Shameless plug (non-audio)

PhilNYC

« on: 1 Jun 2006, 08:51 pm »
Ragers,

Hope you don't mind a shameless plug here...

Asides from music and audio, one of my great passions is movies.  A couple of years ago, I became involved in an independent feature film project as Executive Producer.  After two years of blood sweat and tears, our film, UNDOING, has finally been completed, and it will be making its premiere at the Los Angeles Film Festival this month.  Please come and see the film!

http://www.lafilmfest.com/tixSYS/2006/filmguide/event.php?EventNumber=4401

I'll be attending the premiere screening on Saturday, June 24, so if you do come, please find me and say hi!   8)

(obviously, if you think this post is inappropriate here, I apologize and will understand if the moderator deletes it...) :oops:

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2006, 08:59 pm »
Is this going to be released in NYC?  I saw snippets of it at Phil's house last year and it looked very cool.

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2006, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Is this going to be released in NYC?  I saw snippets of it at Phil's house last year and it looked very cool.

The process is to screen the film at festivals with the goal of having a distributor acquire the distribution rights.  Once that happens, the film will make its way to theaters across the country.  So we hope it'll come to NYC eventually!

(if not, we'll do a private screening at bugleboy's place for the Rave...) 8)

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2006, 12:53 pm »
Why didn't you bring it to Richard's last weekend Phil? Or are you trying to spin up the anticipation?

Good luck,
Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2006, 12:59 pm »
Quote from: BobM
Why didn't you bring it to Richard's last weekend Phil? Or are you trying to spin up the anticipation?

Good luck,
Bob

I actually did bring it...but it was an unfinished version, lo-rez, pre-sound-editing and temporary score.  Didn't want to put it up on that gorgeous 1080p projector...! :oops:  We're in the final stages of post-production now...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Shameless plug (non-audio)
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2006, 09:12 am »
Phil....Good luck in LA !!!! :beer:
Chris

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2006, 10:06 am »
Phil....Good luck in LA !!!! :beer:
Chris

Thanks Chris!  I leave for LA in about an hour...hope to see some Ragers there...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2006, 04:32 pm »
You missed alot of rain here Phil....and its still raining :?. How'd it go ? Get to meet any of the Rage guy's ? Thanks...  Chris

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2006, 05:15 pm »
It went great!  Sold out screening, great audience...and even had a "red carpet moment"!   8)

If any Ragers showed up, I appreciate your coming and hope you enjoyed it...and apologies if I didn't meet you, but it was pretty crazy with all the stuff going on...

(btw - there are two more screenings next week...)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2006, 05:19 pm »
A "red carpet moment"....with Kelly Hu.... ....great !!! :angel:

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2006, 06:07 pm »
Unfortunately, Kelly couldn't make it...but our other stars were there:

Sung Kang (from FF3: Tokyo Drift)

Russell Wong (from Romeo Must Die) (on the left)

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2006, 04:26 am »
I saw Tokyo Drift on opening weekend. Gotta say I rather enjoyed it. It should also be said that I thought that Sung Kang did the best job of any of the actors in the movie IMO. I also rather liked him in Better Luck Tomorrow.

And I'm very, very curious to know if the character he played in Better Luck Tomorrow is the same character he played in Tokyo Drift. No one has said that it's the same character yet, but I'd not be surprised if it's 'unofficially' the same character. I need to watch BLT again as I don't recall what exactly happened to his character at the end of the movie. But what happened in BLT could be what he vaguely described happening to him in Tokyo Drift before his character moved to Tokyo.

Or maybe I'm just smoking crack and it's all just a coincidence (same actor, same character name, and all of the rest of it)...

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2006, 06:33 am »

And I'm very, very curious to know if the character he played in Better Luck Tomorrow is the same character he played in Tokyo Drift. No one has said that it's the same character yet, but I'd not be surprised if it's 'unofficially' the same character. I need to watch BLT again as I don't recall what exactly happened to his character at the end of the movie. But what happened in BLT could be what he vaguely described happening to him in Tokyo Drift before his character moved to Tokyo.

Or maybe I'm just smoking crack and it's all just a coincidence (same actor, same character name, and all of the rest of it)...

Yeah, it was kind of an unofficial thing...Justin Lin, director of Tokyo Drift, was also the director of BLT, and he was actually responsible for getting Sung the part in Tokyo Drift.  They thought it would be fun to name the character the same.  Here are a couple of that get into some of the background of how Sung got the part:

http://backstage.com/bso/news_reviews/features/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002727707&imw=Y

http://news.asianweek.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=6acd58f3ded0cb2bb0c632556e6ee8f3

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2006, 01:00 pm »
Hey I saw that just the other day! The driving was impressive :o I couldn't figure out who Sung was supposed to be... there was this scene where he talked about being Mexican - ? And the Mafia guy had a terrible Japanese accent. Never mind the nose. Still, great fun.

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2006, 02:10 pm »
\I couldn't figure out who Sung was supposed to be... there was this scene where he talked about being Mexican - ?

I think he was saying something about how there were American criminals who fled to Mexico, but that "Japan was my Mexico"...

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2006, 04:42 pm »
Btw - here's my red carpet moment... 8)

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2007, 10:50 pm by PhilNYC »

PhilNYC

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2008, 05:01 pm »
Hey SoCal AudioCircle Folks!

UNDOING is making it's final theatrical run in Los Angeles!  We are opening on January 25 at the new ImaginAsian Center theater in downtown LA.  Showtimes are 2pm, 4:30pm, 7pm, and 9:30pm every day for a week.

On the opening Friday-Saturday, cast and crew (including me) will be present for Q+A after the 7pm screenings.  Also, there are afterparties on those dates, as well as a pre-screening reception on Saturday between 5-7pm near the theater.  If you're interested in attending any of these events, PM me for details.

More info on the theater:
http://www.iacenterla.com/la

(online ticketing is not available, but advance tickets can be purchased at the box office)

Hope to see some of you guys there!

Frisco

« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2008, 06:21 pm »
Hi Phil,

I just saw your movie last night and I must say it was pretty good   :thumb:   As you may know I kept my eyes on Kelly Hu the whole time waiting for her appearance    aa

So when are we expecting the next movie out? You can be the next Ang Lee  aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2008, 06:55 pm »
Big Congratulations of the movie dude! Very nice.
Can't wait to see it someday.

Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2008, 11:34 am »
Thanks Frisco!

Bob (and for anyone else interested), Undoing is on DVD now.  More info here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50475.0

As far as what's next for my film ambitions, I'm working on a couple of things right now that hopefully will get funded and shot in early 2009, so it'll be another year before anything actually comes out...  :(  These projects have a significantly higher budget than Undoing did, so that will be fun... 8)