True Smokers

JohnR

Re: True Smokers
« Reply #220 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:49 am »
Circular saw is one of the most dangerous power tools... please don't misuse it, no matter how hungry you are.  :o

vinyl_lady

« Reply #221 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:17 pm »
Looks great VL!
What are you using for marinade?
Hibuck...

Thanks.

I coated the brisket with L & P Worcestershire sauce in a foil pan and followed with Kosher salt, garlic & onion powder, a beef rub from The Pepper Palace, http://www.pepperpalace.com/, and a little celery salt on both sides. It spent 8 hours in the pan, fat side up before going on the grill.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #222 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:30 pm »
Vinyl Lady, that looks amazing!
I almost bought a Traeger.....that's a lifetime unit right there!

Bob,

I have been enjoying the Traeger. It is so easy to use and I love the fact I can fill the hopper with pellets, set the temperature on the electronic control and pretty much ignore it for long periods of time. I now put my briskets on the night before. I've put ribs and chicken on at the smoke setting before going to work or to play golf. I bought the 2 shelf rack which allows me to have 3 shelves of ribs, etc for large gatherings. I still use my cast iron Cook n Kettle for small amounts of meat/chicken when I know I'm going to be home and can monitor and turn the meat, and always for fresh Pacific NW/Alaskan salmon.

You are right about the pros not cooking to an internal temp. They use the "feel" method. The KC BBQ Society cookbook says to use a probe and the brisket is done when the probe can be inserted and removed without feeling resistance.

Happy cooking (and eating :) )

Laura

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #223 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:38 pm »
I did just that. And when I took it out of the cooler I had to use a circular saw to  cut it.  :lol:
Hmmm.....  :scratch:
That's a new one on me. I've only done a couple so, so my diagnostic skills are pretty weak. Not sure what happened.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #224 on: 4 May 2014, 04:25 pm »
I don't care it's cold and cloudy outside, It's May 4th for gods sake... It's time for my first smoke of the season. What's under the lid? Ribs of course  :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #225 on: 4 May 2014, 07:39 pm »
I've been thinking about it, maybe a smoked Boston Butt in a week or two.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #226 on: 4 May 2014, 07:50 pm »
Done and in my tummy  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #227 on: 5 May 2014, 12:16 pm »
I applaud your method of leak control.  :thumb:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #228 on: 5 May 2014, 12:18 pm »
works like a charm

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #229 on: 5 May 2014, 03:19 pm »
And inexpensive too.  :D

Charles Xavier

« Reply #230 on: 5 May 2014, 11:35 pm »
And inexpensive too.  :D

Inexpensive ? Have you seen the price of painters tape lately ?  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #231 on: 6 May 2014, 01:14 am »
True, but it doesn't smell as bad a Play-doh when it gets hot.  :lol:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #232 on: 13 May 2014, 09:10 pm »
Salmon for Mothers Day. I didn't use the smoker. I put it on my kettle grill with some Cherry wood for smoke and it was the best Salmon I ever made :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #233 on: 14 May 2014, 03:37 am »
Smoke Salmon is spectacular!  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #234 on: 14 May 2014, 10:51 am »
PeteG, :D

Ive been reading about these lately, It all electric, Right :?: NO charcoal :?:  And you can't leave it outside in the rain, correct, :scratch:
How long does it take to cook a couple of boneless chicken breast, from warming it up to done?
All you need to do is to put a small amount of wood chips in a pan, inside the unit, and plug it in, correct?

I think it cooks at about 200-250 degrees, that sound right?

Do you like it better than a charcoal grill?

Thanks
Steve

I’ve smoked meats in different grills and semi-smokers (brinkman) but never a true smoker until now.
The best luck I’ve had with charcoal and gas grills was to have one side set at the lowest heat
setting and put the meat on the other side, get a big sheet of aluminum foil put some wet hickory chips
in it and wrap it up in a ball poke some holes in it and put it on the heat side of the grill, 4 or so hours later you got some good smoked meat.

But now since I picked up a Masterbuilt smoker I have great smoked meat with unbelievable taste
and very moist, some of the best ribs I have ever eaten. 

Masterbuilt Link

BobM

« Reply #235 on: 14 May 2014, 12:04 pm »
Smoke Salmon is spectacular!  :thumb:

That's what my wife asked for for mothers day, so I went to the boat docks and bought a huge whole salmon Saturday morning and some clams. Grilled the clams and smoked a large piece of the salmon. Yummy!

As for that Master Built smoker, I owned it for a while but the electronics crapped out after about 2 years. I kept it going another year by basically rebuilding them, but eventually gave up the ghost. I now have a propane gas fired smoker which is very simple and works like a charm.

WireNut

« Reply #236 on: 14 May 2014, 06:18 pm »
That's what my wife asked for for mothers day, so I went to the boat docks and bought a huge whole salmon Saturday morning and some clams. Grilled the clams and smoked a large piece of the salmon. Yummy!

As for that Master Built smoker, I owned it for a while but the electronics crapped out after about 2 years. I kept it going another year by basically rebuilding them, but eventually gave up the ghost. I now have a propane gas fired smoker which is very simple and works like a charm.

BobM,

Is it something like the pic below?  Do you have a link or pic to it?  I just have a standard round weber grill. Would like to get something better. 

BobM

« Reply #237 on: 14 May 2014, 08:12 pm »
Here you go - Master Forge from Lowes. You will just need to buy and apply a separate gasket to seal the doors better (don;t know why they aren't included, they are essential to keeping the heat and smoke inside).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411913-95393-MFX784BDP_0__?productId=4459479&Ntt=smoker&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsmoker&facetInfo=

Rubbbq

« Reply #238 on: 14 May 2014, 08:42 pm »
Gas fired smokers are a bad idea. Most gas has mercaptan in it which has a terrible smell. When you use it for long cook times it in parts that flavor into the meat. Get a Weber smokey Joe. It's a little more work but the product will taste better...

Rubbbq

« Reply #239 on: 14 May 2014, 08:44 pm »
Sorry, I ment smokey mountain.... http://www.lowes.com/pd_546471-505-711001_0__