SST stack and Current - How Much?

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« on: 7 Nov 2004, 06:15 am »
Making plans for a set of SSTs - 6,4,and perhaps a 2 or 3 for the RS that get's use 15% of the time.
Wonder how this set would draw from a 20A circuit. It woud be nice to keep a pre in the same line as well. I have a second 20A available for the sub,source and TV.
The load is ACI Panorama, Essence for the 6BSST and Sapphire for the 4BSST, so I doubt I'll ever make them work hard.

When you start to add the top watt figures for, let's say, the 6,4,3, you'd get a whopping 3450, then 2100 and 1096 for the 4 & 3. These are `all you can be' numbers, but it makes one pause.

Any one with a similar set and how do you deal with it?

Thanks
E

ec

« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2004, 10:46 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem - it depends on how much your speakers draw and now loud you listen.

I've got a 6B SST, 4B SST and a Crown K1 on the same 15A circuit.  I have never blown a breaker yet.  I also have a 3B SST and a power hungry 8" CRT (and at one time a Samson S-1000 power amp) on another 15 A circuit.

150 WPC of power is deafening in my room with the little PMC TB2's I got.  I experimented with clipping levels when the 3B SST was used to power the L & R

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2004, 04:29 pm »
Thanks Eric

I have no doubt you can power a set on 1 circuit and make them work.

Still, 6000+ potential watts hanging out on a single circuit. I know the actual draw is very different than just using a formula like 1800 watts = 15 amps, etc.  The system might rip your head off at 35% of it's potential, so no worries.

Perhaps I'm making up a problem.

BTW - How's the heat with your SSTs?

E

ec

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2004, 09:32 pm »
Quote from: thedeskE

BTW - How's the heat with your SSTs?

E

They are barely warm to the touch when watching a movie at usual reference levels for me.  I listen on the slightly loud side.