Bryston B-60 Pre-amp Gain

Don

« on: 17 Oct 2004, 03:52 pm »
Hi:

Does anyone know the pre-amp gain of a Bryston b-60. I'm trying to determine if I could run a Denon Dl-103 ( 0.3 mV output ) into a Audio Research Ph-1 ( 48 dB at 1KHz ) without getting into a step up transformer.

thanks.

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2004, 12:23 am »
..not entirely sure of this, but I think I read 12db somewhere.

Hopefully the Bryston guys will chime in here soon..

WEEZ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2004, 05:21 pm »
Hi -

5 dB -gain of preamp section in B60.

james

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
Denon LOMC carts
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2004, 01:26 am »
You need a high gain head amp or a phonostage that has a MC section. The Denons need to see a 100 ohm load or so as well as having the required gain available.  They can sound really thin without it and the head amp or phonostage must have extremely low noise to be at their best. I use the BP1.5 and am thrilled with the performance. I have used ARC stages in the past and they will work with a proper head amp or transformer in place, but they can be a little veiled and rich sounding. The Rogue Audio Stealth is well regarded for use as a MC stage and is fully switchable as is the Bryston, yet about half of it's cost. I have had a lot of Bryston pres and find their phono sections to be among the most neutral and quiet available. The latest piece, the BP1.5 is one of the best that I have ever heard and my favorite to date. It is often a better solution in terms of economics to find a very high quality MM or a HOMC cartridge and use a lesser stage. Rather than spending $1k plus on a new phonostage, you could get a very nice cartridge for $360.
-Bill

Don

B60 Gain
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2004, 12:43 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful comments folks.