Looks like I have a problem with my 4B-SST

Hoiman

Looks like I have a problem with my 4B-SST
« on: 20 Dec 2007, 07:25 am »
Yesterday evening I turn off my 4B-SST and the red light gave a weird color, it was half as strong as normal. After that I tried to turn the 4B-SST on to see what was happening. It didn't turn on. I had to push the button a few times before it turned on. I listened to the music and I heard nothing strange. The only strange thing was that when I zapped from one TV channel to another TV channel the sound was first soft and after 2 seconds the normal volume went through the speakers.

I turn the 4B-SST off and again the strange red lights came. It looks like the red dot light where half as bright as normal when I turn the 4B-SST off.

Is there something wrong with it or was it maybe overheated?

Mike Pickett

Re: Looks like I have a problem with my 4B-SST
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2007, 02:32 pm »
Hi;

There actually shouldn't be any red lights at all when you turn off a 4BSST, so it does sound like something is going on with your amp.  When you hit the front power switch, both LED's should go out immediately.

When you turn on the amp, are the red LED's at the same brightness before they turn green?

Let me know the serial # of the amp, and feel free to send me an e-mail at mpickett@bryston.ca if you want to arrange service on the unit.

Thanks,

Mike

Hoiman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply.

When you turn on the amp, are the red LED's at the same brightness before they turn green?

No first they are at half brightness and then the full brightness, the same as the green ones.

I just turn the 4B-SST on (it was off for 19 hours ) and after a few seconds turned it off again. Now the lights went off immediately.

So tomorrow I will work at home the whole day, so I'm going to see what happens after I turn it off later in the evening (the 4B-SST is on for 15 hours) and then I let you know what happens.

Hoiman

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:33 am »
It looks like it was a one and only thing.

Now only when I start up the red light flashes in half brightness first and then turn to full red brightness and then to full green brightness.

This is normal I think?

Hoiman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2008, 07:38 am »
This is normal I think?

Someone?

rabpaul

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2008, 12:31 pm »
From the manual:
Unlit - indicates channel has no power.
Red - indicates channel is muted (power-up)
Green - indicates channel operation is normal.
Flashing Red - indicates channel clipping.
Orange - indicates channel thermal shutdown.

My startup is LEDs turn red (1 sec) then green and on shutdown green to red to unlit (1/2 sec).
So I don't have flashing or half lit reds.

Hoiman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2008, 07:23 am »
OK, then when I turn on and sometimes off my channel are clipping? That doesn't sound normal.

rabpaul

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2008, 07:35 am »
I recall reading that when the unit starts up it draws a lot of power. I can only guess that this may be a cause of the flashing reds. I have no explanation as to why that would happen on power down. Talk to your vendor and prehaps try it at his place and you will know if its your power suppy that is the problem or the unit itself.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2008, 12:32 pm »
OK, then when I turn on and sometimes off my channel are clipping? That doesn't sound normal.

The lights going red is normal - it is just the power supply starting and collapsing and will vary from system to system. As long as the LED's are green during normal operation all is fine.

james

niels

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:33 pm »
Please disregard if not correct, but, do you have , eh, whats it called, a "galvanic separation" or whatever on your tv antenna or cable tv cable going to your tv ?
From your description when you turned it on again, it sounds as though a pulse, a sharp transient noise went through your amp and silenced it for a few seconds.
I once put my hands behind my power amp ( not a Bryston then) and I accidentally touched the rca from the preamp, the power amp made a noise in the speakers and shut itself down. Had to turn it off and on again. I think the rca was a bit loose in the jacket so the amp lost ground in one channel briefly. Scared me....., didnt use that cable again even though I tightened the jacket to fit very snug.

dinyaar

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:39 am »
Hi Guys,
Almost identical to the problem i had with my 3BSST.(Apart from  problem of the erratic membrane switch )
One day while the amp was playing  at a low volume the LEDs turned a low intensity red and the sound muted. Checked all the connections and restarted and the amplifier refused to come on and the lights were not BRIGHT red as they usually are but a low intensity dull red. They never turned green. Somedays the amp played fine and some days it didnt and i finally got it replaced. Sadly i never got to know the reason this happened as the dealer never got down to  solve the problem.
The Company was more than helpful and answered all the queries as best as they could.
Regards