True Smokers

saeyedoc

Re: True Smokers
« Reply #240 on: 15 May 2014, 01:21 pm »
Sorry, I ment smokey mountain.... http://www.lowes.com/pd_546471-505-711001_0__
Yea, they are awesome. Nice and heavy so they hold heat well, have done a 10 1/2 hour cook without adding fuel.

JonnyFive

« Reply #241 on: 15 May 2014, 03:17 pm »
Hey all, great thread.

I live in a pretty densely populated area, so so far I've only smoked with a "Old Smokey Electric".  It's all I can accommodate at this time.

My main interest is ribs.  I've used a 3-2-1 method at appx 200 degrees, following an overnight marinade recipe I took out of a Famous Daves book.  I have a couple questions.

I have various wood chips (hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan).  Are there any that should/shouldn't be used with ribs?

I soak the wood chips, is this wrong?  Should I re-add more chips throughout the smoking process?

I see some people get that nice pink look throughout, I do not.  I'm thinking this is because I braise them in the middle in tin foil.  If I skipped the 2 hour braise and just did 6 hours smoking, would this be better?

With the 3-2-1 method and the electric smoker (and the wet wood chips) they are always very wet.  To me this doesn't seem right.  Any thoughts on this?

Thank you all for your help!  This thread makes me hungry.

Jon

saeyedoc

« Reply #242 on: 15 May 2014, 03:20 pm »
I do my ribs using the recipe on the Vitrual Weber Bullitt site, I think it's 3 hours at 225 or so, then a couple more at 275. Works everytime.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #243 on: 15 May 2014, 05:02 pm »
Do not soak the wood chips!
Yes they'll burn up faster, but that's not a bad thing. There are actually folks that put the "flavor wood" next to the firebox so they are as dry as possible and are already warmed up prior to adding the to the coals. The food network guy Alton Brown had a great segment about the chemistry behind why you want your wood dry and warmed up before it's put on the fire. Chemically, the smoke created from wood that's burning efficiently (hotter) is more tasty that wood that is kept wet and colder than the point of combustion due to being soaked. It's actually healthier too, as the cold wet wood puts off for carcinogens as it's coming up to temperature compared to the hotter drier wood.

JonnyFive

« Reply #244 on: 15 May 2014, 05:05 pm »
Thanks Bob, ok dry wood.

Using the electric smoker, do I need to re-add wood at any point?  Should I try a completely uncovered method for 6 hours, or stick with the 3-2-1 with the middle being a braised/wrapped portion?

Thanks, Jon

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #245 on: 15 May 2014, 05:31 pm »
No worries Jon, glad to help.

If I was using an electric or propane smoker, I would try >> one of these "tubes" << that hold the chips/dust. Those will burn quite long. That way, you don't have to keep opening your smoker (letting the heat out) to check on and add wood chips. Plus, the tube gets hot and stays hot, giving a cleaner burn than if you keep stoking it with cold wood

When I do ribs, I do a 3-1-1 method. The hour in the middle, I wrap in foil and put in either:
- Dr. Pepper (or Coke)
- Mustard (fancy)
- Apple sauce (yes, sauce, not juice)
- Butter (not margarine)
- Brown Sugar
- More dry rub

My family has given rave reviews of each of these variations.  :thumb:
Bob
Bob

JonnyFive

« Reply #246 on: 15 May 2014, 05:37 pm »
Awesome, Bob!  Thanks so much.  One last question, the "Old Smokey" has a tray in the bottom (8.75" by 8.75") that holds a thin layer of wood chips.  This sits on top of a heating coil.  How would you recommend using the tube instead?  Or would you recommend a new pan instead of the stock pan?

Here's the heating coil that the pan sits on:

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/171095430544_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

Here's the stock tray:

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Smokey-Electric-Smoker-Replacement/dp/B001EK02TY

Thanks, Jon

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #247 on: 15 May 2014, 05:51 pm »
I'd worry that if you laid the tube directly on the tray, it might just burn the entire thing all at once. It's designed to lite one end, and let it slowly progress across the tube over the course of several hours. Like a real slow fuse.
I guess I'd have to see the inside of the smoker itself to see if there's enough room to stand it vertical.  :scratch:

...or maybe use some foil to shield the tube from the heat of the element ...or set the tube on one of the shelves.....(now I'm just thinking out loud).

Bob

JonnyFive

« Reply #248 on: 15 May 2014, 05:55 pm »
I'll take some measurements of the inside and give it a try, Bob.  I see what you're saying about trying to create a slow burn.  Currently all the chips burn pretty quickly because they are all in contact with the heat.  I'll experiment.  Thanks again. -Jon

Rubbbq

« Reply #249 on: 15 May 2014, 06:26 pm »
In my BBQ experience, which is vast, there is no right or wrong way , only the way you like to do it…... And that’s the fun of it.

I agree with Bob, don't soak the wood. You want the wood to burn. You want a blue smoke not a billowing white smoke.  A white smoke won’t give you the flavor or smoke ring you are looking for.

The wood you use is  based on the flavor you want to impart. With that said I wouldn't use mesquite for smoking any meat. I would use mesquite only for hot grilling.... and NEVER use green mesquite for anything.

Tinfoil is a NO, NO in my book. We call it the Texas crutch. If i were going to use tinfoil I would use it in the first cook not the second or third. The reason being, is that when you wrap the meat in foil all you are doing is steaming it.. Why smoke the meat only to steam out the smoke you put into it.

When I’m cooking ribs I like to run the pit around 250. This let’s the rub set up nicely.  Also, peel the skin off the ribsm, Smoke won’t penetrate through the skin. Time and temperature is a good way to go but just because you cook something for X amount of time at X temp doesn’t mean it will be cooked properly. Remember that racks are not all uniform in size and weight. The best way to know if the ribs are done is to pick up the rack at both end and if it fold over it’s ready. Most people think that falling off the bone means it’s ready. Falling off the bone really means the ribs are over cooked.. …..One more tip, keep the pit closed. We have a saying”if your looking you ain’t cooking”
And most of all… enjoy yourself…

This is a good book that goes over a bunch of your questions and has some good recipes
 http://books.google.com/books?id=zoKRq8GDwH8C&source=gbs_similarbooks

JonnyFive

« Reply #250 on: 15 May 2014, 06:32 pm »
Wish they had a "thanks" button on this forum.  Thanks! -Jon

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #251 on: 15 May 2014, 08:39 pm »
Well anybody that comes to an audio forum with the name "rub bbq" certainly shows where his priorities are.  :thumb:
So I'd say that when he says his experience is vast, then he's not just blowin' smoke (no pun intended)

I agree 100% that if you enjoy what you're eating, then you're doing it right.

The use of wraps (foil or butcher paper... "The Texas Crutch") is an endless debate. It's much like our arguments about tubes versus solid state, or what kind of cable sounds best. Suffice it to say that many professional BBQ chefs have won many an award and some use the crutch, and some don't. I would recommend you do it both ways and see which YOU like best.

Very true what he said about Mesquite though. I'd use it for very hot and very fast....steaks and burgers.
I wouldn't smoke with it, it gets too "rich". That seems to be the general consensus among the vast majority of BBQ guys.

"Fall off the bone" is for people that don't know how to cook ribs. At that point it's stew meat.

Rubbbq

« Reply #252 on: 15 May 2014, 10:06 pm »
Bob, I definitely didn't want to start a BBQ flame war :duh: To each there own with tinfoil. As Bob stated many pit master use tinfoil, I'm just old school when it comes to that.... Just like tubes versus solid state, this argument will rage forever...

Bob, have you been to Bogart's is St Louis yet? Skip the Pitmaster/owner is a good buddy of mine

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #253 on: 15 May 2014, 10:19 pm »
For those of us in mesquite country, we've learned that you can "sweeten" the flavor of mesquite smoke by stripping the bark and using well seasoned wood.  Most of the west Texas BBQ joints use either mesquite or a mesquite/oak mix for ribs and briskets.  Far east TX cooks often are partial to hickory and sassafras.  Most folks use what's available and learn to make it work.  I've read grapevines are popular in California.

bearman2

« Reply #254 on: 15 May 2014, 10:54 pm »
I like to use mesquite with a whole chicken on the rotisserie on my gas grill which takes around 3 hours. With pork, I like to use hickory with apple and with salmon I use just apple. Salmon and pork I will do in my electric smoker.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #255 on: 15 May 2014, 11:32 pm »
Bob, I definitely didn't want to start a BBQ flame war :duh:
No Sir, not at all. Please don't take any of my statements as inflammatory. I was just trying to show both sides that "some do, some don't, neither is wrong".
I'm on your side man, totally. It's all about the food brother.   :thumb:
Here's a virtual hand shake and a beer on me............  :beer:

Thanks man, I'll talk about "Q" any day with you.
What part of the territory do you reside?

Bob

vinyl_lady

« Reply #256 on: 16 May 2014, 12:53 am »
For those of us in mesquite country, we've learned that you can "sweeten" the flavor of mesquite smoke by stripping the bark and using well seasoned wood.  Most of the west Texas BBQ joints use either mesquite or a mesquite/oak mix for ribs and briskets.  Far east TX cooks often are partial to hickory and sassafras.  Most folks use what's available and learn to make it work.  I've read grapevines are popular in California.

Sassafras is my favorite wood. A little goes a long way. My father worked in the east and west Texas oilfields and taught me how to BBQ. He liked to use hickory, mesquite, sassafras and oak.

BobM

« Reply #257 on: 16 May 2014, 12:56 pm »
Tried hickory with my salmon, very good but maybe a little too overwhelming. So I tried cherry, too light. I used a blend of the two last week and the fish was very good indeed.

WireNut

« Reply #258 on: 17 May 2014, 05:16 am »
 When I got off work tonight I drove pass a BBQ competition going on this weekend in West Chester Ohio. Unfortunately it was closed for the night, but all the competitors had their grills fired up and cooking for tomorrows competition.

I've never been to a BBQ competition before, but you can bet I'll be there tomorrow like this  :drool:

What I did see walking up to the closed event, was that some of the competitors were using 55 gallon drums with what looked like a standard round Weber grill top cover over the 55 gallon drum.

Looked pretty simple, smelled so damn good.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #259 on: 17 May 2014, 11:46 am »
the fun thing in texas is you can just walkup and be a judge whereas in kcbs sponsored events you have to pay and go to class to be a certified judge.
http://texasbbqforum.com/