Receiver Recommendation

Don_S

Receiver Recommendation
« on: 13 Mar 2019, 09:41 pm »
I am considering the following two receivers.  I would only use the receiver to connect DVRs to via HDMI then HDMI to my TV.  I would also use it for a center channel.  Front two channels would be my main system (optical out from my TV to an integrated amp.  Only three channels total.

I am currently using a cheap switch for connecting DVRs to my TV.  It works OK but no center channel and no decoding of the few movies I watch. But as I understand it, the HDMI signal will be passed without decoding. So no gain there but the center channel should be decoded out.

I don't want to get a lot of $$$ into this as I am not sure how much improvement it will make in TV and movie viewing. 

Brand recommendation for the two or other options.  NO Onkyo or Integra.  My Integra failed because of low-temperature caps in the HDMI board.  I replaced the mammoth box with a simple switch.

Thanks for any help.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-5-1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-725w-5-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6187502.p?skuId=6187502

mcgsxr

Re: Receiver Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2019, 09:51 pm »
Unless the ability to run 2 subs matters, I would side with the Yamaha of those 2. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2019, 10:22 pm »
Since you are more interested in TV and HDMI I would go with Sony for the video. They are incredible when it comes to video and the SQ is good too.

The Sony also emphasizes hirez where I don't see anything about that in the Yamaha description.

Look at the specs under features, Sony Hi rez audio YES, Yamaha NO.
Take the Sony.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm »

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:36 pm »
I'd spend an extra $60 and get the networked Yamaha AVR below. The networking capability provides a number of benefits:

1. Integrated internet streaming capability which means you can listen to radio stations from all over the world.
2. Firmware upgrades don't require you to download a file to your computer, put it on a USB drive and then connect the USB drive to the computer, and find the instruction manual to remind yourself of how to enter firmware upgrade mode on the receiver.
3. An app to help you set up the receiver.
4. An app to control the receiver but this is less valuable if you don't have internet streaming as it is most useful for selecting and controlling streams.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv583bl/yamaha-rx-v583-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2019, 11:08 am »
Not currently in the market, but sympathize with you Don.  My separate A/V setup is a very low priority to me.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:01 pm »
Not currently in the market, but sympathize with you Don.  My separate A/V setup is a very low priority to me.

Thanks for the support.  Sometimes it gets lonely not being a movie buff.  :popcorn: :lol:

I have a friend who loans me BluRays.  If I bring home 8 I might be able to completely watch 2. Three if I am lucky.  And actually enjoy 1. And the movies are selected by me, not just grab a bunch.

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:13 pm »

I don't want to get a lot of $$$ into this as I am not sure how much improvement it will make in TV and movie viewing. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-5-1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-725w-5-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6187502.p?skuId=6187502

But you should spend more money for decent receivers - the sound quality matters a lot - which will drive you to watch more movies - please dont scrimp on what you think is the lowly home theater realm - it can be very rewarding in terms of sound quality and video if you let it

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2019, 05:10 pm »
Sales representative at Magnolia talked me into this one one sale for $300.  Normally $500. But we all know the pricing/markup game.

I do not claim to understand what he told me but the gist of it was the cheaper units (Sony & Yamaha in my first post) I was looking at would decode but not decompress.  The Elite would decompress and be better for the center channel I will add.

Yes, I know Onkyo owns Pioneer. There is no justice.  :roll:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-elite-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6199200.p?skuId=6199200

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2019, 05:16 pm »
Sales representative at Magnolia talked me into this one one sale for $300.  Normally $500. But we all know the pricing/markup game.

I do not claim to understand what he told me but the gist of it was the cheaper units (Sony & Yamaha in my first post) I was looking at would decode but not decompress.  The Elite would decompress and be better for the center channel I will add.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-elite-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6199200.p?skuId=6199200

Good call, although some of those features like atmos you may not use now you will save money in the future if you want to implement it.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:48 pm »

What does decompress mean? I think the Best Buy sales rep lied to you. My Yamaha has a Compressed Music Enhancer feature. I guess a decompressor is better.

Witchdoctor will be happy as its has built in DTS Play-Fi.

Most importantly is has a detachable power cord so you can use a $500 power cord on your $300 receiver.

Enjoy, I am sure it will sound great. I have a friend with three Pioneer AVRs. No issues with any of them.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2019, 01:17 am by Doublej »

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:56 pm »
"Decompress".  I think that was the term used.  I thought all I needed was something to decode multi-channel music to get me a decent center channel. I hoped it would help with some very poorly recorded movies.  Not sure it it would affect TV programs.

The receiver is only going to power the center channel.  The main two channels will be my main audio rig. What a monster 7.X channel receiver to power one channel. :no_hear:

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:45 am »
I recently helped a neighbor upgrade his modest HT system by adding a Toslink cable and iFi SPDIF iPurifier.  I was blown away by the sound quality through his all in one Denon switch-mode receiver.  Small speakers in a small room, but it was fantastic.  Not sure what the model number was, but it was stellar. I have sent him an email.  If he remembers the system (at his vacation house), I'll post it here.

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:32 am »
I just bought a 9 channel Onkyo RZ630 for less than $500 for my man cave. It rocks for the price :D

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-RZ630&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:45 am »
"Decompress".  I think that was the term used.  I thought all I needed was something to decode multi-channel music to get me a decent center channel. I hoped it would help with some very poorly recorded movies.  Not sure it it would affect TV programs.

The receiver is only going to power the center channel.  The main two channels will be my main audio rig. What a monster 7.X channel receiver to power one channel. :no_hear:

Help me understand how this is going to work. Typically when people talk about using a two channel system for double duty as the L/R channels in a multichannel setup, they are using an integrated amplifier with a Home Theater bypass input and the receiver has pre out jacks.

In the case of this Pioneer Receiver, are the Zone Two L/R Pre/Line Out jacks going to be used to send the L/R channels to your main amplifier? Is your main amplifier an integrated amplifier or a power amplifier?

srb

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:04 am »
In the case of this Pioneer Receiver [VSX-LX103], are the Zone Two L/R Pre/Line Out jacks going to be used to send the L/R channels to your main amplifier?
On this particular receiver there are no dedicated L/R pre-out jacks, and If I'm not mistaken, the Zone 2 outputs can only be used to output analog sources, not digital.

Don_S

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:20 am »
Help me understand how this is going to work. Typically when people talk about using a two channel system for double duty as the L/R channels in a multichannel setup, they are using an integrated amplifier with a Home Theater bypass input and the receiver has pre out jacks.

In the case of this Pioneer Receiver, are the Zone Two L/R Pre/Line Out jacks going to be used to send the L/R channels to your main amplifier? Is your main amplifier an integrated amplifier or a power amplifier?

Doublej,

I hope this works.  I had to order the receiver online because it was out of stock in the store so I can't try anything yet. Unbelievable it is scheduled for delivery Saturday and I just ordered it Thursday evening.

My 2-channel amp is integrated. I am hoping the "zone 2/pre line out " on the receiver means it is programmable to just a line out. I would use that as just another regular input into my integrated. Hopefully that will give me two volume controls.  Fixed via the receiver line-out so my integrated 2-channel will be the volume control for the mains.  Since the center will be powered by the receiver I should be able to control volume on it.  That will help me balance the two since my center is much smaller than my mains.

That might let me boost dialog volume and reduce the annoying explosions and other loud noises.  I hate that movie discs start out with annoying noise louder than anything in the movie. I mean the ads touting how wonderful Bluray or Dolby is. I also notice that in a lot of movies when there is something quiet but serious to be discussed the background music is increased to try to emphasize importance.  All this doe is make it harder to hear the dialog.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:25 am »
On this particular receiver there are no dedicated L/R pre-out jacks, and If I'm not mistaken, the Zone 2 outputs can only be used to output analog sources, not digital.

Steve, The Zone 2 L&R outputs are labeled "pre/line out".  Does that mean I can program for one or the other?

I told the sales person what I planned to do. 

srb

« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:59 am »
I can't find anything in the manual that talks about selecting a function for those outputs.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SN29403369_VSX-LX103_En_180302_web.pdf

Only a description of the Zone 2 jacks (Pages 10 & 36).

Hopefully I'm wrong, the nomenclature seems to imply something of that sort.

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:03 am »
Steve,

I hate it when you are right.  I was checking the online manual at the same time you were.  I do not think I can do what I planned.  I was able to use my Integra but I do not remember how I had it connected.

Page 36  "You can enjoy 2-ch audio in the separate room (ZONE 2) while performing 7.1-ch playback in the main room (where this unit is located). Connect the ZONE 2 PRE/ LINE OUT jacks of the unit and the LINE IN jacks of the pre-main amplifier or power amplifier in a separate room with an analog audio cable. The same source can be played back in the main room and ZONE 2 simultaneously. Also, different sources can be played back in both rooms. • To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, use an analog audio cable for connection. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog signal."