What to expect out of the AVA FET Valve CF Pre-Amp? Current Version

avahifi

Actually, all you need is our SET 120 amp with speakers that efficient. Your 97dB efficient speakers will go as loud with 60W/Ch as a typical 85dB sensitive speaker will with nearly 1000W/Ch.  Each 3dB improvement in efficiency takes half amplifier power.

Unfortunately, we can't build more SET 120 amps for about another month as we ran out of faceplates and our vendor has longer lead times to fill our reorder then normal.  Evidently the virus is affecting their parts production.

Frank

AvsFan

Actually, all you need is our SET 120 amp with speakers that efficient. Your 97dB efficient speakers will go as loud with 60W/Ch as a typical 85dB sensitive speaker will with nearly 1000W/Ch.  Each 3dB improvement in efficiency takes half amplifier power.

Unfortunately, we can't build more SET 120 amps for about another month as we ran out of faceplates and our vendor has longer lead times to fill our reorder then normal.  Evidently the virus is affecting their parts production.

Frank

So absolutely no reason or benefit to go with a 400 over a 120? I do play loud and very demanding music at time. I test both speakers and amps ability to hit really hard, that chest hitting mid bass slam during during double bass passages and drum solos. I have some torture tests that I use. Death metal and Industrial type stuff. With that said, SET 120 will handle all that? 

AvsFan

Frank

Another reason I want the SET 400, I like power reserves. If an amp can just simply coast on the speakers I have. And I do switch out speakers sometimes. So having a future proof amp would be handy too. In fact I am most likely placing an order for these OHM Walsh 1000 speakers. That are 88db and 6ohms. SET 120 be good for those too or step up to the SET 400 for those specific speakers?

https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-tall/#wt-1000

avahifi

Given your speakers 97dB efficiency, the SET 120 will be running at about 10W maximum power at your music levels.

The main advantage of the SET 400 would be four times the power (another 6dB of output, not that you need it) and that we can build you one now (well, with a 30 day lead time to build and test a new one for you). We are running very busy.

AvsFan

Given your speakers 97dB efficiency, the SET 120 will be running at about 10W maximum power at your music levels.

The main advantage of the SET 400 would be four times the power (another 6dB of output, not that you need it) and that we can build you one now (well, with a 30 day lead time to build and test a new one for you). We are running very busy.

And what about driving the OHM speakers I just asked asked about?

AvsFan

Also, correct me if I am wrong, don’t your amps run in pure Class A mode up to the first 10 watts?

Phil_S

AVS Fan,
I wouldn't worry to much about the 120's ability to drive the OHM 1000.  I own a pair of Ohm 100M3, equivalent to the Ohm 2000 that I bought about 12 years ago.  They are powered by an HK Citation 12 which is also 60W RMS per channel. They sound fabulous.  In a moderately sized room, 14X18X10, the amp has no problem even with SPL levels at "concert" levels.  Those speakers can shake the walls.

I'm currently saving my pennies for the control amp and phono preamp, hopefully by Q1 2021.

Happy Listening!

AvsFan

AVS Fan,
I wouldn't worry to much about the 120's ability to drive the OHM 1000.  I own a pair of Ohm 100M3, equivalent to the Ohm 2000 that I bought about 12 years ago.  They are powered by an HK Citation 12 which is also 60W RMS per channel. They sound fabulous.  In a moderately sized room, 14X18X10, the amp has no problem even with SPL levels at "concert" levels.  Those speakers can shake the walls.

I'm currently saving my pennies for the control amp and phono preamp, hopefully by Q1 2021.

Happy Listening!

An OHM owner! Talk to me Goose! I am a phone call away from placing an order. Love my ZU's and have plenty of rooms in my house for them to go. But I have been researching OHM lately and they look like a speaker I could live with, well forever. Obviously you love yours, you've had them for 12 years, that says a lot. So tell me more about them. Do they play EVERY music genre well? I've had so many speakers in and out of my two channel room lately that sound great with this genre of music and absolutely horrible with others. I test speakers out with a lot of industrial and death metal. Can the OHM's rock out with that and punch you in the chest? I'm not talking a party speaker just a dynamic, engaging speaker. One that can keep up with double kick drums. But then play Diana Krall with finesse and grace.

And do you think a 10x12 room with 8 foot ceilings is too small for a 2000? I was leaning towards a 1000 but think I want the extra muscle of an 8" driver.

AvsFan

Happy Listening!

That looks like a VERY nice all in one option.

avahifi

The Ohm speaker is rated at 88 dB sensitivity so the SET 120 should drive it just fine.

Frank

seikosha

Careful, you are talking to a guy who decided that his 125 watt amp wasn’t powerful enough with those same 97db speakers!  I think AVS fan listens at loud levels.   :D

Phil_S

AVS Fan,
I've been enamored by OHM's design for a very long time.  Heard the original OHM F in an audio emporium back in the 70's. Fell in love with them.  They are very different from your standard point & shoot speakers.  The sound stage is diffused in comparison.  No matter where you stand in the room you have a sense of left & right.  The sweet spot is much wider than a direct radiator.  It does take some getting used to. They remind me of Maggies actually.  They have the same kind of transparency.  They are sensitive to placement and room damping.  Play around with toe in & out.  Mine are toed out about 5-10 degrees.  This has an effect on sound stage as well as tonality.   

They take a long time to break in, 100+ hours.  It was fun listening to them as they matured. 

Although rated at 88db, they also rated at 6ohms.  The HK gets warm at high SPL but never hot enough to burn!

They like power.  I'm sure the AVS 120 will power them very well but the ate rated up to 150 W!  I wish I could afford more.

Have fun!

AvsFan

Careful, you are talking to a guy who decided that his 125 watt amp wasn’t powerful enough with those same 97db speakers!  I think AVS fan listens at loud levels.   :D

Hey Buddy! How are you? And what were you trying to say? I couldn't hear you.  :D
Man this has been quite the audio journey for me. Which 125 watt amp do you speak of? The Cherry, STM or the Golden Cherry Monoblocks I have currently?

And I listen at loud levels sometimes. Kind of like having a very powerful sports car, you only let lose once in awhile. It's nice having that power on tap though. And I have been told by amp designers before that this is enough power when it wasn't. I had a company assure me that their amp would power my Magnepans without going into protection mode. It didn't. I drove it to shutting down.  And I was not listening at insane volumes. Just some demanding music with some dynamic swings.
I have also noticed, even with my very efficient ZU DW's, the more power I feed them, the more they respond, especially in the bass department. Bass hits hard and tightens up dramatically with high quality, higher powered amps. I was playing around with my Eaton 45 amps that I just recently sold and powering the Dirty Weekends. They did sound good but nothing in compared to my Cherry Amps. Bass was boomy and sloppy compared to the higher powered amps.

seikosha

Hey Buddy! How are you? And what were you trying to say? I couldn't hear you.  :D
Man this has been quite the audio journey for me. Which 125 watt amp do you speak of? The Cherry, STM or the Golden Cherry Monoblocks I have currently?

And I listen at loud levels sometimes. Kind of like having a very powerful sports car, you only let lose once in awhile. It's nice having that power on tap though. And I have been told by amp designers before that this is enough power when it wasn't. I had a company assure me that their amp would power my Magnepans without going into protection mode. It didn't. I drove it to shutting down.  And I was not listening at insane volumes. Just some demanding music with some dynamic swings.
I have also noticed, even with my very efficient ZU DW's, the more power I feed them, the more they respond, especially in the bass department. Bass hits hard and tightens up dramatically with high quality, higher powered amps. I was playing around with my Eaton 45 amps that I just recently sold and powering the Dirty Weekends. They did sound good but nothing in compared to my Cherry Amps. Bass was boomy and sloppy compared to the higher powered amps.

Yeah, it was those STM’s that I remember didn’t give you the power you were looking for.  I’m just trying to save you some heartache.  If those wouldn’t give you what you were looking for, I don’t think Frank’s less powerful little set amp would either.  Definitely you should look to the bigger set 400 model.

I have heard some Ohms.  They were the 5000 model I believe, driven by 250 watt amps.  Very loud and clean.  They have a very unique and engaging sound.

avahifi

OK, you need our SET 400 amp then.  225W/Ch.

Frank

AvsFan

OK, you need our SET 400 amp then.  225W/Ch.

Frank

We changed your mind huh. LOL

I appreciate you trying to save me money though with the 120. I am sure it's a spectacular amp, I just want to make sure I have enough juice, power and current to really get loud sometimes.  :D

AvsFan

Yeah, it was those STM’s that I remember didn’t give you the power you were looking for.  I’m just trying to save you some heartache.  If those wouldn’t give you what you were looking for, I don’t think Frank’s less powerful little set amp would either.  Definitely you should look to the bigger set 400 model.

I have heard some Ohms.  They were the 5000 model I believe, driven by 250 watt amps.  Very loud and clean.  They have a very unique and engaging sound.

Exactly. The STM would go into protection mode on my Maggie's. However the STM made the Dirty Weekends sing! But once I got real power, with the Golden Cherry monoblocks, they handled the Maggie's with ease. Plus they made the Dirty Weekends sound even better than the STM. So from my own experience, the higher quality amp and higher powered amp, with my equipment and my listening tastes, yielded better results the higher I went up in power. 

AvsFan

Okay,I have had this pre-amp for about a week now. And over the past couple of days I have really got to open it up and really listen to it. And man, do I like it! Do I REALLY like it!

retnuh

Okay,I have had this pre-amp for about a week now. And over the past couple of days I have really got to open it up and really listen to it. And man, do I like it! Do I REALLY like it!

Well now you’ve just got to get that SET 400  :D

In all seriousness though I’ve got a SET 120 and TRANSCENDENCE 10 RB that I’m extremely pleased with and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by that amp. Plus I really want to read your review of it  :wink:

I’ve thought about upgrading to that preamp but I’m in a smallish Brooklyn apartment so I lack the space and ability to play at louder volumes to make the most of it, or I could once or twice before getting kicked out  :icon_twisted:

AvsFan

Well now you’ve just got to get that SET 400  :D

In all seriousness though I’ve got a SET 120 and TRANSCENDENCE 10 RB that I’m extremely pleased with and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by that amp. Plus I really want to read your review of it  :wink:

I’ve thought about upgrading to that preamp but I’m in a smallish Brooklyn apartment so I lack the space and ability to play at louder volumes to make the most of it, or I could once or twice before getting kicked out  :icon_twisted:

Yeah, I'd love to hear the SET 400 but that's probably not going to be anytime soon. The synergy between the AVA pre , my Golden Cherry monoblocks and ZU Dirty Weekends is spectacular. Eventually I will need another amp.

And you can upgrade to the Fet Valve, you don't have to turn it up loud to enjoy musical bliss. Sounds just as good at lower volumes as well.  :D