More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

wushuliu

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2017, 04:26 am »
That $97 Sabaj Da3 is very tempting.  I don't have anything with the ESS DACs and do have a preamp with balanced inputs.  If it's crap, I could do without burning a C-note, but would be fun to check out.

If you're stateside you can borrow mine for a week. Be curious to hear someone else's thoughts, especially re: balanced.

JDUBS

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2017, 01:57 pm »
The issue on the balanced front is getting a cable that'll work with that connection.  Found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Balanced-TRRS-to-Dual-XLR-3-pin-Female-Adapter-Cable-/172753487932?var=&hash=item2838e9083c:m:manKIBgAPFAlDTlUM0xO7fg

I have a balanced preamp, too, and am very much considering trying out that Da3.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2017, 01:58 pm »
Hi Jim. I don't use DSD. Getting 512 playback may involve extra steps with Foobar. I'd recommend reading the Archimago post on the SMSL Idea. Someone posted this regarding DSD 512 playback:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html?showComment=1496879168283#c6035919678852419577

Haven't tried the balanced output yet on the Sabaj DA3. No noises between tracks with either dac, but I use Windows. I think a couple Android users mentioned something about noises related to new firmware. The only issues I've read so far are related to Android.

Two weeks via Amazon.

Cool - thank you!

-Jim

danabunner

« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:27 pm »
The issue on the balanced front is getting a cable that'll work with that connection.  Found this on ebay:

Oh, so it uses that odd mini-jack balanced output?  Is that really balanced?

Where's a good place to go to see a photo of it's inputs/outputs?

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:33 pm »

Sabaj has a web site:

http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=74

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:50 pm »
I've looked inside and there are definitely two DACs and two clocks, a 45 and a 49mhz. Haven't figured out more than that yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be truly balanced.

JDUBS

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:13 pm »

Weird, right?  4 conductors....I guess the ground floats?

-Jim

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:14 pm »
Oh, so it uses that odd mini-jack balanced output?  Is that really balanced? . . . . . .

Hey Now,

It is probably the 4 pole 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug.

I use a 3.5 TRRS balanced plug with my Sony ZX2 Walkman.
--
Finest kind,
Chris

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:31 pm »
Hey Now,

It is probably the 4 pole 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug.

Correct.

JDUBS

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:43 pm »
wushuliu, do you know how the volume control works?  Does it cut bits or reduce voltage?

Thanks,
Jim

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2017, 11:29 pm »
wushuliu, do you know how the volume control works?  Does it cut bits or reduce voltage?

Thanks,
Jim

The es9018q2c includes the amplifier - it's an all in one package by ESS, so I am guessing voltage via the buttons. Archimago made no mention of reduced bits in his measurements. So that's another nice thing about these ESS mobile chips - you don't have to worry as much about some dodgy amp section being added since they take care of that for you. Here is the diagram from ESS below, I assume these dacs more or less adhere to it:

The SABRE9018Q2C SABRE32 Reference DAC is a high-performance 32-bit, 2-channel audio D/A converter with headphone amplifier and output switch.

uncola

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2017, 04:28 am »
You can get the da3 for only $92.14 on aliexpress!  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SABAJ-Da3-Tiny-DAC-AmplifierHifi-HI-Res-Headphone-Amplifier-Portable-USB-DAC-OLED-Screen-Balanced-Output/32826030379.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.cjYzii

seems like a good deal, I might try it as a desktop dac with 3.5mm to dual rca cable with a preamp...

karnana

« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2017, 05:04 pm »
The DAC turnaround cycle is nuts. Check this out:

SMSL Idea: Sabre ES9018Q2C USB DAC/head amp with XMOS XU208. 32bit/768khz. Up to DSD 512.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-IDEA-SABRE9018Q2C-DSD512-Black/dp/B06Y1WFT4W

Cost? $86
How does it sound? Very, VERY good. Bye Bye Dragonfly Red.
I'm indifferent to Archimago, but he has a good post about it here: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

Then just 2 months ago, same factory, different company releases the same DAC for $63!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sabaj-Da2-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0719FMRKH

Okay, that's nuts but THEN a month ago that company releases THIS:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SSNMKK

DUAL ES9018 DAC with Balanced output. Cost? $97

That's. Just. Nuts.

Yes, I got the dual one. Had to. Curiosity was too much. It sounds the same as the single version, however I'm positive the noise floor is lower and the amount of inner
detail is impressive. I have a heavily modded PC and power supply chain so that helps a lot I'm sure, but this level of performance for this price is crazy. The key here IMO is the XU208. The XU208 and 216 XMOS had to be bought as a separate add-on just a year ago like the Singxer F1, etc. It raises the performance of a usb dac considerably and became very popular. A year later you can find it on a $63 DAC. Crazy.
:o
I was going to buy Dragonfly Red than I saw your post.
Any power consumption difference? I know they both use more than Dragonfly Red.I want to use it with Galaxy Note 4.
How many grams is it? I will use it mostly with se215 while walking. I will use it a 3.5mm headphone cable modded 250 DT880 pro occasionally (with a laptop). Which one do you think would be better for me? Da2 or Da3?

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2017, 01:28 pm »
:o
I was going to buy Dragonfly Red than I saw your post.
Any power consumption difference? I know they both use more than Dragonfly Red.I want to use it with Galaxy Note 4.
How many grams is it? I will use it mostly with se215 while walking. I will use it a 3.5mm headphone cable modded 250 DT880 pro occasionally (with a laptop). Which one do you think would be better for me? Da2 or Da3?

Some people have issues using with android devices. Archimago has the power supply measurements for the idea/da2. Don't know what consumption is for DA3 but probably higher.

karnana

« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2017, 01:35 pm »
Bought Da3 anyways. I'm hoping for driver updates or a root android fix. Da2 and Da3 seems to have close power usage (0.8w). Will wait and see in two weeks...

uncola

« Reply #35 on: 15 Sep 2017, 08:00 pm »
I ordered one too, I like the fact that it has a usb-c port.  That's impressively up to date.  I love not having to worry about orientation when plugging stuff in

uncola

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2017, 12:23 am »
The aliexpress price went from 92 to 97 dollars.  We're singlehandedly affecting their dac market!

JDUBS

« Reply #37 on: 16 Sep 2017, 03:04 am »
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2017, 06:07 pm by JDUBS »

fredgarvin

« Reply #38 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:02 pm »

uncola

« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2017, 07:19 pm »
hmm anyone familiar with using dacs with phones?  my phone has a usb-c port, would I just use a usb-c to usb-c male cable?  or do I need a usb c-male to usb A female otg adapter?  then use the cable that comes with this daC