Bryston 3B problems. Please help.

Nick

« on: 25 Oct 2004, 04:12 am »
Hello,

I traded in my Bryston 3B for another amp. I shipped it to a dealer on the other side of the country (we are both in Canada).

The problem is now the left channel keeps heating up beyond what it should (It gets to hot to touch), although it continues to play music. As far as I know it does not blow a fuse. It did not have any of these problems when I shipped it. It worked 100% of the time for me, never having the slightest problem. I shipped it via Canada Post Xpresspost to try and make sure that it would arrive safe. It cost me a small fourutne to ship it - almost $100 it had insurance.

The amp is just over 20 years old. About 18 months ago I sent it back to Bryston for a reservicing and they replaced almost everything in the unit. I ended up having to pay for this ($330 I think) as the amp was just beyond warranty.

What could be causing this? I feel so awful. When I sent the amp it worked 100% and now it is having problems. Is it something simple or what could it be???

I don't know what to do? I can not afford to pay hundreds if dollars to get it fixed (Due to some unfourchant circumstances that just came up I am now broke - even my Mastercard is maxed), and I can not expect him to pay. It worked when he got it but the problem developed very quickly (within an hour).

Who should pay for this. Can I go back on Canada Post and make them pay  - but how would I provr that they broke it? Or should Bryston fix it, if one of the components they put in it went bad?

Please help me. I feel sick over this, I think I am going to go throw up now.

Thank You for help in advance,
Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2004, 12:53 pm »
HI Nick,

It may be heating up because the input from the new owners preamp or the output to the speakers may have an issue.
Ask him to reverse left and right 'INS and OUTS' and see if the problem of heating stays on the left side.
The other thing it could be is the 'bias' setting is wrong which is easily adjusted.
Who is the dealer and where is he located?

james

Nick

Bryston 3B problems contunued...
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2004, 01:25 am »
Thanks for your input James it much appreciated,

Here is some more information that might shed more light onto what's happening.

My dealer told me the first time he fired it up the left channel heated up in approximately 30 seconds to the point where you could not touch the cooling fins for longer that a second.  It actually stopped playing music and made a fair bit of squealing.  The right side was normal.  After it cooled down, He fired it back up and all seems alright. During the first test it was connected to some Martin Logan Odysseys.

The next day he fired it up and the left channel got hot but continued to play music. This time it was connected to some Energy 2.4V's.

For pre-amps he has tried, and Linn, Blue Circle, (These two the first day) and even some pre-outs of a Yamaha Receiver (during the second day).

Does this help shed any light on what's happening. I have not had a chance to talk to him on the phone yet. This information is only from email correspondence.

Technically the unit is still mine. While it is in his possession, he has not accepted it as a trade yet due to its new found problems. So I am not quite sure what to do now.

Also as far as I know, it is the left side that heats up every time no matter what speakers and pre-amp is connected to it.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Nick

Nick

Going to send it in.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:28 am »
Hello Again James,

I have decided to send the amp in to see what up. Due to unusual circumstances I think that I am going to give you guys a phone call.

Should I call and talk to you, or is there someone in returns I should talk to?

Anyways talk to you soon,
Thanks,
Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2004, 11:08 pm »
Hi Nick,

Just got back from the Pro show in San Fran - give me a call on Thursday or Friday next.

james