SoCal January GTG @ Arians

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
SoCal January GTG @ Arians
« on: 18 Jan 2009, 04:43 am »
This afternoon Arian Jansen was kind enough to host the first of hopefully many local GTGs.  We kept this one small to see how it would go, and it went very well.  Thanks Arian!

Arian showing his hand-built electrostatic speakers driven directly with OTL tube amps he designed specifically for those panels.  No transformers on the output of the amps or the input of electrostats.  Amazing! (the speakers and amps, that is).

Rich is here!

Enjoyin' the music are Gary, Art, Arian, Hajime, and Rich.

My best impression of the "Lone Wolf" pose.  I'm 6'0" so the speakers have me beat by a few inches.  Outside of each the e-stat is a Def Tech bipole tower used to augment the e-stat panel's bass from 220hz on down.  Seamless integration and lots of midbass slam.

Heavy listening.

Arian with his amp prototype.  A switching PS delivers 7000 volts  :o to two 572 tubes that drive the electrostatic panels directly.

Gary contemplating a 572 output tube.

The glow of 7000 volts.

Hajime Sato of Eastwindimport.com.  Got any cool jazz to share, Hajime?  As a matter of fact...  Karel Boehlee Trio, Love Dance.  Luscious piano trio jazz sumptuously brought to life by Arian's system.  World class music meets world class sound.

Studer A810 playing back Reference Recordings' Exotic Dances from the Tape Project.  Of course Arian built his own tube output and EQ stage for it.

Art takes in Dance of the Tumblers played back on the Studer.  Incredible dynamics!

Arian has something special here.  This system delivers the goods as well or better than any other I've heard.  Thanks again for having us over.

'Til next month...

Russ

« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 05:09 pm by Russtafarian »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: SoCal January GTG @ Arians
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2009, 06:24 am »
Nice to see some action in the SoCal circle....get-together's are always fun...and a nice system as well....thanks for the photo's... 8)

Hope it leads to many more gatherings....good luck !! :beer:

Chris

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Chris.  We hope to do this on a regular basis going forward.  For those in the area interested in joining us, here's what we have set up so far:

February 15th, 1-5pm hosted by Russ (me) in Westminster

March 15th hosted by Lynn in Huntington Beach

April 12th hosted by Tom in San Clemente

May 17th hosted by Gary in Long Beach

We're all active members of the LA & OC Audio Society www.laocas.com so we've scheduled the GTGs the weekend before the society events.  PM me with your email address if you want to get on the GTG email list.

Russ

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:23 pm »
That is frakking Awesome!  Large flat electrostats driven by dedicated OTL is what I eventually hope to achieve in my home.  Unfortunately, (reasonably-priced) commercial options are few and far between, so this DIY effort is indeed very impressive. 

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:35 pm »
Glad to see people in Los Angeles getting together! Looks like a great time with some wonderful looking and sounding gear. I'm near LAX and would like to join in one day. I might make the LAOCAS meeting next weekend, if I do I'll try to introduce myself.

Regards,

John

tnewell

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:28 am »
I was bummed I couldn't make this meeting.  I had heard that Arian's system was amazing.

Russ-Great job on the photos and commentary!!!

Look forward to attending all the future events and hosting in April.

Tom