7B SST used and new question??

ChrisBo

7B SST used and new question??
« on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:36 am »
Hello Everyone, I am getting close to purchasing my new amp/speaker combo.  I am looking to buy a used 7B SST and a brand new 7B SST.  The used unit was built and purchased in 2005 and it has the original SST face plate.  I am going this route to fit everything into my budget.  My question is ... are these two amps (2005 & 2008) the same or has there been any changes or upgrades that have occurred since 2005?

Also, is the warranty still transferable?

Thank You.

denjo

Re: 7B SST used and new question??
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:18 am »
ChrisBo

Brystons are a great choice, given the 20 year transferrable warranty! I have no affiliation with Bryston except in my capacity as a very contented customer!  :D After a bad experience with another audio brand, I realised how important the Warranty can be!

I have lifted the relevant warranty transferability information from Bryston's website for your easy reference:

"Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 (February 2006) or higher (date code format is "yyww", where "yy" is the two least significant digits of the year and "ww" is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service.

NOTE: Products sold prior to February 2006 do NOT require a bill of sale for warranty service.

The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honored in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston."

I will leave others to chime in regarding the sonic differences between the 2 models you mention.

Best Regards
Dennis

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2008, 05:32 am »
I believe they're the same amp internally.

Another route is to buy new from a pro audio dealer that is authorized by Bryston. Pro audio dealers give great deals!

ChrisBo

Brand New 7B SST Owner!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:54 am »
Guy's rather then purchasing a used product I opted for two brand new 7B SST's  aa I can't wait until they arrive!!!

Now it's time for some RCA cables ... Should I keep all three cables (10ft would be needed) the same length?  I am looking for something to get me by until I purchase a pre/pro with XLR's some time in January.  Please let me know if you have any recomendations.

Thank You.

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2008, 08:06 pm by ChrisBo »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2008, 08:33 pm »
Guy's rather then purchasing a used product I opted for two brand new 7B SST's  aa I can't wait until they arrive!!!

Now it's time for some RCA cables ... Should I keep all three cables (10ft would be needed) the same length?  I am looking for something to get me by until I purchase a pre/pro with XLR's some time in January.  Please let me know if you have any recomendations.

Thank You.

Congrats on your purchase! I wish I had the 7B's!

You would need 2 cables. 1 for each channel.

I would keep them the same length, personally.

G E

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2008, 04:12 pm »
The 7 BSST can be had in two variants:  The standard serial version and one wired to work better with very low impedance loads.  If one chooses the standard version then later changes to speakers with 1-2 ohm impedance, can the 7 BSST reconfigured?  Can this be done by the user or does it go back to Bryston (and what would be the fee to make the change)?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2008, 04:19 pm »
The 7 BSST can be had in two variants:  The standard serial version and one wired to work better with very low impedance loads.  If one chooses the standard version then later changes to speakers with 1-2 ohm impedance, can the 7 BSST reconfigured?  Can this be done by the user or does it go back to Bryston (and what would be the fee to make the change)?

Thanks!

Hi There,

It is a big job to change from the 7B SST Series version (2-8 ohms) to the 7B SST Parallel version (1-2 ohms) and it must be done at the factory.  With labour and parts it would run about $400 per unit.

james

theonlyone

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2008, 10:30 am »

Thanks!

Hi There,

It is a big job to change from the 7B SST Series version (2-8 ohms) to the 7B SST Parallel version (1-2 ohms) and it must be done at the factory.  With labour and parts it would run about $400 per unit.

james

This is interesting! One question regarding this subject, James, are there any downside if I choose the low-ohm version sonically or disadvantages othervise if I have speakers (easy to drive) that normally would be driven from the 2-8 ohm version? (You never know what the next speaker will be :wink:)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2008, 10:52 am »

Thanks!

Hi There,

james

This is interesting! One question regarding this subject, James, are there any downside if I choose the low-ohm version sonically or disadvantages othervise if I have speakers (easy to drive) that normally would be driven from the 2-8 ohm version? (You never know what the next speaker will be :wink:)

Hi,

The downside is that as the impedance rises above 3 ohms the parallel version can not deliver as much Voltage into high impedance's so at 8 ohms instead of 600 watts like in the Series 7B you would get about 220 watts.

That's why the majority of 7B's sold are Series versions because they can deliver plenty of Voltage or Current from 2-8 ohms which most speakers require.

james

theonlyone

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2008, 12:22 pm »
This is interesting! One question regarding this subject, James, are there any downside if I choose the low-ohm version sonically or disadvantages othervise if I have speakers (easy to drive) that normally would be driven from the 2-8 ohm version? (You never know what the next speaker will be )

Hi,

The downside is that as the impedance rises above 3 ohms the parallel version can not deliver as much Voltage into high impedance's so at 8 ohms instead of 600 watts like in the Series 7B you would get about 220 watts.

That's why the majority of 7B's sold are Series versions because they can deliver plenty of Voltage or Current from 2-8 ohms which most speakers require.

james

Okay, you made it pretty easy for me, the 2-8 version no doubt! :)

theonlyone