

« Reply #117 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:11 am »
That looks amazing Ruben! Is it actually white or is that the primer again?

Danny Richie

« Reply #118 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:11 pm »
Danny, could you comment on how this new design would compare to a LS9 mounted horizontally as a center? Specifically regarding the horizontal dispersion.

Completely different!

An LS-9 on its side is not a very ideal center channel.

The tweeter line length is 70.875" long. for it to maintain an even response you need to stay above the first tweeter and below the last one. In other words you have about a 54" range where the response is the same. Above that or below it and the highs start to drop out of it. And if you are outside the length of the tweeter line then there basically is no highs.

So if you laid it on its side you'd basically have to sit right in front of it +/- about 2 feet each way.

The new LS-C has a wide horizontal coverage area just like a standard N3S kit. So you'll have the great off axis response of a narrow (5/8" wide) playing surface element of the Neo 3 pdr. And in this case, the deep back cup Neo 3 pdr.

chip

« Reply #119 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:18 pm »
Ruben....those look great! Excellent work.