Starting an open baffle three way...

DaveFred

Starting an open baffle three way...
« on: 31 Oct 2019, 05:01 am »
I have read lots about the woofer sections of open baffle speakers including theory and simulations, but I have not seen many builds with measurements.

I will be building and comparing a couple different versions and sharing my results.

Here is the first one, an M-Frame with two MCM 12" woofers. From reading about this type of box, I was looking for a baffle just wide enough to hold the woofer and have the base square. With a 12.5" baffle to hold a 12" woofer and using 3/4" plywood, that meant the base would be 14"x14". I am much more of a PAD (pencil assisted design) than I am a CAD person, so I cut a board to 14" wide and just laid the box out. I did have a highly technical scale drawing that I was working from. It went together well. I am not sure if I needed the cross brace dowel in the front, but this is crap aspen ply and I didn't want the sides to resonate. Since I am expecting to cross this over at 200Hz, I don't think the woofers will see the dowel.

No measurements yet.

Low root screws were used to assemble the box, all squaring cuts were done with a track saw, washers and lock nuts were used on the back side of the baffle to mount the woofers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Starting an open baffle three way...
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2019, 01:12 pm »
Did you make them a specific height?

oskar

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2019, 01:18 pm »
Great. Please keep the pics coming.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2019, 02:25 pm »
  Nice shop and tools.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2019, 02:40 pm »
Oh, that dowel cross brace is really clever for a W frame. 

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2019, 08:26 pm »
Nice. My inclination is to put the forward facing woofer on the bottom, but I'd love to know if there is a measurable difference.