Multi channel amp shared for speakers and sub power?

Btrmousetrap

Hello circle members,

I would like to ask you for advice due to having more knowledge and experience with newer audio products and system set ups. My question is, would it be advisable to share the same amplifier for both speakers and using a third channel to power a passive subwoofer? I am contemplating a Nuprime-X MCX3 amp which provides 300watts per channel x 2 and a single 550watt channel. Pro's and con's?

Thanks for all of your sharing on my past posts along with any input regarding this question.

Btrmousetrap

JackD

Re: Multi channel amp shared for speakers and sub power?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2019, 03:35 am »
If your subwoofer has stereo inputs you would need to go to the MCX-4 but if "Mono" inputs like a car audio subwoofer you should be fine.  Info on the actual gear you are using always helps with getting the proper advice.

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2019, 01:45 pm »
JackD,

Thanks for the response and especially the reminder to share existing equipment. The actuality is that I am starting from scratch trying to build a system. By asking my sometimes vague or off the wall questions is aimed at having all of you fine folks provide experienced advice to help determine the best options for me to end up with a solid starting point to tweak later.

My thoughts at this point include a DAC 9, MCX amp in some configuration, Buchart M400 monitors with the possibility of building a Decware WO32 sub. As for sources, a cd and HD streaming along with Bluetooth for my wife. Cabling tbd.

Thanks again,

BTRmousetrap

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2019, 05:33 pm »
From looking at the rear of the sub on the Decware site you would need the four channel amp.  As to the Buchardt's  I'm on the June pre-order list just out of curiosity.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2019, 06:03 pm »
I recommend getting a TBI passive sub for this prupose and calling them to make sure it will work before you buy:

http://tbisound.com/dsp_products_subwmagvisu.asp

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2019, 10:21 pm »
My TBIs are a central part of my system.  Finding amp(s) to power them has been a chore.  For whatever reason, I've been through 3 amps.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2019, 11:11 pm »
Paul McGowan of PS Audio and John Hunter at REL Acoustics say one should connect a powered subwoofer from the speaker outputs of the main amplifier to get the sonic signature of the amplifier into the subwoofer.

I would imagine it would be even better to use a subwoofer amplifier that has the same sonic signature as the main amplifier. So what you are proposing sounds like a great thing, but I don't know if a subwoofer amplifier is designed differently than a full range amplifier.

So in the end I would send the question into Paul McGowan and see if/how he responds.

artur9

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2019, 03:06 pm »
My question is, would it be advisable to share the same amplifier for both speakers and using a third channel to power a passive subwoofer?
IIUC, you have a multichannel amp and want to use one of the channels for a subwoofer?

I'm currently doing that with a Krell 7ch amp and 2 passive Velodyne SC-8.  The set up is ends up being a 5.2 one. 

It's a Krell so it is rated to handle anything :-) and that would be the main issue.  Make sure your amplifier is rated at full power with ALL channels driven.  Many of them are rated with only 2 or even 1 channel driven.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm »
My TBIs are a central part of my system.  Finding amp(s) to power them has been a chore.  For whatever reason, I've been through 3 amps.

I find it easy to overpower them, they don't need a lot of juice.

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:19 am »
I just wanted to share a thanks for the responses. The research on subs can be quite involved. I am looking at the references from all of you and continuing to research other options. I am still intrigued by the decware WO32 which is a diy build. I have no concerns with the actual build from a capability standpoint. I will soon be retired and have the time to build and enjoy. Until then my goal is to continue the system build and use my HSU sub to provide the low frequency fill.

Best regards,

BTRmousetrap.

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:40 am »
If you build the Decware sub and use the Nuprime amps spare two channels what are you planning to use as a crossover for the sub.

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:44 pm »
JackD,

That is the one unknown. I have not been able to find the adjustable crossover answer in the small amount of research efforts up to this point. If it becomes less realistic to use the full range channels from the Nuprime amp, I will scrap the idea and go with a sub amp with integral crossover capabilities. I was trying to move towards less power chords for cleanliness/organization purposes.

Thanks and the research continues 🔎

BTRmousetrap

artur9

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2019, 01:42 am »
If it helps any, the typical answers for XO are Marchand Electronics, MiniDSP and Xilica.  Marchand makes some passive XOs that might help with the cord problem.